New to DIY, and have questions about alcohol base in my flavorings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattop8

Oct 2, 2014
Tulare, Ca. USA
I got several flavors from Capellas, and noticed that some of the flavors are diluted in alcohol instead of PG. I am wondering if changes need to be made to my calculations? (Since E juice Me Up Calculator just has PG/VG selections for the flavors.) Also, what (if any) steeping methods are changed by the alcohol, besides opening the bottle to let it evaporate? Thanks for your support!

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have used the Watkins flavorings at Walmart and some were alcohol based. I liked them. I also make my menthol with Everclear. I think it will be fine. I have read where people steeped their juice with the lid off and said it let the alcohol evaporate but I've never done that and I have had very good results. Good luck to you and happy mixing.

mattop8

Oct 2, 2014
Tulare, Ca. USA
It's on the 3rd day of steeping, and I haven't vaped it yet because of the overwhelming alcohol smell. It's 12% Cinnamon Coffee Cake, 5% Green Apple (both alcohol based), and 3% Coconut. All Capellas flavors. I was waiting for a better smell before trying it...at first, it smelled like Cinnamon Schnapps. I was going for an Apple Crumb Cake type of flavor.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
It's on the 3rd day of steeping, and I haven't vaped it yet because of the overwhelming alcohol smell. It's 12% Cinnamon Coffee Cake, 5% Green Apple (both alcohol based), and 3% Coconut. All Capellas flavors. I was waiting for a better smell before trying it...at first, it smelled like Cinnamon Schnapps. I was going for an Apple Crumb Cake type of flavor.

Uncap it and let it sit for 24 hours.

You can speed things along by putting the juice, uncapped, in a warm water bath. I use a crock pot. A microwave would work as well, heating the juice to speed the evaporation of the alcohol.

Be careful with the microwave; it can heat the liquid higher than the boiling temp of water, and it might not boil over until you go to take it out, and then spurt a jet of molten lava. There is a thread or two here about speed-steeping in a microwave, and reading those for precautions is a good idea. Personally, I am content to spend a few hours doing things in a more controlled fashion, since you could destroy your juice, as well as burn the heck out of yourself, heating it in a microwave oven.

Here is one thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-ejuice-diy-mixing-tutorial.html#post14181522

Thank all of you for your advice! I have let it sit uncapped for over 24 hours. I also vaped it first and it tastes like cinnamon red hots, instead of cinnamon crumb cake. I am still letting it evaporate & steep and at last mix it still has too much 'hot style cinnamon' than I would like. I'm thinking of putting some VG (with my strength of Nicotine, so not to dilute the nic strength) in it to tone it down. Thanks to everyone for your time and help. This is a great forum and you guys are the heart, helping newbs like me!

Thank all of you for your advice! I have let it sit uncapped for over 24 hours. I also vaped it first and it tastes like cinnamon red hots, instead of cinnamon crumb cake. I am still letting it evaporate & steep and at last mix it still has too much 'hot style cinnamon' than I would like. I'm thinking of putting some VG (with my strength of Nicotine, so not to dilute the nic strength) in it to tone it down. Thanks to everyone for your time and help. This is a great forum and you guys are the heart, helping newbs like me!

Don't neglect to measure and record the amount of VG/nic you use to get it where you like it. That can be used to back-calculate what you should use in the future.

Actually I made a 10 ml bottle of 5 ml PG, 4.4 ml of VG, AND 0.6 ml of Nicotine\VG base. Added it to the mix and I'm still not in love with it personally, but I'll let it steep & mix and learn from my experience. And all the experience learned from the great members on this forum. (And I would not put mix, especially alcohol based, in a microwave. Too unpredictable. Maybe warm water in microwave, then let it sit in hot water.) Thanks guys.

I've been making a great Capellas 7% Coconut/5% Sweet Strawberry with (100% VG Nicotine Base) 6% Nicotine, at a 70% VG 30% PG Ratio that comes out really well if you like fruity flavors. (I'm a coconut junkie.) I'm just waiting for Capellas to ship my Vanilla, Vanilla Custard, Sweet Cream, and Graham Cracker flavors to perfect my recipes.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I've been making a great Capellas 7% Coconut/5% Sweet Strawberry with (100% VG Nicotine Base) 6% Nicotine, at a 70% VG 30% PG Ratio that comes out really well if you like fruity flavors. (I'm a coconut junkie.) I'm just waiting for Capellas to ship my Vanilla, Vanilla Custard, Sweet Cream, and Graham Cracker flavors to perfect my recipes.

Try the coconut with the cap's vanilla custard you will be amazed. Recommend 12%

My Sweet Strawberry/Coconut recipe is inspired by Vape Gem's Saphire, but mine has more Coconut since I'm a coconut junkie. But I mixed some of mine with Eve's E-Liquid's Lake Custard flavor and it was great! I can't wait for my order to get here. I also got the Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble flavor witch is the description for Vape Gem's Blue Garnet, that I loved the smell of in the store, but they only had it in 0% and it was before I got my own nicotine.

Note that 6% nicotine is equivalent to 60 mg/ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread