New to Vaping and trying to quit cigs but coughing and worse with the vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
New to vaping and trying to quit cigs but coughing and worse with the vape? I have only been at this for 3 days now and do NOT have the hang of it. Obviously, since I cough and hack and am hanging over a toilet due to vaping. I am trying different strengths and now also came to a conclusion that I may now need a different device! I am using the AIO Aspire Breeze, which is just want I "wanted" but I think I 'need" something different to help me switch from smoking cigarettes to vaping! Anyone have ANY advice for me?
Welcome and glad you joined.
If you learn the information below, I believe you will be successful in vaping.
Might like to read:
What Ohms should I choose?
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
Glad to hear that! Yes, the 50MG ejuice is way too high for a .6 ohm coil. I don't think ANY vaper could handle that. That is one thing I forgot to ask you, and I overlooked it. 50mg/ml is designed for those cigalike/pod systems that i recommended earlier. Those don't provide a lot of vapor, and compensate with a high level of nicotine. With a .6 ohm coil, normally a 18mg juice is considered WAY high, 12mg is considered high. 6mg/ml is considered average, 3mg/ml is considered low.

Now, Don't be ashamed if you feel the urge to pickup a cigarette. It's ok to do so, but try to use restraint, and go as long as you can without picking up a regular cig. I always tell people, Ecigs are never a 1:1 replacement for cigarettes. They will always lack "something". Most people dual use for a while, but a few can make the switch immediately. Just stick with it. Every cigarette you avoid, is less tar in your lungs, so think of it that way. I do wish you the best of luck, and if you have ANY questions, feel free to ask.

I am finding that the lower nic is still a bit high! I ordered some different samples with 3mg instead. I hope to get them soon! I keep going for the pack of cig in the drawer, and I carry around the vape and when I am away from the cigs, I vape and then I feel sick! I am going to keep trying! Those cigs are nasty and expensive on a daily basis! I'll keep vaping and trying to find the right combo :)

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Keep working at it. For many of us (including me), it was not an overnight transition. It took me 3 months. I still say try a smaller device to see if that helps if you're still getting sick.

One other thing to help with cravings, there are some juices labeled WTA juices. They contain some more of the extra alkaloids that are found in a traditional cigarette, and are used to help curb the cravings even more. I never had a chance to try one, but I've heard others use it with success. Since they aren't as common, they might not have them in local vape shops, so you'd have to look online. I have no idea if this shop is good or not, but here's one company that sells them. Umbra . There are others. just google WTA juices if you're interested.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
New to Vaping and trying to quit cigs but coughing and worse with the vape? I have only been at this for 3 days now and do NOT have the hang of it. Obviously, since I cough and hack and am hanging over a toilet due to vaping. I am trying different strengths and now also came to a conclusion that I may now need a different device! I am using the AIO Aspire Breeze, which is just want I "wanted" but I think I 'need" something different to help me switch from smoking cigarettes to vaping! Anyone have ANY advice for me?
I was a heavy smoker and I hardly coughed when I switched to vaping but I started with ego pen-like devices and items with low wattage and higher coils. I now use higher wattage - not super high or anything (like 20 watts) - and if I accidentally turn up the wattage I immediately cough.

Not sure - but it looks like your device does not let you adjust the wattage? Maybe a device where you can adjust the wattage would help. Wattage is easy. You just pick a number to start and slowly go up till you find the number that you like. On one hand, I wish there were better devices when I started but on the other hand maybe I would have been coughing too.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I had throat issues before I started vaping and they at first seemed to get worse. Smoking leaves tiny scratches in your throat which are sensitive to liquid nicotine and the vapor has a greater tendency to condense in the throat than smoke. However it doesn't damage the throat much at all so the coughing tends to be first vape of the day, not last cigs. I don't know what you mean "hanging over the toilet", are you sick? That sounds more like excessive nicotine.

Is your hardware working right? Do you have any vaper friends that can try yours and vice versa? Should not get a harsh and acrid taste. I do find that EVERY nonadjustable device is set up too hot and hard hitting for me. If you're only doing very short drags it should be OK, but usually they start burning on anything past 2-3 seconds and repeating this will destroy the coil. Taste what it's doing, if needed you can control it by letting off the button at least 1/2 second, you can even keep on vaping.

A useful technique is to let in a little air around the mouthpiece, this cools and dilutes the vapor and the turbulence increases flavor.

SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    I had throat issues before I started vaping and they at first seemed to get worse. Smoking leaves tiny scratches in your throat which are sensitive to liquid nicotine and the vapor has a greater tendency to condense in the throat than smoke. However it doesn't damage the throat much at all so the coughing tends to be first vape of the day, not last cigs. I don't know what you mean "hanging over the toilet", are you sick? That sounds more like excessive nicotine.

Is your hardware working right? Do you have any vaper friends that can try yours and vice versa? Should not get a harsh and acrid taste. I do find that EVERY nonadjustable device is set up too hot and hard hitting for me. If you're only doing very short drags it should be OK, but usually they start burning on anything past 2-3 seconds and repeating this will destroy the coil. Taste what it's doing, if needed you can control it by letting off the button at least 1/2 second, you can even keep on vaping.

A useful technique is to let in a little air around the mouthpiece, this cools and dilutes the vapor and the turbulence increases flavor.

Hi, yes I was throwing up. Also the nicotine salt that the kid at the vape store sold me was too high content of nicotine and pg/vg for me! It was 50PG/50VG with 50MG of nicotine in a 30ML bottle for $32.00!!!! Yeah, I know...He seen me coming and took full advantage of me! I now know that I need a much lower nicotine content. And have ordered some off the internet for much cheaper and much bigger bottle for $6.00. It was delivered in about 2 days!!! I also ordered a sampler pkg of eliquids for $9.00 and am waiting on that! Should be here very soon, but living here in the Northeast we just got hit with another snow storm so it may take an extra day or two to get here.
    I am using the Aspire Breeze and like it, but am looking to buy an extra set up for myself!
    And no, I have no vaper friends to actually ask for help. The one I do know has quit smoking cigs and then quit vaping because she was pregnant. She has since sold her stuff!!!
    I am finding that if I let more air in, I cough horribly and get mucous and phlegm now when vaping. I used to bite my cigs down tightly and keep my mouth completely wrapped around them when dragging on them. So, I have been experimenting with different ways to vape on the aspire breeze. There is an air flow hole on the side and I am covering it with my finger, or I am vaping on it without covering it. Either way I am coughing and hacking up! I am only take small vapes on it and that is helping but I am craving those dang cigs. Oh well, I will keep trying and am going to buy a different vape as well. Just keep this one on the side in bottom of pocket as a back up! For now anyhow!
    Thank you for all the encouragement!!!

Last edited:
    • Optimistic

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
    I feel your pain. I've tried for years to start vaping again after starting to cough 8 months in, and quitting cigarettes for what I though was for good. I've started again on the nic salts using a nautilus 2 with 1.8 coil set at 9 v and so far so good. At first I couldn't do it in the morning and late at night but have since gotten to where I can do it all day without hacking up a lung, and I have a cold on top of it. Just wanted to hand out some encouragement.

• Useful

SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018

I am getting too much air flow I think. Everytime I lift my finger off the air flow on side of device, I am immediately coughing! Ugh! I wish I knew what I was doing wrong!

• Optimistic

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    ^^-- That's odd. More airflow means cooler running, but sometimes a tighter airflow gets more vacuum which pulls more juice into the wick/coil unit, but that shouldn't be immediate. It sounds more like just a little too much for you. Something less powerful might be better but a larger atomizer can be comfortable with the same or slightly higher power as they run cooler and cleaner.

I looked up the Breeze again and must have forgotten what it was. Haven't tried it but did find the similar looking iCare unusable, harsh and tasted like rubber. Check out a review here, especially at 20-21 min. in and he even decides what you did about the air inlet:

On thing I don't like on that is the dual button/automatic function -- button can be as much about restricting heat as anticipating the drag, I don't think you can do that. There are a lot of nice small units on the market, I suggest at least a detachable tank. I have and like the Vaporesso Drizzle (Avail ExpressX).

Ejuice also affects the harshness, not just the nic but the flavoring. When I started I didn't understand why you would want throat hit it was too much, now I do.

Last edited:

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    Here's the physical reality. What you inhale from cigarettes is smoke and fume, defined as such by the size of the particles. This reaches into the deeper part of the lungs, the pneuma.

Vaping output is closer to a mist, again defined by the size of the particle inhaled. These particles are too large to reach the pneuma and instead settle higher up in the bronchial area.

The cough is your body doing what it's supposed to do... reject foreign matter in the lungs.

Continued vaping will lead to a suppression of a bronchial rejection (coughing) just as smoking led to a suppression of pneumic coughing.

If you work for a larger employer, ask your safety guy or occupational hygienist. They will verify everything I just said.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Here's the physical reality. What you inhale from cigarettes is smoke and fume, defined as such by the size of the particles. This reaches into the deeper part of the lungs, the pneuma.

Vaping output is closer to a mist, again defined by the size of the particle inhaled. These particles are too large to reach the pneuma and instead settle higher up in the bronchial area.

The cough is your body doing what it's supposed to do... reject foreign matter in the lungs.

Continued vaping will lead to a suppression of a bronchial rejection (coughing) just as smoking led to a suppression of pneumic coughing.

If you work for a larger employer, ask your safety guy or occupational hygienist. They will verify everything I just said.
    That all sounds very plausible. And no doubt paragraphs 3 & 4 are correct. 1 and 2 may be, but this piqued my interest, and I can't find any reference to the pneuma as it relates to lung anatomy? Not trying to argue your points @ Torannah, but was genuinely interested. If the size of vapor particulate is larger (and it seems it would be), then this might lead us to believe another reason why vaping could be safer than smoking - by not permeating the lungs as deeply. Anyway, can you point us to info that details those points?

Last edited:

SadoniaBostonia

Mar 12, 2018
    New to Vaping and trying to quit cigs but coughing and worse with the vape? I have only been at this for 3 days now and do NOT have the hang of it. Obviously, since I cough and hack and am hanging over a toilet due to vaping. I am trying different strengths and now also came to a conclusion that I may now need a different device! I am using the AIO Aspire Breeze, which is just want I "wanted" but I think I 'need" something different to help me switch from smoking cigarettes to vaping! Anyone have ANY advice for me?

OMG I did it!!! I vaped for the first time without coughing or hacking!!!! But I did it on another vape:
    Bought an Atmos i50 TC-J mini kit
    I had to try something different!!! And I fiddled and fiddled and kept fiddling with the settings! Now I can start to vape! Wish me luck on quitting those dang cigs!!!!
    I will keep the Aspire Breeze in bottom of pocket for a back up when out and about! Too bad it makes me cough and hack up like crazy, I like the idea of it being so small and convenient, but this Atmos i50 Mini is small too!!! I can finally vape and not be so embarrassed by the coughing and hacking up phlegm!!! (gross)
    Thank you ALL for the encouragement and ALL your help!!!!

p.s. ok I am still coughing and gagging, guess I will keep fiddling with the settings.

Last edited:

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    That all sounds very plausible. And no doubt paragraphs 3 & 4 are correct. 1 and 2 may be, but this piqued my interest, and I can't find any reference to the pneuma as it relates to lung anatomy? Not trying to argue your points @ Torannah, but was genuinely interested. If the size of vapor particulate is larger (and it seems it would be), then this might lead us to believe another reason why vaping could be safer than smoking - by not permeating the lungs as deeply. Anyway, can you point us to info that details those points?

Pneuma is , colloquially, the deeper areas including the alveoli.

Think pneumonia and bronchitis. Both are infections on the lungs the difference is the location. You doctor uses a stethoscope to listen to where the mucous buildup is.

Here's some links to particulate sizes:
    Thoracic and respirable particle definitions for human health risk assessment

How Do Particulates Enter the Respiratory System? : OSH Answers

Control of Airborne Particles -- Occupational Health & Safety.

http://www.tsi.com/uploadedFiles/_S...FjAMegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2RJ80YlmTdQg8zPPLVs3SR

Tomek72

Mar 17, 2018
    I apologize in advance for the translation but I am a translator google because unfortunately I do not know English.What to ask, I smoked cigarettes for a long time and I vaporized nicely, but at the moment I do not smoke and even the scent alone irritates me, you just have to be patient.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I tend to somewhat disagree. Usually, the detox doesn't start immediately like the OP said... it's been 3 days. Usually, the detox starts to happen after a month or two.. but not after 3 days. I replied mainly to forewarn the original poster.. this WILL happen as well. It will get better though. When you cough turns to a more phlemy type, and you haven't smoked in a while, then it's your body clearing up like what LyLyV said. My sister experienced it and thought it was getting worse... it was the opposite.. her body was starting to clear itself of the excess tar. This happens for a few months, then it slowly disappears as well as the wheesing when you breathe.

It depends on how bad a shape the Op' s lungs were in.

I started coughing up phlegm and mucus on day one of vaping. So much so you would have thought I had pneumonia. So much so i was coughing til I puked..

That lasted two weeks for the worst of it, but the coughing didn't go away for about a month

After that i didn't cough again and my breathing was so very much better - it was amazing.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.

This point is highly talked about when you're talking about the effects of cigarette filters. They filter the larger particles, but it's the smaller particles that are more deadly. In essence, the cigarette filters aren't nearly as effective as many people would believe. The smaller particles are the ones that are more Intrusive since smaller particles can by pass many of the lungs defensive nature. There are so much on this subject, it's hard to find one report or study that encompasses everything, but this one seems to go in depth.

Pulmonary Diseases - How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease: The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease - NCBI Bookshelf

• Useful

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    It depends on how bad a shape the Op' s lungs were in.

I started coughing up phlegm and mucus on day one of vaping. So much so you would have thought I had pneumonia. So much so i was coughing til I puked..

That lasted two weeks for the worst of it, but the coughing didn't go away for about a month

After that i didn't cough again and my breathing was so very much better - it was amazing.
    My experience happened more like NealBJr is describing. I was a very heavy smoker for many years. Up to 3 packs a day sometimes. It seemed through the years that everytime I tried quitting cigarettes(by whatever method- that didn't work) my body starting to detox later than the time before. Almost as if it were saying,-----you fooled me the last time and then you started smoking again, so this time I am waiting longer before I go to work to clean your body out. LOL True story.

When I quit with ecigs, it was at least 3 weeks before I started with the awful coughing. And it lasted a very long time for me....prolly because I was such a heavy smoker so had loads to clean out. That first year was kinda rough on my body overall but this time I was determined and made it through.

:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread