New to ECF, been vaping about 5 yrs now, Question included

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyFisherPete

Nov 13, 2015
Pottstown, PA, USA
Hi, ECF - New to this ECF forum, wanted to introduce myself. Name's Pete, I've been vaping for about 5 years now, used to be a chain (tobacco) pipe smoker and (tobacco) cigar smoker, and went to vaping from that - oddly, on the instructions of my doctor. Been vaping around 12mg, though I've been trying to get it down to 6mg lately... still working on that... I have dabbled in epipes, and love them, but I have to be honest and say that when I vape, I find myself reaching most often for my RX300 box mod (I am 6'4" tall and have huge hands, so the fact that the RX300 is like a brick is OK by me... the 4 batteries last almost all day, and the size isn't too big to be a pain in the neck). Attys are a mix for me, but most often I'm using my (admittedly older) Avocado RDTA, a TFV12 Prince with the RBA deck, or a Horizon Falcon (the artisan one that came out a few months ago) with the plug-n-play M3 coils, or my trusty Sense Blazer Pro, also with plug-n-play coils. I prefer the tastes off rebuildables, but prefer RDTAs over RDAs, and that's RDTAs just shy of tanks. Personal preference, not ditching RDAs, it's just that the amount of vaping that I do, I'd be dripping ejuice into the RDA like a faucet left wide open... tried it, and it got annoying to me. Again, just personal preference; the taste from an RDA is much better to me, but I can't justify it for the constant having to drip factor.

Anyhow, I have a question for the group: I love my Avocado RDTA, but it is pretty beat up, and I'm looking for something newer that has a lot of the same style of features. Wicking down into the juice chamber is the biggest draw for me. Huge open deck (velocity style is what it has, but I'd love a T-clamp / goon style for some thick-n-flat / complex coils I build, aliens and fused claptons and the likes). I'm sure I'll get a million different suggestions by asking this, but I'll ask anyway... are there any newer RDTAs (or RTAs) that are similar to the Avocado (which is dated), yet is a little more current, to bring me more up to date yet give me a lot of the same "feel" or same features that the Avocado had? Again, the two biggest things I like about the avocado are that the wick goes down portholes into the liquid tank portion, and I like that the deck is pretty open for building (I have gorilla thumbs for hands...). I'm not that great at my cotton-wicking skills yet, even after 5 or so years, so no super-tricky, technical decks, please. Any suggestions welcome. Also, please keep budget in mind, I'd like the RDTA or RTA to be under 35 bucks or so if possible. I suppose I could do more, but that's my sweet spot.

Thanks to all, and I look forward to hearing from all of you! Hopefully my intro and question are OK to post together in a single post in this intro section; if not, I apologize profusely and will remove or move or whatever is needed.
Vape on,
-FlyFisherPete

FlyFisherPete

Nov 13, 2015
Pottstown, PA, USA
You sound like a prime candidate for a steam crave Aromamizer. There are so many and not my style maybe @TrollDragon can chime in here.

Welcome to ECF.

Thanks for the welcome - I was looking at the asMODus Nefarius Squonk TF-BF RDTA and Vandy Vape Pyro v2. They have the RDTA features with the cotton going down into the tank section. But I'll be sure to check out the Aromamizer as well, thanks for the suggestion!
-FlyFisherPete

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for the welcome - I was looking at the asMODus Nefarius Squonk TF-BF RDTA and Vandy Vape Pyro v2. They have the RDTA features with the cotton going down into the tank section. But I'll be sure to check out the Aromamizer as well, thanks for the suggestion!
-FlyFisherPete
I’ve got an aromamizer plus and I quite like it. It’s quite a large tank but you’ve got a mod big enough to handle it so that shouldn’t be a problem. The 10ml capacity is very nice. It wick a little differently than the avacado but the effect is the same.

FlyFisherPete

Nov 13, 2015
Pottstown, PA, USA
Just picked up a 6mL aromamizer for 4.99 and an asMODus Nefarius Squonk TF-BF RDTA for 19.99. That's it on my spending for a while... but I figure between those two, I'm going to have at least one, hopefully two, that I like. :) vapecrawler coming through for the win on prices. EDIT: both are from US vendors.
-FlyFisherPete

FlyFisherPete

Nov 13, 2015
Pottstown, PA, USA
If that is the original vertical coils work much better. The later versions are much better. Flavor is good but with my OG I had to tip it to release the air bubbles every couple of hits.

Good to know. I saw the price of 5 bucks w/ free shipping, and got trigger happy - pulled the trigger before doing research. It'll work though? Not a throw-away tank, is it? Just the air bubble issue? Not that it won't be annoying, but at least (I hope) it is still usable...

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Good to know. I saw the price of 5 bucks w/ free shipping, and got trigger happy - pulled the trigger before doing research. It'll work though? Not a throw-away tank, is it? Just the air bubble issue? Not that it won't be annoying, but at least (I hope) it is still usable...
Not a waste at all. Flavor and af were solid for me personally, just annoying. I will say I was disappointed with the flavor using a horizontal build, vertical build was a big improvement. Back then I was still only doing single wire builds btw, probably still using 26g kanthal.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Just picked up a 6mL aromamizer for 4.99 and an asMODus Nefarius Squonk TF-BF RDTA for 19.99. That's it on my spending for a while... but I figure between those two, I'm going to have at least one, hopefully two, that I like. :) vapecrawler coming through for the win on prices. EDIT: both are from US vendors.
-FlyFisherPete
The OG Aromamizer were great tanks in their day but they are really dated which is why they are $5 ;). I stopped using mine as you have to remove the tank from the base to to fill it, exactly like the old Aqua V2. All the new Aromamizers (Supreme V2 and Plus) are leaps and bounds ahead of the OG gear.

My Aromamizer V1 with a trinity glass tank, it's a looker but an inconvenience to fill.
HB6g4gUl.jpg

If you want an RDTA, then I would suggest the Limitless Classic or iJoy Combo, both are tried and true RDTAs that are still viable today. There is even a squonkable version of the Combo but I have never tried it.

I also highly recommend the Geek Vape Medusa Reborn, it has a smaller capacity the the other two I mentioned but is fully squonkable if you want.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Hi, ECF - New to this ECF forum, wanted to introduce myself. Name's Pete, I've been vaping for about 5 years now, used to be a chain (tobacco) pipe smoker and (tobacco) cigar smoker, and went to vaping from that - oddly, on the instructions of my doctor. Been vaping around 12mg, though I've been trying to get it down to 6mg lately... still working on that... I have dabbled in epipes, and love them, but I have to be honest and say that when I vape, I find myself reaching most often for my RX300 box mod (I am 6'4" tall and have huge hands, so the fact that the RX300 is like a brick is OK by me... the 4 batteries last almost all day, and the size isn't too big to be a pain in the neck). Attys are a mix for me, but most often I'm using my (admittedly older) Avocado RDTA, a TFV12 Prince with the RBA deck, or a Horizon Falcon (the artisan one that came out a few months ago) with the plug-n-play M3 coils, or my trusty Sense Blazer Pro, also with plug-n-play coils. I prefer the tastes off rebuildables, but prefer RDTAs over RDAs, and that's RDTAs just shy of tanks. Personal preference, not ditching RDAs, it's just that the amount of vaping that I do, I'd be dripping ejuice into the RDA like a faucet left wide open... tried it, and it got annoying to me. Again, just personal preference; the taste from an RDA is much better to me, but I can't justify it for the constant having to drip factor.

Anyhow, I have a question for the group: I love my Avocado RDTA, but it is pretty beat up, and I'm looking for something newer that has a lot of the same style of features. Wicking down into the juice chamber is the biggest draw for me. Huge open deck (velocity style is what it has, but I'd love a T-clamp / goon style for some thick-n-flat / complex coils I build, aliens and fused claptons and the likes). I'm sure I'll get a million different suggestions by asking this, but I'll ask anyway... are there any newer RDTAs (or RTAs) that are similar to the Avocado (which is dated), yet is a little more current, to bring me more up to date yet give me a lot of the same "feel" or same features that the Avocado had? Again, the two biggest things I like about the avocado are that the wick goes down portholes into the liquid tank portion, and I like that the deck is pretty open for building (I have gorilla thumbs for hands...). I'm not that great at my cotton-wicking skills yet, even after 5 or so years, so no super-tricky, technical decks, please. Any suggestions welcome. Also, please keep budget in mind, I'd like the RDTA or RTA to be under 35 bucks or so if possible. I suppose I could do more, but that's my sweet spot.

Thanks to all, and I look forward to hearing from all of you! Hopefully my intro and question are OK to post together in a single post in this intro section; if not, I apologize profusely and will remove or move or whatever is needed.
Vape on,
-FlyFisherPete
Hi Pete, I just started vaping so this may sound dumb....have you tried Rayon wicking? I say this because I've read that Rayon is very good at absorbing the juice faster then cotton and may soak your coil faster.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, ECF - New to this ECF forum, wanted to introduce myself.
Welcome and glad you rejoined.
Again, just personal preference; the taste from an RDA is much better to me, but I can't justify it for the constant having to drip factor.
Deep well RDA's only here at low watts and standard single coil ohms, no real help from me.
I love my Avocado RDTA, but it is pretty beat up, and I'm looking for something newer
Could query in:
Rebuildable Atomizer Systems
Might find more knowledgeable opinions.
Could also check search in upper right hand corner of this page and type "RDTA".
I second Rayon:
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I also use rayon for wicking, it’s cheap and performs very well. Have you looked into a squonker? You’d get the great flavor from an rda without the hassle of dripping. Plus rda’s are just so easy to build and no worries about getting the wicking just right to avoid dry hits or flooding. Many good options for Squonk mods, Eleaf Squeeze 2, Desire Rage are two squonkers I use but the Dovpo topside is another popular one.

• Winner
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

just curious, have you considered squonking? Might solve some problems..

Welcome to ECF..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread