New to the 901 - Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elokin6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
Miami
I've been using my 510 for several months, and I've gotten past the need for a monstrous throat hit. I've been looking for better flavor, so I purchased a 901 a few weeks ago. I dig the flavor, but I'm not happy with my 901 experience so far. I'm seriously considering selling my stuff, but I'm hoping that you guys can talk me down. Here are my concerns:

With an auto battery, I have to draw SO FREAKING HARD to keep the battery going. Way harder than I do with my 510 auto battery. Is this normal?

With the manual 901 battery, I have to push SO FREAKING HARD on the button to get the damn thing to fire. Once again, is that normal?

With either battery, I don't get jack squat in the way of vapor.

The throat hit is nonexistent. I'm not just saying that it's less than the 510 (duh, right?), I'm saying that it does not exist. At all.

The draw with my 901 is much harder than with my 510. Is this normal?

My manual batteries have a cut off that seems reasonable, but I can't get any decent amount of vapor or any throat hit at all before it starts flashing at me. Is there any way around that?

I've tried dripping and using a cart, but both seem to be about the same. I know that there is a learning curve when it comes to the e-cigs, but I'm pretty much ready to give up on this thing. I like the flavor, but that's it so far. Please tell me that I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Kayla

JebGipson

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Clark County, Washington, USA
I love my 901, but I have rather large lungs so I can relate to the whole cut off issue, I typically "double clutch" on it as in I take a 5 second draw give it a sec then draw again till it cuts off before I exhale. (careful on triple clutching though it makes a burnt flavor for me at least) And depending on the juice I get a better throat hit and "ploom" from my 901 than the 510.

Now on the draw and manual issue, I have wanted to a set of manual batt's for my 901 but instead I think I may just make a nicostick... and the auto draw... well when I do cart refill with a ptb I can draw off it relatively easily but if I drip? thicker ploom better throat hit but sometime I gotta suck that thing like those bangkok ladie's if you know what I mean...

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
The draw shouldnt be too much harder but I did get a bum high bridge 901 atty where the metal ring in the bottom sealed it off too much and made for one heck of a hard drw...

also, the 510 is def a lighter draw, but not by much. IMO the 510 gives the most vapor with a reg battery (non modded)

However, if the button is that hard to push, check to see if u have any liquid in the connecter on the battery. Thats can make it not work well, if at all and should be q-tipped when liwuid gets in theere. Also, if there is liquid in the one with the "hard button", there may be some juice that escapes into the battery compartment and is shorting it out. I would suggest replacing that battery on ur next order.

for myself, I managed to fix all those type problems by getting a mod, I know they arent for everyone but I DO think once one has tried them, they never go back. Thats the case for me at least and most others thats have tried mods. There are all different size mods and you dont have to get big n clunky. There are mods just slightly larger than reg batts and being that most are well under $100 now, and the refill batts last 1,000 charges and cost $2, in the long run they do save a TON of cash.

Im just saying its well worth looking into. I hope this helps :)

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
First off Kayla,
What strength of nic are you using, do you use VG or PG juice,

You don't want major throat hit but you want more vap....
With the manual battery.. are you allow it to warm a little before you drag?
Are you wetting the atomizer as well as the cart?.. sometimes a dry atomizer doesn't work as well.. on 901.

also, take the cart out.. activate the battery and make sure you have a decent amount of glow coming off the element recessed in the bottom.

Depending on where you get your juice... plus VG/or Pg, reduced PG or 50/50 VG/PG.. each vendors juice will produce different affects on different units. To tell.. go to walmart in the bandaid section and get you a bottle of Vegtable glycerin 4.50... or order a bottle of aqueous glycerin from Tw.. 7.00.
glycerin helps in vap production and adds a little sweet side to your fruit flavors.

Hope ths helps..
Tom

Elokin6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
Miami
The juice I'm using is aprox 25% vg, 25% vg, 50% capella's vanilla custard (I'm an addict). It's at about 11 mg. The atty is good and wet, so that's not an issue.

I don't get much glow off the atty if I hang on the battery, but I don't get much off my 510 either. The only time I've ever really seen the attys glow is if I let them run pretty darn dry.

The biggest thing that is annoying me at the moment is the manual battery. The button is really finicky. I have to hit it in a specific spot or it won't fire. I don't think the external button is aligned correctly with the internal one. Is there a work around for this?

Crashtestjeep: "double clutching" it helps a lot with the vapor, but the throat hit is still weak at best. Also, are you speaking of the connection between the battery and the atty or the button on the atty itself? (I know the buttons can pop off easily)

Thanks again,
Kayla

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I think you may have a lead problem .. the calapsible circuit for the protection on your battery may even have a grounding problem... my experience is that one or two drops on the atty... about three or four in the cart.. you should still produce a lite amber glow at the elemnt .. and get a little excess heat off the side of the batt.. after 4 to 7 seconds.
Crash can also be spot on with a short in the battery.. liquid in the batt assembly or behind the switch... I am not sure about the switch alignment.. if your are still finding a sweet spot.. it should not hinder the power flow, as long as the switch does initiate current bypass from the switch.

on my 901... which I don't use since is switched to the SD... but i do still use the 901 atomizers that fit it from my upgrades... It did seem that I hat to drag a little more so than the 510 ... and the switchblade was awesome for me.. light drag.. perfect kick. But anyway, I never had this problem with my man. batteries on the 901... I did several times with 801 a few times and it was always a fragmented lead or ground.. at fault protection.

Wish I had a better idea for you.. I would call the vendor and see if he has more reports that are current enough to determine if this is manufacturer batch error.. or if you might just have a unit that just feel through the cracks. I bet you they may end up telling you that there have been a few reported cases .. send it in and they will take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread