new to DIY need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUE3N

Feb 20, 2018
Hey everyone

Really nervous ordered some DIY stuff and would like some tips regarding what to mix and at what % im going to be using syringes planning on getting a scale next month this is what ive ordered......TIA

MILK - CB (cloud burst)
COOKIES AND CREAM - CB
PANCAKE - TFA
PEACH - CB
APRICOT - CB
MIXED BERRIES - CB
ICE - CB
TUTTI FRUITY - CB
SWEETNER - CB
1L VG
500ML PG
50ML PG NIC (36%)

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Peach with a tiny bit of milk in it could go down well. At least for me. juice is so subjective though. If you’ve got an rda maybe mix a tiny amount of each flavor straight so you can get an idea of what they taste like individually and what you like and don’t like.

MUE3N

Feb 20, 2018
Peach with a tiny bit of milk in it could go down well. At least for me. juice is so subjective though. If you’ve got an RDA maybe mix a tiny amount of each flavor straight so you can get an idea of what they taste like individually and what you like and don’t like.

okay and at what % i was thinking 15% flavor in total never mixed before and i see alot of recipes have that as a default?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The maximum flavorings I mix at are 10% (total flavorings). Many recipes and storebought juices are overflavored in my opinion, though. If you are coming from storebought you may want to start lower. It's really hard to tell how "strong" a flavor mix will be and what it will taste like without steeping. I started with single flavor mixes (after having tasted a lot of storebought juice and read a lot of recipes) and then after steeping combined them in my tank. It helped me work out steeping times and gave me a good sense of what flavors do individually. It helped me in figuring out what went well with what and I design my own recipes, but there is nothing wrong with following a recipe that looks good to you either. I'd really advise steeping and starting slow. I felt it was worthwhile, and I find myself to be a fairly proficient DIY-er these days. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, and be patient.

Those are two very important DIY skills. Mix small batches, so you can see how you like them as they age, too. I kind of recommend having storebought around as you steep-- if you hate a flavor, you may be able to improve it by mixing with storebought too, as your eliquids age. But you can jump in anywhere, every mix you do will be more experience under your belt. Overflavoring can be as bad as underflavoring, FWIW.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
okay and at what % i was thinking 15% flavor in total never mixed before and i see alot of recipes have that as a default?
That’s common. There are a few that are much stronger though. The ice I suspect is pretty potent as well as the milk. Perceived potency is subjective too though.

MUE3N

Feb 20, 2018
The maximum flavorings I mix at are 10% (total flavorings). Many recipes and storebought juices are overflavored in my opinion, though. If you are coming from storebought you may want to start lower. It's really hard to tell how "strong" a flavor mix will be and what it will taste like without steeping. I started with single flavor mixes (after having tasted a lot of storebought juice and read a lot of recipes) and then after steeping combined them in my tank. It helped me work out steeping times and gave me a good sense of what flavors do individually. It helped me in figuring out what went well with what and I design my own recipes, but there is nothing wrong with following a recipe that looks good to you either. I'd really advise steeping and starting slow. I felt it was worthwhile, and I find myself to be a fairly proficient DIY-er these days. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, and be patient.

Those are two very important DIY skills. Mix small batches, so you can see how you like them as they age, too. I kind of recommend having storebought around as you steep-- if you hate a flavor, you may be able to improve it by mixing with storebought too, as your eliquids age. But you can jump in anywhere, every mix you do will be more experience under your belt. Overflavoring can be as bad as underflavoring, FWIW.

Anna

Thank you so much very insightful ill start off by making 10ml baches to be safe.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Milk, cookies and cream MAY benefit from a touch of sweetener. Depending on how sweet the cookies and cream is, I almost bought that flavor but decided against.

Peach and apricot.... For sweetness, I might layer in a bit of marshmallow or meringue, with maybe one drop of sucralose per 30 ml, if needed at all. Could also add a touch of brandy, that tends to go nicely with fruits (if you have that flavor). Could also consider adding a crème note if you wanted. But it may not be necessary, if you want a 'pure" fruit flavor.

Pancakes and mixed berries may work well on its own. The nice thing about sweetener is it doesn't need to steep, so you can add it later, a drop or two, shake well and vape, if it's not sweet enough. Tutti fruiti and Ice, I probably wouldn't add sweetener to that initially although I guess it "might" benefit but you are going to have a less sweet juice (that is still good) with the addition of ice, probably, I might not sweeten that.....

You can mix all without sweetener and add it after steeping if you find it is lacking sweetness. Sucralose is shake and vape.

Anna

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mini funnels are very handy. One of the few pieces of diy mixing gear I’ve bought that I actually use.
Agree except those you linked are called graduated cylinders. True funnels are also extremely handy. Funnels

Funnel__90557.1392005324.jpg

I finally broke down and invested in a pyrex 1 ml syringe graduated into mililiters. The cheap $.99 plastic syringes invariably lose their markings pretty quickly no matter how clean you try to keep them. Not cheap, but so far the investment has been well worthwhile if you mix by volume instead of weight.
TRUTH 04-04-02-01 Borosilicate Glass Reusable Syringe with Metal Luer Lock, 1 mL Capacity, 0.1 mL Graduation
51sZQQvparL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Start small.

Spend your money on ingredients and skip trying to assemble a bunch of gear. I've been mixing most of my own juice for years with two children's liquid medicine dosing cups and one blunt tip 10ml syringe.

Chocolate, caramel, graham cracker, marshmallow and vanilla. Mix any two of the first four at 5% each and add 1% vanilla. It'll be good.

Drop the first two to 3%, add a fruit at 5%. It'll be good too.

Think of the flavors as building blocks and think about a flavor profile you want.

And don't be afraid to fail. :)

MUE3N

Feb 20, 2018
Milk, cookies and cream MAY benefit from a touch of sweetener. Depending on how sweet the cookies and cream is, I almost bought that flavor but decided against.

Peach and apricot.... For sweetness, I might layer in a bit of marshmallow or meringue, with maybe one drop of sucralose per 30 ml, if needed at all. Could also add a touch of brandy, that tends to go nicely with fruits (if you have that flavor). Could also consider adding a crème note if you wanted. But it may not be necessary, if you want a 'pure" fruit flavor.

Pancakes and mixed berries may work well on its own. The nice thing about sweetener is it doesn't need to steep, so you can add it later, a drop or two, shake well and vape, if it's not sweet enough. Tutti fruiti and Ice, I probably wouldn't add sweetener to that initially although I guess it "might" benefit but you are going to have a less sweet juice (that is still good) with the addition of ice, probably, I might not sweeten that.....

You can mix all without sweetener and add it after steeping if you find it is lacking sweetness. Sucralose is shake and vape.

Anna
Wow thank you so much this is really helping me going to cook tomorrow will let you know how it turns out

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. You're hearing a lot of good advice. Mine is start small. Hit on something you want to try and mix up 3 or 4 different recipes of the same stuff, and in tiny quantities. Then vape them and see which comes closest to what you want. When you get something you like, then you can mix up a big batch to vape on while you work out the next one.

MUE3N

Feb 20, 2018
sooooo abit of feedback I mixed 3 batches last night i did a peach and apricot mix 8% apricot 7% peach at 2% nic with a 70vg 30pg it smells really nice but has abit of an after taste not sure if i added too much apricot?

I did a lime cola aswell that tastes good added 10% cola 5% lime....realized i added abit too much cola and maybe i need to add abit of sweetner to that mix

The last one was a pancake at 5% and mixed berries at 10% tastes really good think its the best out of the lot maybe needs to steep for a week but it tasted really good with a snv.

so all in all it wasnt a failure learning as i go along oh and @evan le'garde those funnels i really did need then when adding VG LOL...

thanks again everyone im not going to stop mixing anytime soon love this place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread