New to modding and I need some help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an altoids mod box in the mall... it seemed to be thrown together and like no care had gone into making it. So i decided to see what I could do with an altoids box. I was able to find just about all the parts i needed to make it from mad vapes. And it was cheep... like 30 bucks for ALL the parts needed. The evil mall guys wanted $250.00 bucks for it and it wasnt even VV. What i have done is used an altoids box, the VV board kit and the LED digital display to tell me what the vaping volatage and the supply voltage is. Right now its working great.

Here is where I need help. I want to incorperate a built in charging system so that I dont have to remove the batteries and charge them in a universal charger. Something like a USB charger would be ideal. But I know that USB only provides 5 volts. and with 2x 18650 batteries in series (on a full charge) i have 7.8 volts on the supply side. Granted the batteries last 2-3 days with heavy vaping at 5.2 volts. I just want to incorperate the charging system. I know that the tek mod has this but... i think they are using a boost board and have the batteries in parralle.

Any Ideas, Thoghts or input you guys may have would be great!

-Draco

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
I'd stick with removing the batteries to charge. Charging batts that are wired in series can be problematic and is not really recommended.

That said, I'm sure it can be done, but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell you how to do it or how to do it safely. After you've gotten your 5 posts, head on over to the Modding forum and ask away, there are a lot of people that may be able to answer your questions :)

To do it in a serial battery installation will not lead to success. The Batterys are not charged and discharged in the same level. They will differ. Therefore you can't do it that way.
If you really want to do it, you have to set up a switchable wiring, that enables you to switch loading from one single battery to the next one - in that time the serial wiring has to be switched off. A quite complicated approach.
The other way is to use a leveling electonic, that does the charge leveling for you. Even more complicated.
Both ways are hard to do even in a big BoxMod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread