New to mixing, looking for ADV recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Hi,

After 15+ bottles of off the shelf, I haven't found a liquid that I REALLY like. I've mixed a few bottles of unflavored nic base, and I think I'm ready for a little flavor in my life, haha.

I would really like a liquid that falls on the cherry flavored spectrum... like a cherry tobacco, something cherry vanilla caramel, a Cherry Garcia juice would be fantastic. I've seen some recipes for cherry cheesecake, and that doesn't sound appealing. I've read repeatedly that cherry is a hard flavor to get right, but there must be folks around who have had success.

Any suggestions?

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I don't have any recipes for you yet, but from my single-flavor testing so far, the best dessert cherry flavors I've found are FlavourArt Black Cherry and Inawera Cherries. They're sweeter than most, and don't veer as sharply into cough syrup taste. FA and INW are known for strong flavorings (generally 1-3% recommended), and these are good in that range but seem able to go higher (say 5% or so) without getting out of hand.

If I wanted to make a cherry ice-cream, or sundae (and now I do, thanks for that), those are the ones I'd reach for. I'm pretty sure they'd do well in tobacco blends also.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
I don't have any recipes for you yet, but from my single-flavor testing so far, the best dessert cherry flavors I've found are FlavourArt Black Cherry and Inawera Cherries. They're sweeter than most, and don't veer as sharply into cough syrup taste. FA and INW are known for strong flavorings (generally 1-3% recommended), and these are good in that range but seem able to go higher (say 5% or so) without getting out of hand.

If I wanted to make a cherry ice-cream, or sundae (and now I do, thanks for that), those are the ones I'd reach for. I'm pretty sure they'd do well in tobacco blends also.

I'm looking at those flavors and a couple others on Bull City Flavors... do you have any experience with them, or have a supplier that you are happy with?

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I'm looking at those flavors and a couple others on Bull City Flavors... do you have any experience with them, or have a supplier that you are happy with?
I mainly use BCF also, unless they're not stocking a specific flavoring I want. FYI, Bull City has a standing 6% discount code: VU6.

I've also bought some flavors from ECX:
DIY E-Liquid, Electronic Cigarettes and Wholesale Nicotine & E-Cig Juice | EcigExpress

Lots of people have good things to say about Wizard Labs, too:
http://wizardlabs.us/

Reactions: Enso

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
.. I've read repeatedly that cherry is a hard flavor to get right, but there must be folks around who have had success.

Any suggestions?

To Me, pure Cherry is a Very Hard e-liquid to make. At least with the Cherry Flavorings I have tried. And I have Tried a Lot of them.

Something you might try is to make a Cherry/Strawberry blend. Maybe 2/3 Cherry and 1/3 Strawberry. It Isn't a Pure Cherry Taste. But Very Vapable. And adding Strawberry doesn't seem to make that Cough Syrup taste that you can/will get at Higher Flavoring Percentages.

And I think all/most Fruit Flavors need a Added Sweetener.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
To Me, pure Cherry is a Very Hard e-liquid to make. At least with the Cherry Flavorings I have tried. And I have Tried a Lot of them.

Something you might try is to make a Cherry/Strawberry blend. Maybe 2/3 Cherry and 1/3 Strawberry. It Isn't a Pure Cherry Taste. But Very Vapable. And adding Strawberry doesn't seem to make that Cough Syrup taste that you can/will get at Higher Flavoring Percentages.

And I think all/most Fruit Flavors need a Added Sweetener.
Do you think strawberry ripe might be a acceptable substitute for sweetener?

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Do you think strawberry ripe might be a acceptable substitute for sweetener?

Taste is Very Subjective. And, of course, it depends on what you are looking for.

I wouldn't consider Strawberry Ripe a substitute for a Sweetener. But I'm looking for Sweet Fruit Flavors.

Sometimes it is good to Remember where these Flavorings came from. And that is Food Flavorings. And when you Cook, many times the Recipe calls for Sugar.

If I made a Cheery Cake, or Cheery Candy, or Cherry Ice Crème, it just wouldn't taste very good if I Didn't add some Sugar.

But like I said, Taste is Very Subjective. So the Only way to Know when doing DIY is to Try it.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Taste is Very Subjective. And, of course, it depends on what you are looking for.

I wouldn't consider Strawberry Ripe a substitute for a Sweetener. But I'm looking for Sweet Fruit Flavors.

Sometimes it is good to Remember where these Flavorings came from. And that is Food Flavorings. And when you Cook, many times the Recipe calls for Sugar.

If I made a Cheery Cake, or Cheery Candy, or Cherry Ice Crème, it just wouldn't taste very good if I Didn't add some Sugar.

But like I said, Taste is Very Subjective. So the Only way to Know when doing DIY is to Try it.

Very true. I'm looking to keep sweetness and flavorings to a bare minimum (for now). I just need a little flavor, unflavored base is really quite decent, but it's not particularly exciting. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread