New study: vaping does not leave any nicotine residue on indoor surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
In the meantime (actually, a year ago) first prize in an "addiction science" contest was won by a schoolgirl who supposedly demonstrated that "third hand" nicotine from e-cigarettes clings to several kinds of surfaces. (God only knows how the experiment was set up for the puffing.)

http://www. nih.gov/news/health/may2014/nida-16.htm
________________________________________________________________________________

Study of third hand nicotine from e-cigarette exposure wins top NIH Addiction Science Award

The awards are coordinated by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the National Institutes of Health, and Friends of NIDA, a coalition that supports NIDA’s mission.

"First place distinction was awarded to Lily Wei Lee, a high school senior at Stuyvesant High School in New York City for her project, Assessment of Third Hand Exposure to Nicotine from Electronic Cigarettes. The 18 year-old wondered whether e-cigarette use could pose a risk of third hand exposure, where nicotine from vapors sticks to surfaces to affect non-users even if they aren’t exposed to the e-cigarette use."

---

This bright, young scientist showed that non-users can be exposed to nicotine residue from just one e-cigarette, even if the e-cigarette usage occurred some time ago,” said NIDA Director Nora D. Volkow, M.D. “Chronic e-cigarette use would be expected to produce even higher levels of third hand nicotine exposure, and it’s unclear how such exposure could impact the health of close family members, friends, and coworkers who are regularly exposed to these environments.

---

Judges for this year’s Addiction Science Award included NIDA-funded researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles: Keith Heinzerling, M.D., Mitchell Wong, M.D., Ph.D., and Bridget Freisthler, Ph.D.; and NIDA’s Sheri Grabus, Ph.D.

The "study" description:

https:// apps2.societyforscience.org/intelisef2014/project.cfm?PID=EV040

Last edited:

Mogar

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Dallas TX
How do you explain the results where they found nothing in vapers homes?

There are a few ways that this could occur.
- When the home was being built the laborers smoked
- Previous tenants smoked
- Smokers "visited the house" (putting out a stinky right before coming inside will bring in on the person and it will transfer)
- Cooking of some foods (please don't bash but I THINK eggplant puts off nicotine type substance, but im not 100% sure)

- Here is my personal issue with a lot of these tests. I was assisting in a University Study where they would test for a specific component that was being released by a factory. They noticed that when you got to a certain level of this component, it remained constant no matter where you went. The study published that the component was naturally occurring and was therefore safe. They did not think that the equipment eventually became contaminated itself so even the area's that the component was not possible to exist showed trace elements. (This is like when hospitals were being used to take blood tests for DUI and they would wipe the needles with the swab and everyone, including those that have never taken a drink in their lives, were given a higher than natural level in their system.)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The article is not saying that there is no nicotine residue left from ecig use as the thread title suggests. Only that "Nicotine levels in e-cigarette users homes was significantly lower than that found in cigarette smokers homes"
And that the levels in certain e-cigarette users homes are equivalent to that of certain non-nicotine users.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Mogar - I'm talking about non-detection in vaper houses. This implies that whatever was in the house has "evaporated" and the vaper did not add anything meaningful.

As for the detection cases - that, indeed, could be the contribution of a previous smoking tenant, of the vaper or both.

But the fact that the first type of cases were found, and they were about 50% prevalence, proves that vaping in a clean house doesn't add any meaningful ambient nicotine levels.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I'll pass on Giving them $31.50. I don't like Papers/Studies that are Published to Pay-per-View sites.

This was funded by the US government, so it will eventually be available free. The journal can only hold it back ? 6 months or a year, I forget which. You might also be able to get an emailed copy from the author, or the author might put the manuscript on PubMed Central. But the abstract isn't even on PubMed yet.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
In the meantime (actually, a year ago) first prize in an "addiction science" contest was won by a schoolgirl who supposedly demonstrated that "third hand" nicotine from e-cigarettes clings to several kinds of surfaces. (God only knows how the experiment was set up for the puffing.)

Utter vileness. And here is yet another outrage - see who's the chairman of their "Scientific Advisory Board" - none other than former Rep. THOMAS BLILEY (R-VA)!
The Friends of the National Institute on Drug Abuse

He put on a show of opposing the EPA report on secondhand smoke, conveniently after the harm had already been done, including the years and years of cynical leaks designed to draw out the propaganda value for as long as possible before it was finally released. He should have been exposing the anti-smokers' lies and scientific frauds since the day he ran for office in 1980.
The EPA's ETS Lies
And he only exposed the little stuff, not the big stuff that incriminated Republican President George Herbert Walker Bush himself. And the Democrats were happy to help the Republicans cover it up, because persecuting smokers is the most sacred plank in their party platform.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This was funded by the US government, so it will eventually be available free. The journal can only hold it back ? 6 months or a year, I forget which. You might also be able to get an emailed copy from the author, or the author might put the manuscript on PubMed Central. But the abstract isn't even on PubMed yet.

Yeah... It will have Free Access sooner or Later.

And it is just a Pilot "Study" to get a Warm-n-Fuzz feel about should/shouldn't another Study should be Done.

I just kinda have a Peeve about people Hawking studies via Pay-per-View sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread