New to RTA’s needs advice please ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MshariSH

Nov 27, 2019
Saudi Arabia
Hello Everyone,

I quit smoking for about two months now and i’ve been using pod systems “ Veiik - Airo & Renova - Zero “ they are not bad but not that satisfying for me and also i’m having a hard time ordering vape products because of legislations in my country , 50% of the time orders get confiscated , So i thought about rta’s “ Building coils , Wicking and depending on my self not needing supplies for a long time “ + A better nicotine delivery and a better flavor.

Long story short, I read some threads and articles here in this website & saw some youtube videos and i think i have a basic knowledge to start with rta’s , But i have some questions to put a base i can start with properly :

1- Is there a range for watts and resistance to use with MTL RTA’s “ what is The highest and the lowest i can vape MTL “ ?

2- For example: if i build a coil and it came out with a 0,9 or 1 ohm’s how can i know the proper watts to use ?

3- Dose MTL RTA’s only work with 50/50 freebies liquid or it’s okay to use 70/30 or salt nic ?

I know most of my questions can be answered if i tried a couple of times, But I appreciate any share of experience or help i can get.

Sorry for the long question and excuse my english if it’s not that good.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
There are hundreds of different RTAs out there. Some designed with tight draw for MTL and some designed for DTL....So start there. Most MTL tanks are single coil and most DTL tanks are dual coil.

In general higher ohm coils are used for MTL and Lower ohm coils for DTL....

Most people use a coil anywhere in the range of 1.8 ohm to 0.6 ohm for MTL depending on what they like.

You need to build your own coils for RTAs or buy precoiled ones to install in it.

Using wire to wrap your own...Take a look at steamengine for ideals of different wires and ohm ranges. Will also give a probable wattage range for the coil. But generally, just start with a low wattage and move up in wattage until you like what you are getting.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The PG/VG ratio depends on preference and a little on the tank used. Higher VG will produce more vapor than high PG will.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hello Everyone,

I quit smoking for about two months now and i’ve been using pod systems “ Veiik - Airo & Renova - Zero “ they are not bad but not that satisfying for me and also i’m having a hard time ordering vape products because of legislations in my country , 50% of the time orders get confiscated , So i thought about RTA’s “ Building coils , Wicking and depending on my self not needing supplies for a long time “ + A better nicotine delivery and a better flavor.

Long story short, I read some threads and articles here in this website & saw some youtube videos and i think i have a basic knowledge to start with RTA’s , But i have some questions to put a base i can start with properly :

1- Is there a range for watts and resistance to use with MTL RTA’s “ what is The highest and the lowest i can vape MTL “ ?

2- For example: if i build a coil and it came out with a 0,9 or 1 ohm’s how can i know the proper watts to use ?

3- Dose MTL RTA’s only work with 50/50 freebies liquid or it’s okay to use 70/30 or salt nic ?

I know most of my questions can be answered if i tried a couple of times, But I appreciate any share of experience or help i can get.

I have MTL RTA's at 0.45 ohm's that I vape from 12-28w and also in TC. Simple kanthal to claptons.

You can vape 80/20 in a MTL RTA but that also depends on the specific RTA. I run 80/20, 70/30 and 50/50 in a few different RTA's (Kayfun's, Tripod's, Dvarw's, Doggy's, Hussar Project X, MTL X etc.). So yes, you can vape your choice of juice.

But this also depends on the RTA, there are several, and the size of the juice holes feeding your wick and how you setup your wick (trim, tail length, volume etc.). Also rayon versus cotton. Rayon has excellent capillary action. Some MTL RTA's with small juice holes may have issues with running higher VG juice. It really depends on the specific RTA.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hello Everyone,

I quit smoking for about two months now and i’ve been using pod systems “ Veiik - Airo & Renova - Zero “ they are not bad but not that satisfying for me and also i’m having a hard time ordering vape products because of legislations in my country , 50% of the time orders get confiscated , So i thought about RTA’s “ Building coils , Wicking and depending on my self not needing supplies for a long time “ + A better nicotine delivery and a better flavor.

Long story short, I read some threads and articles here in this website & saw some youtube videos and i think i have a basic knowledge to start with RTA’s , But i have some questions to put a base i can start with properly :

For MTL vaping start with a coil around .5 to 1 ohm and work from there. Try 10 watts at first and play with the wattage until you find a good vape. Depending on the air flow of your atomizer you may be able to vape a .5 ohm coil at 30 watts. For a true MTL atty 10 watts is a good starting point.

If we knew more about your hardware we could give you more information.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hello Everyone,

I'm another MTL RTA vaper.

I vape anything from a 0.25ohm ss316l flat wire build in TC through to a 0.8ohm ni80 28ga build. And my wattage ranges from 14 watts through to 30 watts

When you want to figure out how many watts to run your coil at - the best thing is to start low and work your way up to find the right watts for you. - I start by priming a coil at 10 watts (regardless of its ohms/resistance). Then I bump it up a few watts at a time, til it gives me the flavour I'm after.

The fun of RTA building is it is all about finding and figuring out what works best for YOU

SleeZy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2014
    Sweden
    Just wanted to throw in a quick tip, for juices maybe try yaeliq. They ship from israel so my thought is that maybe it'll get confiscated less.

Used to be my go to brand for quite some time, due their competetive prices atleast back then.
    These days it's like 99% chance of getting stuck in the custom for us swedes.

But i figure since you're way closer it might work out better. I'm not aware of how SA regulations work though.

As for making your own coils it depends on what you're using. Myself for example using the older variants of kayfun i use 0.8ohm to 1.5 ohm at 10-15 watts if regulated. But i'm mostly a mech user so i tailor the coil for what i want, so it's usualy around 0.8-1 ohm.
    For regulated devices you don't have the same things to take in considerations vs mech mods.

But ye i've been stuck in time sort of when it comes to coil making so i might not be the best person to give advice if you're using newer devices and or tanks.

Mostly wanted to tip about yealiq if you didn't know about them.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I admire you for wanting to take on building your own RTAs but it is a steep learning curve and maybe too soon for you to jump in. If you do, might want to get pre-wound coils at first (unfortunately, most are fancy "could chaser" coils that you don't need) I can recommend some simple claptons that are good for MTL if you go for it. I have no idea about ordering from your location... others might help with that. 50/50 juice is too thin... 70VG/30PG is a better choice. Freebase or salts it doesn't matter (that's marketing BS) The more airflow you like, the less strong of nicotine you need. For now, stock up on coils for what you have, then you can take your time doing RTAs.

MshariSH

Nov 27, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    There are hundreds of different RTAs out there. Some designed with tight draw for MTL and some designed for DTL....So start there. Most MTL tanks are single coil and most DTL tanks are dual coil.

In general higher ohm coils are used for MTL and Lower ohm coils for DTL....

Most people use a coil anywhere in the range of 1.8 ohm to 0.6 ohm for MTL depending on what they like.

You need to build your own coils for RTAs or buy precoiled ones to install in it.

Using wire to wrap your own...Take a look at steamengine for ideals of different wires and ohm ranges. Will also give a probable wattage range for the coil. But generally, just start with a low wattage and move up in wattage until you like what you are getting.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The PG/VG ratio depends on preference and a little on the tank used. Higher VG will produce more vapor than high PG will.

thank you my friend for your reply, appreciate the tips specially the steamengine website very helpful

I have MTL RTA's at 0.45 ohm's that I vape from 12-28w and also in TC. Simple kanthal to claptons.

You can vape 80/20 in a MTL RTA but that also depends on the specific RTA. I run 80/20, 70/30 and 50/50 in a few different RTA's (Kayfun's, Tripod's, Dvarw's, Doggy's, Hussar Project X, MTL X etc.). So yes, you can vape your choice of juice.

But this also depends on the RTA, there are several, and the size of the juice holes feeding your wick and how you setup your wick (trim, tail length, volume etc.). Also rayon versus cotton. Rayon has excellent capillary action. Some MTL RTA's with small juice holes may have issues with running higher VG juice. It really depends on the specific RTA.

very helpful thank you my friend, I was looking for that kind of experience appreciate the reply

For MTL vaping start with a coil around .5 to 1 ohm and work from there. Try 10 watts at first and play with the wattage until you find a good vape. Depending on the air flow of your atomizer you may be able to vape a .5 ohm coil at 30 watts. For a true MTL atty 10 watts is a good starting point.

If we knew more about your hardware we could give you more information.

thank you my friend, I don’t have a hardware i didn’t make up my mind yet but i’m thinking about " Vapefly Galaxies or Berserker mini “ i’m not sure but much appreciate your reply

I'm another MTL RTA vaper.

I vape anything from a 0.25ohm ss316l flat wire build in TC through to a 0.8ohm ni80 28ga build. And my wattage ranges from 14 watts through to 30 watts

When you want to figure out how many watts to run your coil at - the best thing is to start low and work your way up to find the right watts for you. - I start by priming a coil at 10 watts (regardless of its ohms/resistance). Then I bump it up a few watts at a time, til it gives me the flavour I'm after.

The fun of RTA building is it is all about finding and figuring out what works best for YOU

thank you my friend, figuring out what’s best for me is a valuable lesson and that’s what my questions is all about , must appreciated

Just wanted to throw in a quick tip, for juices maybe try yaeliq. They ship from israel so my thought is that maybe it'll get confiscated less.

Used to be my go to brand for quite some time, due their competetive prices atleast back then.
    These days it's like 99% chance of getting stuck in the custom for us swedes.

But i figure since you're way closer it might work out better. I'm not aware of how SA regulations work though.

As for making your own coils it depends on what you're using. Myself for example using the older variants of kayfun i use 0.8ohm to 1.5 ohm at 10-15 watts if regulated. But i'm mostly a mech user so i tailor the coil for what i want, so it's usualy around 0.8-1 ohm.
    For regulated devices you don't have the same things to take in considerations vs mech mods.

But ye i've been stuck in time sort of when it comes to coil making so i might not be the best person to give advice if you're using newer devices and or tanks.

Mostly wanted to tip about yealiq if you didn't know about them.

they confiscate orders from China you want them to allow orders from Israel lol , but much appreciate my friend i’ll check them out, thank you

I admire you for wanting to take on building your own RTAs but it is a steep learning curve and maybe too soon for you to jump in. If you do, might want to get pre-wound coils at first (unfortunately, most are fancy "could chaser" coils that you don't need) I can recommend some simple claptons that are good for MTL if you go for it. I have no idea about ordering from your location... others might help with that. 50/50 juice is too thin... 70VG/30PG is a better choice. Freebase or salts it doesn't matter (that's marketing BS) The more airflow you like, the less strong of nicotine you need. For now, stock up on coils for what you have, then you can take your time doing RTAs.

thank you my friend, I thought about buying prebuilt coils but after watching a lot of videos i kinda saw that installing and wicking are the hardest part not wrapping the coil but you’re right i’ll consider starting with prebuilt, most appreciate my friend

btw , anyone knows how to mention a person in a comment? my replies are getting ridiculous with me quoting every single reply :)

Anise

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Thank you for the tip @Anise ,all this time I was putting the @ symbol and their name with no space but also clicking the "Link" button:lol:
    Don't put a comma or period or anything after their name or it doesn't work.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I was searching for MTL RTAs and came up with this list:
    GEEK VAPE AMMIT 24MM MTL RTA

Coppervape Hussar Project X Styled RTA

INNOKIN ARES 24MM MTL RTA

Fumytech Rose MTL RTA

CTHULHU MOD HASTUR MTL RTA MINI

EHPRO True MTL RTA

Berserker V1.5 Styled MTL RTA

COILART SALT 18MM RTA

ULTON Tripod Style 316SS 22mm RTA

SILVERPLAY 24MM MULTI AIRFLOW RTA

SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA

I ended up getting the Silverplay... (actually got 2) They are a bit tricky to work with but very versatile airflow options.
    Right now I'm interested in the Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDTA (rebuildable dripping tank Atomizer) Those should be easy to build.
    My second choice was the Ehpro True. You need to determine how much airflow you want. I would have got the Berserker but way to tight airflow for me (I like very loose MTL)

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    Before you start building any coils, do you have a way to check resistance? Either with a good dependable mod or meter designed to measure that low. The ability to check resistance is pretty critical even with a protected mod. And if you haven't already done so, check mooch's blog for battery safety and information. Good batteries are critical no mater what you are using.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2014
    Sweden
    they confiscate orders from China you want them to allow orders from Israel lol , but much appreciate my friend i’ll check them out, thank you

Yea like i said, i don't know how harsh the rules are but i figured due being nearby it'll be easier to slip thru with your order.

But yea, check them out. If it works out, they're a great source.
    Sweden also confiscate packages from china, but not because it's illegal, only because it's been ordered from china. I know it's wierd like that. So we've to pay an extra fine about 10-20$ if we want our order from china.

Yaeliq however get's confiscated due they sell 100ml bottles while max allowed is 10 in sweden. This wasn't always the case though. So it was fun while it lasted. Ordering 100ml for 9$ was sure a nice deal while it lasted.

Now it cost me 5-7$ to even buy 10ml unflavored nic base. But oh well...

greek mule

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece

Mtl rta's have small deck so a thick wire low ohm high mass coil won't fit in it.

INFO:
    Lower Ohm Coils Will:

Have thicker wire (more mass) heats slower than thinner wire
    Produce More Vapor
    Drain The Battery Faster
    Use E-Juice Faster
    Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape

Higher Ohm Coils Will:

Have thinner wire (less mass) heats faster than thicker wire
    Produce “Less” Vapor
    Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
    Use Less E-Juice
    Prolong Battery Life

The lower the gauge (i.e. 20 awg is lower than 22 awg) that means the 20 awg wire has bigger diameter and greater mass than 22 awg for a given length.Greater mass wire for the same length results in lower resistance.

Pull up Steam Engine and play with the coil wrapping calculator.Set wire gauge/alloy,inner diameter(Leg length live as it is),target resistance(this is the resistance your coil ohms out) and set a heat flux between 150-350 mW/mm²(the higher the value the hotter the vape) .You'll get the recommended wattage.

Usually they can handle up to 80% VG.You can use free base or salt Nicotine.
    The difference is you can vape really high nic strength nic salt e-liquids with lack of throat harshness.You need a high ohm(lower mass) coil if you are going to use a 50 mg/ml nic salt though.

MshariSH

Nov 27, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    Thanks @vaper1960 appreciate the reply , To me i’m much of a tight airflow vapor but i’m definitely checking out your list

Thanks @Jwaterski appreciate the reply , Absolutely i agree with you and i’m gonna get a relabel mod for sure , i’ll check the blog thanks for the tip

@SleeZy , yah we have similar problems but here in my country it’s even worse lol , If you have a trading record you can import vapeing products in large quantities but individuals couldn’t , Also eliquid are banned in any ml capacity :lol:

Thanks @greek mule appreciate the reply , Valuable information thank you very much

MartinD

ECF Veteran
    Sep 18, 2017
    i’m thinking about " Vapefly Galaxies or Berserker mini “ i’m not sure
    I'm using both of them daily and they are both proper mtl rta-s.Simple Kanthal A1 28 GA wire,2mm ID coil on Bers mini and 2,5mm od Galaxies.11,5W - 12W.Berserker Mini v1 is the best mtl rta I have tried.Only con is bottom fill(not for me but there are vapers who don't like that).Berserker v1 24mm is also great rta...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread