New to rebuilding: what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I seem to have hit a bad spell in my coil building progress. Annoying since my first two builds turned out perfectly. I'm building on the Aromamizer and despite trying a few different builds I'm finding that the coil continues to burn for a few seconds after I have released the fire button. I guess this is referred to ramp down time right? I have tried the obvious stuff, the strumming method, pulsing and squeezing, making sure the legs are not too long and the wire ids clipped close to the post. The coil itself looks pretty acceptable. I just can't figure what I'm doing wrong. I can't seem to get rid of those awful hot legs. Would that be the issue? The vape also seems a little hotter than I would expect at the wattage I'm running.

This particular build is a single horizontal 24 gauge coil wrapped 8 times ohming out at .77.

I'm sure photos would be helpful but I don't have access to a camera until tomorrow. I'll post some photos then. Until now can anyone offer any advice? I have ripped out so many builds and tried again but I'm getting the same result. Super annoying since my first coils were pretty ace. I as lulled into a false sense of competency because right now by coils are a shocking mess at worst and acceptable looking but simply don't perform correctly at best.

Hhmmm, bad rebuilding week perhaps. Or perhaps I've jumped in without doing my homework.

i'm trying not to get disheartened.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I seem to have hit a bad spell in my coil building progress. Annoying since my first two builds turned out perfectly. I'm building on the Aromamizer and despite trying a few different builds I'm finding that the coil continues to burn for a few seconds after I have released the fire button. I guess this is referred to ramp down time right? I have tried the obvious stuff, the strumming method, pulsing and squeezing, making sure the legs are not too long and the wire ids clipped close to the post. The coil itself looks pretty acceptable. I just can't figure what I'm doing wrong. I can't seem to get rid of those awful hot legs. Would that be the issue? The vape also seems a little hotter than I would expect at the wattage I'm running.

This particular build is a single horizontal 24 gauge coil wrapped 8 times ohming out at .77.

I'm sure photos would be helpful but I don't have access to a camera until tomorrow. I'll post some photos then. Until now can anyone offer any advice? I have ripped out so many builds and tried again but I'm getting the same result. Super annoying since my first coils were pretty ace. I as lulled into a false sense of competency because right now by coils are a shocking mess at worst and acceptable looking but simply don't perform correctly at best.

Hhmmm, bad rebuilding week perhaps. Or perhaps I've jumped in without doing my homework.

i'm trying not to get disheartened.

It's because of the thick wire.

with the thick wire you have a lot of heat capacity compared to surface area.

You get better results with ribbon wire or claptons, where the same amount of mass of wire has more surface area exposed for evaporating liquid.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
It's because of the thick wire.

with the thick wire you have a lot of heat capacity compared to surface area.

You get better results with ribbon wire or claptons, where the same amount of mass of wire has more surface area exposed for evaporating liquid.
Aaaah, so I would be better with a 28 gauge with 5 wraps maybe? In fact, no, that doesn't make sense because my surface area would be even smaller. What would you suggest assuming I'm after anywhere between .6 and .8? I seem to enjoy the single coil for flavour but i'm open to other build suggestions.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Aaaah, so I would be better with a 28 gauge with 5 wraps maybe? In fact, no, that doesn't make sense because my surface area would be even smaller. What would you suggest assuming I'm after anywhere between .6 and .8? I seem to enjoy the single coil for flavour but i'm open to other build suggestions.

If you twist 4 strands of 28 gauge together, it should come close to simulating 24 gauge...
I think.

4 strand
Coil wrapping

3 strand
Coil wrapping

Alawot

Wakonda Warrior
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Lebanon, Ohio
That's odd. I used 24 gauge, 8 wraps around a 2.5 coil jig and the resistance is coming out at .77. In fact steam engine is coming out with the same results too. It is a single coil by the way.
Sorry, was in a rush this morning, forgot to mention that I use a 2mm dia post to coil on.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I also use 24g in my aromamizer and get zero issues..

When you hear sizzling it's normally when you've wicked the inside of the coil a little on the loose side, it can also happen when you wick too tightly inside the coil but the sizzling would then be followed by the wick burning which you would taste.
The coil/s gets starved of juice! it could well be that you havent sat your wick tails as nicely into the juice wells as you did before.

I would just re-wick.

I keep my coils horizontal and use 24g kA1, 2.5mm id, 6 wraps each and the resistance will be about 0.25ohm's.. i can vape this all day happy as larry at 40-50watts.

What is the highest power and lowest resistance your mod will do? maybe we can suggest some builds on this :)

Last edited:

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I also use 24g in my aromamizer and get zero issues..

When you hear sizzling it's normally when you've wicked the inside of the coil a little on the loose side, it can also happen when you wick too tightly inside the coil but the sizzling would then be followed by the wick burning which you would taste.
The coil/s gets starved of juice! it could well be that you havent sat your wick tails as nicely into the juice wells as you did before.

I would just re-wick.

I keep my coils horizontal and use 24g kA1, 2.5mm id, 6 wraps each and the resistance will be about 0.25ohm's.. i can vape this all day happy as larry at 40-50watts.

What is the highest power and lowest resistance your mod will do? maybe we can suggest some builds on this :)
This makes sense. I think I must have wicked a little too heavy because I'm getting some dry hits. I cut the wick down a little but I didn't actually re-wick. It's slightly better in terms of dry hits but no change with the sizzling noise. I am also noticing that the vapour production is pretty poor.

Ok, I have the Smok R80. I'm not sure what the lowest resistance the mod can do is. I did watch an in depth review and it was mentioned then but I have forgotten since. I do know it's quite low. Lower than I would want to build. I'm most comfortable between .4 and .8 and I usually vape at around 25 watts. I prefer to vape around 40 to 45 watts but I blow through way too much juice.

Which my very limited build knowledge and experience, I have found that the build I prefer so far on the Aromamizer is a single coil horizontal, with the coil placed between the posts. That is the build I have found produces most flavour. When I get it right that is.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Okay i rebuilt my aromamizer with a single horizontal coil between the posts at 2.5id, 24g kanth, the legs come off the coil at the bottom, counting the wraps ontop of the coil gives me 8, and i think counting from underneath the coil should give me 10, the resistance is 0.66 and it vapes really dam good anywhere between 24-40w(havent tried vaping at higher watts).
I installed it into the top post holes and pulled the coil down so that the top of it is level with the top of the posts.
When i wicked it i cut the wick tails even with the outside of the base of the rta, and make sure you install the wick tails into the base when dry, if you wet them and then push them down in you will block the juice holes.
sorry i got back to you late! hectic weekend :)

Edit: just for your info, the SMOKR80 will do 1-80w and 0.06-2.0ohm/0.1-3.0ohm.

i also did a single horizontal 24g kanth 7wrap at 3mm id in my griffin and that is also a great vape at 40w.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread