New to unregulated devices, quick questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
Hello,

So I've been using regulated mods for a very long time, but I really love the enjoyment and no ramp-up time and pure power you get from unregulated devices with just direct circuit. My friend let me give it a go, and I love it.

However, I am looking for my first unregulated mod, and I am getting a dual 18650 unregulated device that's custom and looks very nice. However, I understand Ohms law, but I'm not sure how the dual 18650 set up works.

Let me explain...

So if I have a dual coil set up for 0.21 and the battery set up I have is the Sony VTC4 18650 2100mAh 30A Battery... I type into the steam-engine calculator to get a better and accurate number.... If I have the resistance of 0.21 (the dual coil build) and ONE of the battery is rated a nominal 3.6V... the calculator reads me 17.28 AMPS (and the VTC4 is rated a 30A continuous...) and the power is 62W which is what it takes to fire the coils up properly which means I'm safe because it doesn't go over the battery limit what so ever.

My QUESTION is if I'm running TWO of these batteries, isn't that overpowering the coils? I'm curious because one of these batteries can easily fire my coil set up, and still not use the full potential of one battery, however, if I use 2 batteries, isn't that just to much power?

Hopefully, somebody smart about this stuff can answer my question. I'm pretty familiar with Ohms Law and battery safety, but I just need a better understanding of how it utilizes the power into the coils if that makes sense, or does it? I tend to over complicate things, but any feedback I get will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time whoever read this props to you for sticking in there :banana:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Firstly the Sony VTC is a 23 amp battery.
Don't use the 3.7 nominal value, instead use the maximum 4.2 volts charged voltage for your calculations.

Your choice of coil/s resistance depends on whether your dual battery device is in series or in parallel.

Series - Batteries are configured ‘end to end’ electrically. This doubles the available voltage, mAh and amp capacity remain the same. So in your case this gives you a total of 8.4 volts and 23 amps to work with

0.21 ohms @ 8.4 volts = 40 amps and 336 watts

Parallel – Batteries in a parallel configuration will have the combined amp limits and mAh capacity of both batteries, but the voltage remains the same. In your case this means 4.2 volts and 46 amps in total

0.21 ohms @ 4.2 volts = 20 amps and 84 watts

So as you can see if it is a series battery configuration you are going to need higher resistance coils, unless you want to do a Smaug impression.

Last edited:

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
Firstly the Sony VTC is a 23 amp battery.
Don't use the 3.7 nominal value, instead use the maximum 4.2 volts charged voltage for your calculations.

Your choice of coil/s resistance depends on whether your dual battery device is in series or in parallel.

Series - Batteries are configured ‘end to end’ electrically. This doubles the available voltage, mAh and amp capacity remain the same. So in your case this gives you a total of 8.4 volts and 23 amps to work with

0.21 ohms @ 8.4 volts = 40 amps and 336 watts

Parallel – Batteries in a parallel configuration will have the combined amp limits and mAh capacity of both batteries, but the voltage remains the same. In your case this means 4.2 volts and 46 amps in total

0.21 ohms @ 4.2 volts = 20 amps and 84 watts

So as you can see if it is a series battery configuration you are going to need higher resistance coils, unless you want to do a Smaug impression.

Very helpful. Thank you!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Ok so what a parallel configuration gives you is a large pool of amps suitable for low resistance builds. In your case with Sony VTCs that pool consists of 46 amps.
So it all depends of what wattage you normally vape at as to what you build. You also haven't mentioned yet specifically which mod you are getting.

As I listed above with your current coil build you will get a theoretical 84 watts, though in reality due to voltage drop is more likely to be around 65 watts.
Not hot enough, then build lower. You could build down to 0.1 ohms and still inside the CDR of your Sonys and get a theoretical output of 190 watts. However there are intrinsic safety issues with building this low and I would not recommend it.
  • Building close to the CDR leaves no safety margin.
  • A batteries CDR decreases over time.
  • Affordable ohm meters do not offer sufficient accuracy to trusted this low. Amp draw increases exponentially as the resistance decreases. Down this low a few hundreds of an ohm can equate to an a huge increase in amp draw.
  • Voltage drop increases exponentially as the current in a circuit increases, down around 0.1 your losses are significant.
My personal preference is for series as this is electrically more efficient, which is paramount in unregulated systems. Parallel is really only suitable (in my opinion) for those who like to use exotic coils which usually have high mass and intrinsic low resistance.

Last edited:

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 3.53.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 3.53.12 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Or you could purchase a mod that you can switch either parallel or series . You would have two devices in one.

Just an idea.

There's a new version of the OBS Cube coming with the OBS Engine MTL. That would be a nice kit.

Wismec Noisy Cricket V2, dirt cheap with safety features, it kinda kills the unregulated box mod dangers but still offers the same power and options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread