Status
Not open for further replies.

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
Hi everyone, I am a noob from South Florida and I am really enjoying the forum.

I read a bunch of 'starter kit' threads and settled on buying the Ego-O CE4 system with the 1000mah batteries from vapedudes. I was tempted to start out with a higher level setup, but I kept coming back to this one because it seemed a bit more basic...and I must admit that I am finding everything a bit overwhelming and complicated. Terms like spinners and variable voltage were starting to haunt my dreams:laugh:!! Anyways, this starter kit looked like one I could understand and handle.

Ego-O CE4 System -1000 mah

One thing that I could use some advice about is the CE4 (2 of them are included in the starter kit). I read a lot of varying opinions on these and many people expressed the thought that the CE4 is the weak point of the kit. People suggested that you should buy a different tank for back-up for when the CE4's go bad. I think Kangers and Evods were mentioned frequently, but I have to admit that I don't even know what these are. For instance, do these kinds of tanks automatically fit my Ego-O? Or do you need to order a specific tank that is made for the Ego-O?

I am happy to buy the right tank for a back-up, especially because I know that I'd have to buy more CE4's in the near future anyway. If anyone has some thoughts on this, I would appreciate the feedback. And if a tank is indeed a good purchase/addition to the Ego-O kit, I would love some specific ideas on where to buy it and what else I might need to support the tank (coils?? again, not too sure what these are).

Thanks! LJP

Last edited:

jac1766

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
The 6th circle
There are countless options for tanks, clearos, and cartomizers... almost ALL will work fine on an eGo battery.
If the atomizer is either eGo (the outside threads) or 510 (the inside threads) threaded, it will fit. Many of the 510 threaded devices will look better with a "collar" that covers the eGo threads and looks more finished.

EVods are a safe bet, make sure they say Kangar in the description cause the fakes are crap. I've heard good things about the Pro-tank 2 and the miniPT2s.
I'm a carto-tank fan and get mine from valleyvapes.com. the only problem, with those, is changing flavors requires a new carto in the tank.

I haven't worked with the CEs but top-wicking systems need to be agitated to keep the wicks wet and drawing...

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
What Jac said...great post.

Welcome to the forum traderljp, and congratulations on making the switch to vaping. Information overload happened to me when I first started (in fact I think I asked almost exactly the same questions then) - all you can do is keep reading and learning about the different options open to you. Have a read of the post above and if you need more information, just ask.

Just be somewhat prepared that vaping is a little fiddly sometimes, it can be frustrating too, and you will probably have a few setbacks on the road. But one day, you'll wake up and everything will go great, you'll understand what is going on and you will have a great vape. Those days will soon all join together and you'll be able to handle anything.

If not, you can always come here and you know you'll get the right answers.

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
Coils for the CE4- "Extend the life of your clearomizer by replacing only the coil! It's easy to do, just unscrew the tip, then the tube, then unscrew the coil and replace it with a fresh one."

Same thing with the Kanger Evods, except the coils are located at the base. Yes, the Evod will fit your Ego. Coils are available through many, many different vendors and I would suggest purchasing some in the 1.8 to 2.5 ohm range.

Coils are also rebuildable, but that may be a topic for another day.

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
jac, Aglet and ghola, thank you for the useful information and the welcome!

You have a really great forum here...I posted at midnight last night and first thing in the morning I am reading your replies. First of all, I did not know that one could replace the coil in a CE4 (heck, i didn't even know that a CE4 had a coil - I thought it had a wick :) ), so I will look into how to do that. Also, if I do buy a Kanger Evod, how long do the coils last and how many coils do you normally buy as replacement coils?

Thanks again, LJP

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
If you don't feel comfortable with going to the EVod yet, the CE5 tanks aren't too bad. I've been using the same CE5 as a backup for my Protanks for 2 weeks now, and other than it being wobbly its a decent piece.

Thanks for the idea Jay. I looked up the difference between the two and it looks like the CE5 is more of a rebuild-able piece with a base that unscrews and a fully changeable head (the part with the wick and coil?), while the CE4 is typically more of a disposable piece. I like the idea of saving some money and just replacing the changeable head. Do you keep a bunch of extra changeable heads at the ready for you CE5?

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
You are right, the CE4 is a disposable clearomizer - you can clean it by running it under hot water and maybe a couple of hours soak in alcohol and a rinse - that will extend the life of them, but you can't replace the coil head in there.

I started out with the CE5 (a lot of people know them as the stardust clearo) , I bought 5 replacement coil heads for them from MyVaporStore. Backups are always important.
Each head lasted me a good couple of weeks with regular cleaning. They are a decent performing clearo, but you do need to keep it 1/2 or above full to get best results and you will need to keep twirling it to make sure those wicks stay wet with juice.

I've posted the video below on how to clean them. He refers to them as the stardust, but you can totally get the idea as to how to clean pretty much any 'top coil' clearomizer like the CE5

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
Aglet,

That video was just what I needed! Not only did it give me a tutorial on cleaning, but I was able to see all the parts which really helped. I think the CE5 is preferable over the CE4 for me as it looks much easier to clean and cheaper to use in the long run by replacing the coil heads. The kit I purchased comes with two CE4's, but I think I will buy some CE5's and a bunch of replacement heads right off the bat.

Thanks! LJP

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
Heck...if the CE5 is better then the CE4, what about the CE6! :p I spent some time on the fasttech website (wow) and saw they had all of the above. I am thinking that the following CE6's as well as these back-up heads should set me up pretty good:

$11.90 CE6 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Atomizer (7-Pack / 1.6mL) 7-pack - red + blue + yellow + black + purple + green + translucent / 2.4

$4.47 Latest CE5 / CE6 / CE7 / Vivi Nova Atomizer Coil Head (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

If anyone can confirm that all of these will fit on the batteries that come with my Ego-O kit from vapedudes I would appreciate it (Ego-O CE4 System -1000 mah ).

Thanks for all the help! LJP

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
lol, the CE6 will fit on your batteries no problem, and those heads look right to me. But before you order a bunch of them, two things real quick.

A lot of people (me included) have ordered things from fasttech with great results. But their clearos are really hit and miss on quality. Buyer beware, they may leak on you. At the least, you will probably have to boil the heads as they often have a residual machine oil taste.

Second thing is, there are 'better' clearos out there. I put better in quotes because I still like the CE5 type clearo, but the Vivi Nova is my preferred top coil clearo, and the EVOD is my preferred bottom coil clearo.

Might I suggest you get a couple of the CE6, and maybe an EVOD or two from fastech and then see which you prefer before buying a lot of them?

Of course you are free to go whichever route you prefer and the worst case is you will have a bunch of CE6's as backups even if you go with something else.

Oh and you are most welcome for the help. This forum helped me so much when I started, glad I can pay a tiny bit back to other new members.

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
Good advice. I'll add a couple of EVOD's $2.65 EVOD Electronic Cigarettes Round Mouth Atomizer (1.5mL) - black / 2.6 and some back-up heating coils $4.58 EVOD Electronic Cigarettes Atomizer Heating Core (5-Pack) 5-pack - 2.4 so I can compare before I buy huge amounts of CE6's. Although I must admit, with Fasttech's low prices, it almost doesn't matter if I get the multi-pack!

I'll update with my 'findings' after I get all this stuff...but I've read that fasttech can take a long while to deliver, so it may be awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread