New to EFC...not so new to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_horton88

Feb 9, 2018
Richmond,Va
Hey guys. Looking for a good mod to run a Bonza RDA and Pyramid RDA with Clapton’s. Currently have the revenger by Vaporesso and it refuses to run these coils. Was using what was supposed to be a .35ohm Clapton coil set, which ended up reading .20 when installed in either RDA and put on the revenger. Was running the set between 40-60watts and the mod was getting so hot I was almost afraid to run it anymore. Ramp up time for both sets of coils I tried to put in was 7-8 seconds and the revenger cuts off at 10. I’m currently running the Vaporesso cascade tank at .15 watts with absolutely no problem. Stumped as to why it’s not wanting to run these coils in the rda. Any help would be greatly appreciated or any suggestions on new mods would work too.

Reactions: stols001

emt_horton88

Feb 9, 2018
Richmond,Va
Lordy that's got to be some real chunks of metal you have there, 7-8 seconds... I'd fall asleep waiting for those coils to heat up :D
What are those coils made of, do you have any data about the gauges used?

When I make my own claptons I don't use clapton wire under 36awg any more.

Lol I thought I was gonna fall asleep or burn my hand one lol. I’m not sure about the ones I tried yesterday but even the others I bought are wrapped 32g and kernel of 26g and I’m frying cotton within a day. And I’m not letting it get dry or running it too hot.

• Optimistic

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Yep, you're mainly wasting battery charge there. I'd suggest coils with a thinner wrapping wire and maybe even a fused clapton with higher gauge core wires (e.g. 2*28g + 38g) which have a slightly better surface/mass distribution (if you'd compare that directly to a let's say 26g + 38g clapton).
I've also seen flat/ribbon wire clapton, looks interesting but I didn't try it yet.

emt_horton88

Feb 9, 2018
Richmond,Va
Yep, you're mainly wasting battery charge there. I'd suggest coils with a thinner wrapping wire and maybe even a fused clapton with higher gauge core wires (e.g. 2*28g + 38g) which have a slightly better surface/mass distribution (if you'd compare that directly to a let's say 26g + 38g clapton).
I've also seen flat/ribbon wire clapton, looks interesting but I didn't try it yet.

This is the build. Packaging doesn’t say what it is as far as the gauge and the girl at the shop we went to didn’t seem too saavy when it came to knowing much about coils.

Attachments

• F4AA1F31-CD81-4BF5-B442-8F14B253D473.jpeg
    F4AA1F31-CD81-4BF5-B442-8F14B253D473.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Ugh... :blink: you're not getting anywhere with 50-60W with those coils. Maybe starting at 80W and adjusting upwards as you go will get you to an acceptable experience. You'll be wasting most of that energy though just to heat them up and when they cool that's energy you don't use as well.
What you have there is a high power high mass build, I'd try to avoid those. Usually you can build with different materials and get a vape that's at least as good but using just half the power (or even less).
There's some reasonable coils out there, I think geek vape has some in their collection, but most of them aren't.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
If building your own "exotic" coils isn't your thing - you could try twisted wires. Losely or strongly (not sure those are the proper words) twisted wires provide a good compromise, they hold a good amount of juice and ramp up quickly. Plus they're dead easy to make for anyone.
The drawback is they can be a sannawabish to wrap and install, they're quite stiff and tend to spring back.
But with some skill in carefuling and swearing they'll usually submit to your will. Sooner or later :rolleyes:

Reactions: Eskie

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
That is a ton of metal to heat, the coils are too close to the edge for my comfort at least from what I can tell from the picture.
Gonna take a lot of power to heat those to anything useable, be sure you're using authentic name brand batteries with a sufficient CDR to safely support the power range those will take.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF, glad you are getting this vaping a bit more to your taste.

I still think it's too much metal for the tank. You want to fill it with mostly juice, not mostly metal.

However, I am a minimalist when it comes to builds, I like single, round wire. With that said, I am sure you can land on a happy medium place somewhere....

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Of those coils could ever hear up you could fill a steak with them. Very large, involved exotic coils look incredibly good. They represent a lot of talent when handmade. However, they usually perform mediocre for actual vaping.

As already stated, use lots of power with those. I don't believe you're likely to get a good vape on them with a single battery mech even with a 30A battery for a 0.2 ohm build. That's a multiple battery coil mech or regulated. Still, have safe fun with them as long as you have them.

• Agree

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey guys. Looking for a good mod to run a Bonza RDA and Pyramid RDA with Clapton’s. Currently have the revenger by Vaporesso and it refuses to run these coils. Was using what was supposed to be a .35ohm Clapton coil set, which ended up reading .20 when installed in either RDA and put on the revenger. Was running the set between 40-60watts and the mod was getting so hot I was almost afraid to run it anymore. Ramp up time for both sets of coils I tried to put in was 7-8 seconds and the revenger cuts off at 10. I’m currently running the Vaporesso cascade tank at .15 watts with absolutely no problem. Stumped as to why it’s not wanting to run these coils in the rda. Any help would be greatly appreciated or any suggestions on new mods would work too.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I would look at the 200w and up 3 battery type mods, something like the Sigelei Snow Wolf XFeng 230W TC Vape Mod or the Wotofo Stentorian Basilisk 200W Box Mod (great colors). These will give you good battery life and decent power.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread