New to mods and concerned about batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
Read "Baditudes" battery related blogs. The 18350's will not provide much run time especially if you're wrapping lower ohm coils. They also have a lower amp rating, not making them ideal for sub-ohm vaping IMO. The 18650 if its the 1600mah version should be fine, I believe it has a 20 amp rating. You may wanna grab a few more 18500/18650's. I can usually tell when battery voltage drops by the way it's hitting. That said...I test battery voltage with a Multi Meter to determine the charge status after using one, or charging one. Ideally you'll wanna keep at least one spare with you. Change it out a little sooner than normal if your concerned about over-draining it.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
In the mail I have a Nemesis clone, KFL+ clone, and 2x18350's and 1x 18650 AW IMR'a, all the good stuff. My concern is reading about overdraign the batteries. If usage enough to tell when they are to low, i.e. it's just not vaping well. If I have to break out a MM it will put a serious damper on things.

I've been vaping mechanical mods for a while now. IMO you need to use a DMM regularly until you get to know when the battery is low without it. If you don't do that, you will run the battery down too far eventually and it will probably not take too long before it happens. It's not too bad on the battery if it happens a couple of times and doesn't go too far, but do it a number of times and you'll really reduce the life of the battery. A good charger helps too as not all of them can bring a battery back to life when it's been discharged way too far.

In my experience it doesn't take too long to figure things out. Put in the work at the beginning and it will stand you in good stead for a long time. Don't put that work in and you might lose a couple of batteries before you figure it out.

boomhower1820

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
NC
Read "Baditudes" battery related blogs. The 18350's will not provide much run time especially if you're wrapping lower ohm coils. They also have a lower amp rating, not making them ideal for sub-ohm vaping IMO. The 18650 if its the 1600mah version should be fine, I believe it has a 20 amp rating. You may wanna grab a few more 18500/18650's. I can usually tell when battery voltage drops by the way it's hitting. That said...I test battery voltage with a Multi Meter to determine the charge status after using one, or charging one. Ideally you'll wanna keep at least one spare with you. Change it out a little sooner than normal if your concerned about over-draining it.

I know they won't have a really long life, hoping two will get me through the day. (going for compact size with a KFL+ nano w/ hybrid kit.) Ordered two of them and one 650. I ordered the good ones, AW IMR's. I won't be subΩing, 1.25-1.5 is my goal. I'm certainly hoping I can tell by the vape and not have to tote around a MM all day.

Reading up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread