New Surcharge For TN State Workers Who Smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
QUIT OR PAY!

Big Brother is forcing their hand again. ...A friend of mine who works for the state of TN just received this email from the Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration Commissioner Dave Goetz:

The State, Local Education and Local Government insurance Committees have approved a plan which will put in place a $50 per-month tobacco surcharge and quitter's refund for all plan members who use tobacco. This surcharge will be implemented Jan. 1, 2010.

This effort is intended to encourage plan members to take appropriate steps toward giving up the use of tobacco products, while providing them with a variety of resources and cessation options.

The approval of this initiative comes just as a significant increase in the federal tobacco tax is engaged, and this might be the added incentive that convinces one of our insureds to quit.

The surcharge will apply to all active employees, retirees and covered spouses and will be collected through payroll deduction in the same manner as current insurance premiums. Anyone who wants to avoid paying the surcharge will need to quit using tobacco products by June 1, 2009.

Members who make the decision to give up tobacco after the program's implementation will be eligible for aQuitter's Refund. Of the more than one dozen states with active tobacco surcharge programs, Tennessee is the only state where a refund will be available to members who successfully kick the habit.

Members who still use tobacco have access to a variety of resources to safely and effectively quit using tobacco, which will be paid for using surcharge funds. All plan members will be given full access to a variety of cessation options.

Members now have immediate access to FREE tobacco cessation counseling though the Tennessee Department of Health Tobacco Quitline by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visiting Tennessee Tobacco Quitline (1-800-784-8669).

It goes without saying that the health and wellness of our employees is paramount and as the administrator for their health plan, we must take steps to ensure state workers and plan members have access to resources which help improve their long-term health status.

The attached overview provides a full explanation of the surcharge. Additional information is also available at Benefits Administration - Department of Finance & Administration.

This is the attachment:

State Group Insurance Program
Tobacco Surcharge Overview
At its March 31 meeting, the State, Local Education and Local Government Insurance
Committees approved a plan that calls for the implementation of a $50 per-month tobacco
surcharge for those members who use tobacco, which will go into effect Jan. 1, 2010.
These policy changes are intended to encourage plan members to take appropriate steps toward giving up use of tobacco products, although it remains voluntary.

Members who incur the surcharge will have access to a variety of resources to safely and
effectively quit using tobacco, which will be paid for using surcharge funds. These resources
include:​
•​
Chantix and Zyban as covered by pharmacy benefit plan

•​
Free offers or discounts for patches, lozenges and gum

•​
Free tobacco cessation counseling though the Tennessee Department of Health Tobacco

The Insurance Committees will vote in April on coverage of specific medications and resources. The Tobacco Quitline is available immediately for those wishes to begin the quitting process now.

During the annual transfer period in the fall, plan members will be required to submit a signed
Tobacco Surcharge Form attesting to their use or lack thereof of tobacco products during the
previous three months. The surcharge will apply to all active employees, retirees and covered
spouses and will be collected through post-tax payroll deduction.

Those who indicate they or their covered spouse uses tobacco will pay the $50 per-month
surcharge. Every plan member will need to submit the completed form. Members who do not
return their completed Tobacco Surcharge Form will also pay the $50 per month surcharge, even if they or their spouses do not smoke.

The state will take a graduated approach to assessing fines from employees who provide false information on their Tobacco Surcharge Form. For those members who successfully quit using tobacco after the surcharge is implemented, a
Quitter’s Refund will be available. Members who pay at least six months of the surcharge will be eligible to receive a $300 refund for remaining tobacco-free for six months and an additional $300 for remaining tobacco-free for an additional six months (one year total).

Of the more than one dozen state government plans with active tobacco surcharge programs,
Tennessee will be the only one to offer a refund for those members who become tobacco-free.
This initiative is the first of several steps to encourage positive habits among plan members as they relate to tobacco use, wellness habits and overall health. The Insurance Committees will be considering other programs for Plan Years 2011 and beyond.

A healthier membership in the State Group Insurance Program can help keep plan costs
affordable for all members.For more information about the tobacco surcharge, visit the Benefits Administration Web site at​

I wonder if this is the future of all state workers in every state? Also, how will this effect the users of PV's? Will they still consider it "smoking"?

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
I thought it was strange that they offered discounts on Chantix and Zyban.

The whole thing is a mess and it just makes me wonder what are they going to control next???

It could be like Nuck says with a "obesity tax", or like Lucky said they'll go after alcohol next. Who really knows??? Eventually yoou won't be able to get a job unless you are a perfect (in their opinion) person.

Ultimately we're loosing out freedoms left and right, and being fined for not complying. The more we give up, the more they want us to give up and pay if we don't. The epitomy of "nanny".

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
Yes we're losing our freedoms left and right, but you all elected OBAMA and it's going to get worse. LOL What kills me is they want everyone to quit smoking, but then we find an alternative with vaping to stop the tobacco that a large percentage of us wouldn't have been able to without it, and they want to take that away from us. Talk about shaking head. This is just getting ridiculous.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
If we are indeed drug addicts like the politicos say, isn't this against the Americans with Disability's Act?
I've been wondering about this for awhile.

Drugs have to have a therapeutic benefit, so the only way Chantix could be approved was agreement that it treats the disease or condition of nicotine addiction, which should then also mean that nicotine addicts are covered by the ADA.

However, nicotine addiction can be "remediated" by quitting smoking or using NRT, which makes the condition not covered by the ADA.

HOWEVER, you can become covered by the ADA for alcohol addiction if you go into rehab.

Therefore I wonder if employment regs barring nicotine use (as contrasted with tobacco) could be successfully fought given that NRT is a method of remediating the condition on par with alcohol rehab. BUT that would only work for persons actually "remediating the condition" which means the goal has to be ending the nicotine addiction.

I think as with all things smoking related, they've pretty well locked it in to a Quit Or Die box.

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
Yes we're losing our freedoms left and right, but you all elected OBAMA and it's going to get worse. LOL What kills me is they want everyone to quit smoking, but then we find an alternative with vaping to stop the tobacco that a large percentage of us wouldn't have been able to without it, and they want to take that away from us. Talk about shaking head. This is just getting ridiculous.

Obama works for the State, Local Education and Local Government Insurance Committees of TN? News to me ...

mikeallison

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nashville, TN

This is a thread about TN state doing this. TN is a very strong majority conservative state. Blaming this on party politics doesn't help the situation. It's just bad politics. Obama has nothing to do with this.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration said:

The state will take a graduated approach to assessing fines from employees who provide false information on their Tobacco Surcharge Form...

TortureDevices-e.jpg

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
I wonder when they will charge an obesity tax, and a saturated fat charge. Maybe a contact sports charge.

I really HATE the footprint of government in my life. It seems to be picking up speed too.

Nuck, I realize you often talk tongue-in-cheek, but on this one you are so right about the future of Health Care.

jburns

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
North Carolina
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they going to start charging people's pay checks if they drink too?

This is getting out of hand!!!!!!!!!

NC is proposing, and it looks like it will pass, to limit state employees and retirees who are smokers to 70/30 health insurance. Non-smokers are eligible for 80/20 or 90/10. I have paid extra for the maximum coverage for my family for over 30 years. Now that I am retired and getting to the age where I am more likely to need the coverage it looks like it will be denied.

The way the bill is written presently it will hinge on nicotine in the blood. That would include E-cigs but also the other stop smoking aids such as the patch or gum. Not sure they can enforce that without major lawsuits, but right now everyone seems to be on a feeding frenzy against the evils of smoking and common sense is non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread