The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to all this, i think i might start thinking of building.. advice?

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by James61585, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. James61585

James61585 Full Member

May 23, 2019
    So ive been vaping for about a month now. ive been using a baton system and a supertank on a smok mod. I want to get an RDA and build myself..... advice?

• Like Like x 3
  2. James61585

James61585 Full Member

May 23, 2019
    Type of wire, type of coil, build sytle??? just throwing this around

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi James,
    Take a run past your local vape shop.
    They may even offer classes on coiling and wicking.
    At the very least, you can get a bit of advice and a close look at what options are out there.
    Pre-made, simple coils are a great (cheap) way to begin rebuilding. (IMO: SS316)
    Pick up a box of Sally's rayon or the cotton brand of the week.

Start slow. Don't buy the first thing you see.
    Get details (photos) so you can research the items that appeal to you.

Have fun
    I
    Depends on the RDA and how you vape. Have you considered Mesh? (Wotofo Profile)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Building isn’t difficult but it does require some knowledge. A VV mod is best to start with because the included safety features and ohm meter can save problems.

There are numerous tutorials online. Some states, such as mine actually make it illegal for shops to offer classes on coil building so that venue may be a no go for you but the internet is full of stuff.

RDAs are simplest to build on. They’re a lot less complicated generally. Watch some build videos on the specific device you choose. Every device is a bit different so specific examples will produce a better result.

It would help a lot if we knew which model of mod you have. SMOK makes a lot of stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I agree with @Izan, start simple.

I prefer SS316 which I get from Advanced Vape Supply- because I can use SS in power or TC. Nothing wrong with Kanthal if you only use power mode though. Those are the only two wire types I’ve used, so I can’t comment on the others.

Pull up Steam Engine and play with the coil calculator. That will give you a good idea of what gauge of wire will work best for you.

I’d recommend looking for a single coil to start, for simplicity’s sake.

Think about what wattage you prefer to vape at, and what wire will get you to the proper ohms without too many wraps or too few.

I use fused Clapton so I’m at 6/7 wraps 3 mm ID around .3 ohms - but with round, you’d be able to fit more wraps in most RDAs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq Self-Proclaimed Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    There's an infinite variety of possibilities. When I was starting out with rebuildables I had good results with the Geekvape F206 N80 Alpha Braid 2-in-1 pack using Cotton Bacon Prime wicking.

• Like Like x 2
  7. greek mule

greek mule Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    When picking out an RDA, start with what kind of vape you want. MTL or DL.

Figure out how many coils you want in it. For a beginner I suggest starting with a single coil. It makes things a lot easier for a beginner.

After that determine if you want a lot of airflow, or if you want it restricted. Just looking at the airflow on the top caps will give a decent idea of the amount of airflow most of the time. Larger holes = more airflow.

This will all narrow down your options to just a few options. Or you could answer those questions here and get recommendations.

After you have the RDA picked out, then you can figure out what kind and size of wire you need.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. CublalaLand

CublalaLand Moved On

Jun 26, 2019
    Ebay has vape tool kits for around $13 that'll include everything you need to start building. I bought one that included 15m of fused clapton coil, cotton, and a squonk-refilling bottle. I'd watched enough videos of reviewers doing builds on youtube to already have a good understanding what to do. Building is fun, imo.

I also bought some 28g Ka1 for simpler builds, and dual coils. What kind of wire to choose will depend on your vaping style. I like lower wattage vaping, so Kanthals resistance suits that purpose. Most builds come out between .5 - 1 ohm. If you're going for low ohm, .2 - .5, SS316 is more appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I don't know why everyone makes this so complicated. Pick up a Drop RDA, some 26g kanthal wire and some cotton. Wrap a pair of coils, install them, wick them then drip it and rip it. DONE!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    LOL your advice would have killed me instantly if I followed it. Of course, I am an "impaired" vaper.

As one (you certainly may not be) I did find some tools such as wrapping tools SORT of helpful in the beginning. You don't need THAT much, no. I liked my coilmaster 510 tab to build on at first, a) as a stable base and b) to leak liberally all over without killing an expensive mod.

Honestly to start, I bought some clones. It helped me as I failed, failed, failed again until I improved. I can vape those clones now, but it gave me experience with different types of decks.

I did not start believing in the power of RTAs not leaking until I use Rayon. Whether it was my "moment" or the rayon I have no clue but I LOVE it and I suggest you try different wicking materials to see what floats your boat.

I wouldn't call me an "expert" coil builder or RTA user (I have a fine motor tremor) but it is INFINITELY easier than it was in the beginning. I would call me "serviceable" on a "good day" and I can get it done. Some folks go all nuts on builds (and OH YAH do NOT start with a dual coil deck.... Just save it for when you are feeling high and mighty and ready) but for the love of god don't START with one.

Best of luck, I hope some of my failure helps you.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I guess I am one of the few oddballs. The drop was the only rda I disliked so much that I sold it instead of just placing it on my "probably never going to use again" atty rack. I'm pretty sure it is the only rda I have ever sold, I tend to just collect it all. But the drop didn't do it for me at all, and I tried everything with it, worked with it every day for weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    That's how I feel about the POS Dead Rabbit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I never bought one. But I tried one out a couple of times and was less than impressed. I feel the drop was better than the dead rabbit, and from me that is a strong statement.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It’s he weirdness of vaping. People like or don’t like different stuff kind of randomly. “Best” is very subjective.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    This is why when I make any recommendations, I will typically state that I like restricted DL single coils and word it like "my favorite" or "the best for me". I see some do the same but I kind of wish that was more common of a practice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Don29palms

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    That's why you very rarely see me post anything about single coil RDAs. I personally have never tried one I like and have given away the single coil RDAs I had. I like airy dual coil RDAs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I can't see calling something a dead rabbit going anywhere good. I love my bunnies and I MISS them so. Bunnies are the best in AZ. The hop, skip, jump have babies and most of all don't want to kill you.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  19. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I try to do that too. It’s both not always successful and doesn’t always come out as intended. Part of the problem is people assume, often quite rightly that to quote Theodore Surgeon, “90% of everything is crud”.

This is less clear with ecigs. Certainly there is some stuff that IS crud, but with a lot of it it can be quite subjective. The best that can be done is to weed out the very very bad. “Best” is a difficult thing to attain or even identify.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Doffy

Doffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    i agree with others

start simple, just single strand contact coil

but keep in mind, myself, izan etc who say this started out when that's all there was. We all started out on 32awg kanthal

maybe it is better to start complex, but i wouldn't know, cause i didn't have that option :oops:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.