The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to the forum and new to vaping. Need recommendations.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Oakleyguy89, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    Hi there my name's Jj! I just turned 30 and I live in Idaho! I am thinking of getting into vaping as my friends are doing it and it will give me an excuse to go for a smoke break at work lol. That's right they wont give anyone else a 10min break every 4 hrs unless you smoke or vape. I also have been 2 weeks sober from drinking beer so I am wondering if it will help me alleviate the occasional craving for it.

Anyways I want to stick to 0 and 3mg of nicotine. I like the occasional 3mg of nicotine to get a little head rush every now and again. I currently don't own any mods or anything of the sort but I have been trying to do a lot of research and I have come up with a few mods that might suit me and I am hoping for some insight/experience from other users on here.

There are 3 vape mods that I am interested in:

First one I am thinking of getting the Geek Vape Aegis Legend w/alpha tank kit. I would've went with just the mod and then get a horizon tech falcon king but the kit with the tank is only a couple more $.

Second one i'm pretty interested in is a DOVPO Topside dual squonker. I know you guys are probably thinking I am crazy for considering a squonker but from what I have gathered you can use any atomizers with a squonk as long as you are careful not to pump juice to ones that arent used for squonking? If I was to get the topside dual I would probably pick up a vandy vape maze subo hm bf rda tank/coil and maybe would eventually like to get a profile mesh rda and do my own coils. I just figured maybe going this route might be more future proof and save me from having to have multiple mods? I am unsure of this route.

Third one is the Geek Vape Aegis Solo. I like this little guy and from the youtube videos i've seen its a pretty nice mod. My only issue is I am unsure of how long the battery will last and if I should just stick with the larger Aegis Legend as I'll probably be vaping a bit.

Anyways I hope to learn more and hopefully I can come to a conclusion of what I want to be my first vape! Any feedback is appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    Oh an another question: Is an RDA really that much better than say a sub-ohm when it comes to flavor or is it just like a placebo?

3. Vchick

Vchick Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Are you a smoker?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    Very rarely do I smoke but I do occasionally vape when I have a friend that vapes. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day but I quit cold turkey. Like I said, i want to do 0 nicotine with the occasional 3mg nicotine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Forsyth

Daniel Forsyth Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome to ECF Jj:thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    You may not get a lot of love on this forum.
    Most of the people here are long time smokers who could not quit smoking, and switched to vaping mostly to attempt to avoid imminent death. As such your decision to vape simply to get additional breaks at work can be viewed as a bit...well...:censored: crazy. Like “stop welding on that gas tank now!” Level stuff.

I feel morally compelled to strongly suggest staying at zero. Nicotine is addictive and a major anti-anxiety drug. You don’t need to wind up dependent again. I myself did quit cold turkey and deliberately took up vaping, but mostly because, according to the research I did, the anti-anxiety drugs of ten years ago were IMHO even more dangerous than vaping while being nearly as addictive to boot.

Regarding your actual issue: if all you’re doing is vaping to get additional breaks an ageis solo should serve you fine. Perhaps carry an additional charged battery (in a case! NOT loose in your pocket) at first to see if you even need it. You can use the solo to charge one battery, remove it, put it in the case, then charge another. I suspect you won’t run out of battery very often.

RDAs used to be full on superior to cartridge tanks, but with the advent of mesh cartridges this advantage has reduced to nearly nothing. The main advantage of an RDA over a mesh cartridge system today is cost. Basically it’s several dollars for a cartridge, or several cents for wick/wire.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    Well it's not just for breaks only but it does play a part in it especially for how stressed I get at my place of employment, but I do plan on doing it at home as well. Ever since I have quit smoking it always is in the back of my mind that I want to get back into it, even more now since I don't have alcohol to turn to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Welcome. I own a topside, and was considering an aegis before getting what I did. If the aegis is something you're looking at for it's durability, I have read the screen isn't as durable as could be. From what I've read, the vandyvape jackaroo is superior. As for the topside, I love mine, but I am feeding a nicotine and long time hand to mouth smoking addiction, so 10ml and 3000mah on moderately high wattage suits me well, for a few hours. A decent sized tank and a 2x700 battery in the jackaroo, or as pointed out, even a 18650 the aegis solo can hold would be plenty for days of the wvery once in a while toot. The benefit you'd see from an RDA is being able to drop a couple drops of nic on the coil when you want your buzz, and 0nic the rest.

10. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Just understand, if you put nicotine in the juice, you are effectively deciding to start smoking again, just in a much less dangerous, expensive, and messy way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    Yeah I understand, whenever i'm with my friends I vape off theirs and they usually have 3mg nicotine. Ill probably just run 2 tanks one with 0mg and one with 3mg and then just use the 3mg on occasion when I need to wind down from stress and whatnot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oakleyguy89

Oakleyguy89 Full Member

May 14, 2019
    I like the looks of the Jackaroo but it looks like it doesn't have a usb port so I would assume I would need a standalone charger?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Correct. It does have a port (under a screw down plate), but it can’t be used to charge the battery and is only used for software updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Yes, but it's recommended to use one even if the mod can charge. Most likely dangerous conditions wouldn't occure unless chainvaping while charging a substandard battery, but there is always a risk. Single cell chargers are about 10$. More than likely, if it's only every once in a while, and then only a few puffs, the devices you're looking at are Overkill. What kind of vaping style are you looking for? What do your friends have? Do you need something flashy right off the design board, or will last year's model do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jim_87

jim_87 Resident Forum Lurker ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    :facepalm:

Pardon my bluntness, but you should find a different hobby.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Diver9543

Diver9543 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    I have to agree with bombastinator, stick with 0 nicotine. As a friend of Bill W. I commend your decision to not drink anymore and I'm familiar with an addictive mentality. RIght now is not a good time to add another addictive substance in your body. If you have any questions just drop me a Private Message and I help as I can.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    See what I said about not a lot of love? He has a point. It’s not a super great life decision. I only consider vaping a good idea if the other option is smoking. It IS much better than smoking, but not smoking at all is better still.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy vaper dedicato Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  19. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Hopefully you get what your looking for and by keeping the nic down it might make it easier if you decide to stop vaping, but your still inhaling chemicals. I feel alot of folks in your particular situation feel that if their vaping 0 or very low nic, then it's not bad for them . vaping is way way safer then smoking, but no matter the nic, you are still inhaling food flavorings, vg, pg, etc and that in itself has to have some negative effects on the lungs, especially vaping sub ohm dtl because most doing that vape a lot of juice per day...personally if you quit smoking already, why would you do this? Just because your friends are? Anyways welcome and good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  20. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Since you will be carrying your setup with you out of the house, I would go with the Aegis Solo (single battery) over the Aegis Legend (dual battery). The Legend to me was too bulky and heavy, not comfortable in the hand, and was not pocket-friendly. You could always carry spare charged batteries with you if a single battery won't last you the day. The Solo is more compact and lighter, comfortable in the hand, and pocket-friendly.

I've had both, and recommend the Solo.

[​IMG] Legend

[​IMG]
    Solo

I'm also a big fan of the Aegis Mini, a bit smaller, shorter, and lighter than the Solo. It doesn't sound like you'll be vaping all that often, so the Mini might be even more up to your liking. The internal battery charges fast (30 minutes or so) so carry the micoUSB charging cord with you should you need a quick charge while you are at work.

[​IMG] Mini

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.