New to mechanicals. Have a few quick questons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
I recently bought a k100 used off of someone and I ruined two batteries from over discharging. I then bought a new charger and two new batteries. One battery was an 18650 IMR and the other was a 18350 IMR. I charged the 18650 till the light turned green after I used it the first time. After I recharged it I threw it in my k100 and vaped on it for maybe less than an hour before the vapor fell off and then stopped firing. It won't recharge at all.

I now bought a new charger again(nitecore), so what can you tell me that I might be doing wrong so I don't ruin any batteries in the future?

I was told by my B&M that I could run them down all the way. Did I maybe have a short in the coil?

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
You don't want to take them below 2.5V but he vape quality is so bad long before that so its hard to imagine that you over discharged them. Are these batteries getting hot while you are using them?

Most batteries will die a quick death when used below 3, let alone 2.5. It's best to recharge them before they get down to 3.3ish

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I try to never let the batteries in my K100 go below 3.6 volts. The problem is that below that the voltage drops faster and faster and it's really hard to catch it at say 3.0 volts. Also, I really notice the performance drop off of my AGA-T by then, unless it's a new wick and coil. I've learned the hard way that in that case I have to be extra vigilant.

The folks at the B & M told you wrong. If battery voltage goes below 2.7 volts your charger might have a heard time saving them. If it goes below 2.5 volts, consider it toast no matter what charger you have.

Until you have a good feel for your battery's performance on that mod, check the voltage often in use. I check them off the charger all the time. Should be 4.2 +-0.05 volts. Lower is better. Any higher than 4.25 and I would not vape it until it goes below for safety reasons, which shouldn't take that long. After you get a feel for how long they last and what change you will notice as the batt charge lowers you don't have to do that so often.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm using an 1.6 ohm rsst and they are grey sony batteries I believe. I also own a multi-meter.

Check the battery again. Sony doesn't make a grey Lithium battery. All of them are green. There should be some letters and numbers on it. What are they?

Batteries are the most important piece of gear in your setup. You should at least know what you are using.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread