The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to Vaping and trying to quit cigs but coughing and worse with the vape?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by SadoniaBostonia, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SadoniaBostonia

SadoniaBostonia Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    New to Vaping and trying to quit cigs but coughing and worse with the vape? I have only been at this for 3 days now and do NOT have the hang of it. Obviously, since I cough and hack and am hanging over a toilet due to vaping. I am trying different strengths and now also came to a conclusion that I may now need a different device! I am using the AIO Aspire Breeze, which is just want I "wanted" but I think I 'need" something different to help me switch from smoking cigarettes to vaping! Anyone have ANY advice for me?

• Like Like x 3
  2. LyLyV

LyLyV Senior Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    Personal opinion - you are not coughing due to vaping. You're coughing due to the fact that if you're not smoking, you are detoxing - getting rid of the built-up gunk in your lungs. That could take a few days, at least. Questions other seasoned ex-smokers would have - how much were you smoking before, and what is your nic level you're using right now?
    I didn't smoke for a couple decades before I started vaping. I rarely cough. Only occasionally when I take way too big of a puff.

I would say stick it out! You'll get past it. And congrats for quitting the cigs!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I was a former smoker, and now vape. I will say one thing, Vaping is not the same as smoking. Vaping is denser and more intense. For starting off, if you cough too much with your current device, you're probably not used to the denser vapor. This is one time where one of those cigalikes or beginner kits fall in to. The aspire breeze comes with a .6 ohm atomizer head. Those can be fairly large for some people to transition to. I say keep that kit, but for your situation, start off with a more cigalike option like the Juul, or Halo. These offer a lower plume of vapor, but also, less coughing and density. The draw will be much tighter. To compensate for the lower vapor, they increase the nicotine content to help satisfy your cravings.

Normally, those products fall just shy of getting someone to quit. For most people, I recommend a kit like the Aspire breeze for starters. But if you're having difficulties with that, take it down a notch and work up if you like. Some people will say it's money wasted, but for me, if it's money that gets you off of cigarettes, then it's not a waste. I started with cigalikes, and worked my way from there. Even though I truely feel they are overpricing the cigalikes, I think it's still money well spent since I haven't smoked a cigarette in years.

Good luck, and BTW, Welcome to the forums. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. NealBJr

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I tend to somewhat disagree. Usually, the detox doesn't start immediately like the OP said... it's been 3 days. Usually, the detox starts to happen after a month or two.. but not after 3 days. I replied mainly to forewarn the original poster.. this WILL happen as well. It will get better though. When you cough turns to a more phlemy type, and you haven't smoked in a while, then it's your body clearing up like what LyLyV said. My sister experienced it and thought it was getting worse... it was the opposite.. her body was starting to clear itself of the excess tar. This happens for a few months, then it slowly disappears as well as the wheesing when you breathe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LyLyV

LyLyV Senior Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    Having done several water only fasts, detox can start within 24 hours of quitting something. Anything toxic. It could most definitely be that. If you've ever detoxed from alcohol or anything else, you'd know what I mean. It happens right away. I almost always feel the effects of detoxing almost immediately if I've consumed something I shouldn't have.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I coughed more when dual using than when vaping, it seemed to me (to be) the fact that I was asking my lungs to handle two different "things" at once, and it did cause more coughing. With that said, a 0.6 coil is sub0hm and it certainly could be the density of the vapor, or too much nicotine for that perticular coil. I started out sub0hming and I hated it. Even lowering my nicotine, I do better with higher resistance coils, in a MTL vape.

For setups a bit more adjustable and customizable than the breeze, I would maybe recommend a pico mod, although depending on which model, you may not want to get the Melo III tank kit, that is also a slightly sub0hm vape, but you could put another MTL topper on there, like the Nautilus 2, the nautiilus mini and etc. Those coils have a much higher resistance (although you can get a 0.7 coil down the line, if you want more vapor. Or you could consider an aspire zelos kit that comes with the Nautilus 2 coil. You would then have the ability to alter coil type, wattage level, and airflow, helping you dial in a vape that suits you. Or, you could go for a small, AIO kit, although again, some are moe customizable than others. But generally I'd say perhaps look at small, MTL kits (whether a small box mod, or something more tubular) might be a good plan. You may need higher nic level to get satisfaction, but I found myself coughing much less and able to vape more, which got me away from dual using more quickly.

With that said, a certain amount of coughing when switching is normal. It will happen if you dual use, but also during detox. Detox MAY start while still dual using, although I don't tend to see that so much. So, even if you get the "perfect vape" you may cough along the way. With that said, if you are coughing so much you can't really get to vaping regularly, that is a problem, so I agree with you idea of looking at other setups, and the Aspire breeze may WORK for you down the line, once you've fully transitioned. I can handle more volume of vapor the longer I vape, although I'm doubtful that I will ever become a dedicated, really low sub0hm vaper.

Best of luck and welcome. I hope you find success and I'm sure you'l get many other ideas on gear from others...

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. NealBJr

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Detoxing from chemicals, and detoxing from Tar are two different things. Tar is stuck on the inside of your lungs. It takes 10 years or more for your lungs to clear up after you stop smoking. But what the OP is experiencing is the destroyed Cilia just not being there. The Cilia pretty much help deal with the mucus in your lungs, and smoking pretty much paralyze them and destroy them. Even though they start to regrow after 3 days of quitting smoking, they won't be regrown enough to handle the excess mucus until after 9 months. In the meantime, your body has to cope with excess mucus and tar in the lungs until they regrow. In short, you will seem to get worse as far as mucus goes, but that is how your body is repairing itself... it still has to get rid of the excess tar and debris that you inhaled as a smoker, and since the Cilia aren't present or greatly reduced, the only way to get rid of it is...by coughing.

That's the shortened part of it. If you want, you can google for more information, or check this site out and give it a good read.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Some good info given in response here, but I think some assumptions are being made, and some of the responses are posed as absolutes. It's not really clear from the OP whether he's clearing lungs, or simply not able to handle the hit taken. I'm not sure because of the quote does "NOT have the hang of it."
    And of course, each person reacts differently when quitting, depending on how much, how long, what they smoked, and how their individual lungs handle it. There are no definitive statements to be made about how each will experience "detoxing." I smoked 46 years, and quit a number of times. Even though I'm just one person, each time my experience was different - from onset time, to severity, and even if there were noticable coughing and "clearing" of tar in my lungs at all. One time might be immediate onset, little severity, but last for a couple of weeks. Other times, the productive coughing didn't start for a couple of weeks, and only lasted a day or two. Interestingly (to me, anyway;)), this final time, when I started to vape, it didn't even really happen to a noticable degree. I did experience mouth soreness when I chain vaped at first with PG containing juices, though. And that stopped after the first month or two.

Anyway, I definitely agree that an AIO might not be best for quitting. The Zelos worked for me - at least you can get different ohm coils, and adjust the wattage, temp & airflow to something that works for you.

And I also agree that, if it is clearing lungs, to Hang in there! It ends, then you feel a lot better!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Welcome to ECF.
    Vaping made me cough too at first. It really just comes down to learning how to hit a vape until you adjust. What worked for me is taking small hits and holding it in my mouth for a few seconds before inhaling. Exhaling thru your nose for the first few weeks also helps your body adjust to the different style of nicotine delivery. My advice is before spending more money maybe just slow down and learn how to vape. Took me less than a week to get to where I could take a full hit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018

11. SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    alright, I am still picking up those dang cigs! I tried taking a vape this morning and was hanging on to the toilet! I will definitely keep trying though! I want the cigs out of my life and I have seen first hand that it can help a person quit! I have been a cig smoker since I was 12 yo and yes I coughed on the first drag of it! But the second cig I picked up I never coughed again until age 52yo, ugh 40 years later! And, I don't like it! I smoked a pack a day most of those 40 years! But just recently since the price of cigs went too high, I started RYO with the tubes and filters, and noticed I am smoking double that, sometimes triple! I want to vape but researching this and all the youtube videos are getting confusing! Yes it's basically the same information about the vapes themselves. I am learning the terminology too. Since the AIO Aspire Breeze is supposed to use salts, I went to the vape shop near me and bought "SALT NKD 100 50PG/50VG 30ML American Patriots, i don't know the nicotine content. I can't see the typeface on the bottle, it's too little. I overpaid, lesson learned there! But with all the info, I seen that the Pockex may be a better way to go for helping me get off the cigs???? Any advice there?
    Oh and Thank you ALL for answering me so quickly!!! I def need this support system!

• Like Like x 2
  12. SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    Thank you all for helping. I really appreciate this!@!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    alright, I am still picking up those dang cigs! I tried taking a vape this morning and was hanging on to the toilet! I will definitely keep trying though! I want the cigs out of my life and I have seen first hand that it can help a person quit! I have been a cig smoker since I was 12 yo and yes I coughed on the first drag of it! But the second cig I picked up I never coughed again until age 52yo, ugh 40 years later! And, I don't like it! I smoked a pack a day most of those 40 years! But just recently since the price of cigs went too high, I started RYO with the tubes and filters, and noticed I am smoking double that, sometimes triple! I want to vape but researching this and all the youtube videos are getting confusing! Yes it's basically the same information about the vapes themselves. I am learning the terminology too. Since the AIO Aspire Breeze is supposed to use salts, I went to the vape shop near me and bought "SALT NKD 100 50PG/50VG 30ML American Patriots, i don't know the nicotine content. I can't see the typeface on the bottle, it's too little. I overpaid, lesson learned there! But with all the info, I seen that the Pockex may be a better way to go for helping me get off the cigs???? Any advice there?
    Oh and Thank you ALL for answering me so quickly!!! I def need this support system!

• Like Like x 1
  14. MJCSD

MJCSD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2014
    usa
    Hello and welcome to ecf

• Like Like x 1
  15. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Any juice with nic salts is smooth. Just quit inhaling the vapor, you absorb nic from a vape more efficiently thru mucus membranes anyway. Occasionally take a tiny hit and inhale it. You simply need to slow down imo. There is a learning curve. Maybe pick up a mouth to lung setup will slow you down enough to let you get the hang of vaping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    I just used a magnifying glass and it's 50mg of nicotine!!!! ya I think that's too high! might be a big part of the problem?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    I just bought a much lower nicotine dosage, cleaned out the tank and put a new coil in and the new salt eliquid! Much better with the coughing!!! I am no longer throwing up!!! I do cough a little bit, but this...I can handle!!!! WISH ME LUCK!!!!

• Like Like x 8
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    This. :thumb:

A Word on Vaping Technique

Smoking vs Vaping Differences

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  19. NealBJr

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Glad to hear that! Yes, the 50MG ejuice is way too high for a .6 ohm coil. I don't think ANY vaper could handle that. That is one thing I forgot to ask you, and I overlooked it. 50mg/ml is designed for those cigalike/pod systems that i recommended earlier. Those don't provide a lot of vapor, and compensate with a high level of nicotine. With a .6 ohm coil, normally a 18mg juice is considered WAY high, 12mg is considered high. 6mg/ml is considered average, 3mg/ml is considered low.

Now, Don't be ashamed if you feel the urge to pickup a cigarette. It's ok to do so, but try to use restraint, and go as long as you can without picking up a regular cig. I always tell people, Ecigs are never a 1:1 replacement for cigarettes. They will always lack "something". Most people dual use for a while, but a few can make the switch immediately. Just stick with it. Every cigarette you avoid, is less tar in your lungs, so think of it that way. I do wish you the best of luck, and if you have ANY questions, feel free to ask.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. Koffee fix

Koffee fix Full Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I'm
    That happened to me as I had mine on a high watt Watt and was binge vaping to get that fix. Reading others posts I followed some of the advice given. I have now lowered my Watt and on a 3 mg nic. I have found that has changed the way I vape now. I use a 1 ohm so that I start on 20 watt and can increase when I feel the need to. My mod watt range from 6 to 40.

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.