New to the wonderful world of RDAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
I recently got my first rda, the Drop rda by digiflavor and the taste was amazing when I first got it a couple days ago but today it just taste burnt and terrible! I thought my build was pretty good for a newbie so idk what I did wrong. Any help or feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 15271859890622048294181.jpg
    15271859890622048294181.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If that's all you are using, and you are vaping that high a wattage, and you are using cotton?

Time to rewick. You didn't do anything "wrong" and honestly I'm kind of surprised the wick lasted as long as it did.

Rayon is a more durable wick, it may last longer at those higher wattages if you must vape it that way (which is totally up to you). But, be prepared to be rewicking frequently (the coils should be fine to dry burn and reuse. Etc.

There's a long thread on rayon if it piques your interest at all.

Good luck,

Anna

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
If that's all you are using, and you are vaping that high a wattage, and you are using cotton?

Time to rewick. You didn't do anything "wrong" and honestly I'm kind of surprised the wick lasted as long as it did.

Rayon is a more durable wick, it may last longer at those higher wattages if you must vape it that way (which is totally up to you). But, be prepared to be rewicking frequently (the coils should be fine to dry burn and reuse. Etc.

There's a long thread on rayon if it piques your interest at all.

Good luck,

Anna
Ok I'll go ahead and rewick it and turn it down for the moment and see if that helps, and I'll definitely look into Rayon and see if would be a better option. Thank you!

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Power level has nothing to do with it. Either everything is in proportion to work correctly, or it is not. Rayon might last longer, if true that will be true for most or all correct setups. It might handle slightly more power, but if so then the same setting is simply wrong for cotton.

If you push your vape to a slight burning on every drag, it will get worse and worse. If you then turn it down or whatever it might recover. If you burnt it only a little, on isolated incidents, it probably will. By "it" I mean you burn the wick but also juice. With a RDA there's also the issue of dripping. One good mistake, forget to drip, is so nasty and if you forget twice you can even set the wick on fire. I strongly recommend using Temperature Control (SS316 wire and correct settings).

The power and setup must work together with technique. To vape at those power levels requires pulling in a lot of air. Without TC especially you need to be aware of what the vape is doing until you learn what works.

Like was said, clean and rewick and try again, less power or more careful about dripping. Or change coils or wicking techniques if that seems it might work better for you. It's cheap!

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Essex, UK
    Ok I'll go ahead and rewick it and turn it down for the moment and see if that helps, and I'll definitely look into Rayon and see if would be a better option. Thank you!

Just for a quick comparison I’ve got fused Clapton’s in my Drop @ 0.15 and my wattage is 72.5 watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2018
    Land of Smiles
    I use a Drop with heavy sweet Malaysian juices, find I have to rewick it every day, sometimes twice! Love the airflow and the flavour from it but I find my juices are not the easiest in any RDA/RTA and they seem to make a brilliant job of clogging the longs wicks on the Drop even faster :(

I like cool vapes and that seems to worsen the problem as I think the coils don't generate enough heat to burn off the sweetener so I have to break out the tin foil, line my throat, and crank it right up to give it a blast. It helps but not much. That's just my juices though I think coupled with my preferred type of vape. One thing I did find with the dozens of variations I tried with the Drop is that it works better with the tails well thinned out. I also cut my wicks so they just touch the deck, not splayed out underneath like some folks do. Again, I guess it depends how clean your juices are with regard to sweetener.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread