New to Vaping. Charging questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katerinaedwards

May 16, 2017
I just started vaping literally yesterday so i'm a super noob. I have a smok v8 stick baby. It says it has a V8 2000 battery. It came with a USB cable that I plugged into my iPhone block to charge from a wall outlet. It's been charging for about 3 hours and the red light is still on. Should it take this long? Is it ok to use the iPhone block, if not what should I use? Also, can you vape while charging? Does it have to be fully charged before I can take it off charge? Can you charge it before its completely dead?

Thanks so much!!!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Don't have that device, but in general... do NOT vape while charging unless the device manual specifically says that you can. Catastrophic failure to the device, the charger and perhaps your body are distinctly possible.

3 hours or more for a deeply discharged 2000 mAh battery isn't unusual, especially if using USB computer ports. Most are limited to 0.5 amp charging, although that's beginning to change. Many do charge from a computer port, but a failure of the battery may cause a failure of the computer USB port, or worse. Better to use the block in the wall, as you've done. :thumb: Any USB wall wart (block) will be 5 VDC output, so no problems there. Look at the output current rating. It needs to be at least 500 mA (0.5 amp), 1000 is better, since the charge circuit in the battery case will only draw what it needs.

You can take it off charge and use it at any time, it doesn't have to be fully charged. And you can put it on charge at any time. Actually, before it's fully dead will yield a longer service life.

And welcome to ECF!

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Hi. If you check my blog I have a section about batteries and charging that should assist you.

And depending on how low the battery was, yes, it can take a few hours to fully charge it.

If you look up charging and this particular device, I was able to find quickly that others report have had issues charging it with the iPhone adapters, and that one person reported that the initial charge took almost 10 hours on such an adapter (which I gather is a 0.5A).

Get yourself a GOOD name brand 1A adapter, it should help you get this thing charged faster. Do not get or use a cheap no-name Walmart or dollar store one. You can get some good quality power bars that offers warranties and have USB charging ports built-in them.

And computer USB ports (0.5A) are just fine to use, if you have a USB 3.0 port it'll be a bit faster (0.9A).

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I just started vaping literally yesterday so i'm a super noob. I have a Smok V8 stick baby. It says it has a V8 2000 battery. It came with a USB cable that I plugged into my iPhone block to charge from a wall outlet. It's been charging for about 3 hours and the red light is still on. Should it take this long? Is it ok to use the iPhone block, if not what should I use? Also, can you vape while charging? Does it have to be fully charged before I can take it off charge? Can you charge it before its completely dead?

Thanks so much!!!
charging time is going to also depend on your wall charger....is it a .5 a, 1 a, 2 a, 3a?? i'm guessing a .5a which then yes it's going to take a long time to charge a 2000 mAh batter off of a .5a is going to take like 5 hours or more...

as for pass-thru charging (being able to vape while charging) I'm not sure about that mod, i did try to look up info and 3 sites i visited did not say....so only thing i could tell you is to try and if it fires while charging then yes it is, if it doesn't then no it's not....

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
A 2A USB adapter would be more optimal for charging that device - if the charging circuit in the mod draws, say 1A, then a 2A adapter would only be being taxed at 50% of it's maximum rating. This is much better than running a 1A adapter at 100% of it's rating all the time - it'll get warm and quite possibly not last as long.

No - you don't have to fully charge it before using it, and yes you can put it on charge whenever you like, and not just when it's fully empty.

Having said that - it's advisable to make the first charge out of the box a full 100% one, and then go from there.

Reactions: KenD

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
A 2A USB adapter would be more optimal for charging that device - if the charging circuit in the mod draws, say 1A, then a 2A adapter would only be being taxed at 50% of it's maximum rating. This is much better than running a 1A adapter at 100% of it's rating all the time - it'll get warm and quite possibly not last as long.

No - you don't have to fully charge it before using it, and yes you can put it on charge whenever you like, and not just when it's fully empty.

Having said that - it's advisable to make the first charge out of the box a full 100% one, and then go from there.

Sorry but that is not how adapters work... I've explained this many times now, and I'd really like to get rid of this myth....

If you have an adapter that runs hot under it's rated output, it's crap, get a better one. A higher Amp adapter will not run "lower" as some have been made to believe, it will get just as hot.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
A higher Amp adapter will not run "lower" as some have been made to believe, it will get just as hot.
How is that the case, then? A higher rated adapter will be larger and better heatsunk, so will be able to disperse heat better.

Also, switched mode power supplies (which most quality adapters are these days) work most efficiently at around 40-60% of their maximum output - this is more efficient (and cooler) than running one at 100%.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
How is that the case, then? A higher rated adapter will be larger and better heatsunk, so will be able to disperse heat better.

Also, switched mode power supplies (which most quality adapters are these days) work most efficiently at around 40-60% of their maximum output - this is more efficient (and cooler) than running one at 100%.

Well, just try and find me an official source for your claim...

Here's one I'll provide: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best

Multiple tests, for adapters 0.7A to 2.1A rated adapters... funny but the efficiency is similar across all of them from the brand names (decent range) the cheap ones (which is bad).

If an adapter would be so inefficient as you claim, they'd be a risk regardless of being use with any device.

What it also comes down to is that the device is what controls the power, and if anything, 0.5A is better to charge 18650 for it's lifespan.

And no.. the device cannot "force" and pull power like many believe they do (causing this mythical overheating). The device simply takes what it's given and uses it. It extra Amps are available, it will and can only take up to what it's designed to handle as a max.

And in the end, the thing is, adapters that aren't crap, actually have to pass efficiency testing and be within a proper range. It's actually an industry standard. So if you have a crappy adapter, odds are, it won't be certified.

If the adapter cannot disperse any extra heat and such, then it's not a very good one, and a larger adapter may take a bit longer to heat up due to being a bit larger, but it will heat up just the same.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Sorry but that is not how adapters work... I've explained this many times now, and I'd really like to get rid of this myth....

If you have an adapter that runs hot under it's rated output, it's crap, get a better one. A higher Amp adapter will not run "lower" as some have been made to believe, it will get just as hot.
You've explained it many times, but you're wrong. And that's been pointed out by actual experts numerous times.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Continuity

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Katerina & welcome
Some good advice being given you. The fact that the discussion has gone off on a bit of a tangent almost always happens with discussions about batteries, circuits, and charging. I guess that is the area many us have only a bit of knowledge about so I for one enjoy these educational debates.

Back to your original questions, I have read that few vape devices have true pass through circuits in them and that at most they simply interrupt the charging when you hit the fire button. But as David pointed out don't do it unless the instructions say it's OK and I doubt your unit is one that it is OK to do.

I'll let you interpret the discussion of adapters and will only say I would go for a decent quality one with a 1 amp max. There are some good USB multi chargers out there with their own protection circuits in them. Have a look on Amazon.

Now to a recommendation I would strongly advise. Get a second vape device as a backup for when one is charging or worse yet broken. Ciggies make for a very poor plan B.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I just started vaping literally yesterday so i'm a super noob. I have a Smok V8 stick baby. It says it has a V8 2000 battery. It came with a USB cable that I plugged into my iPhone block to charge from a wall outlet. It's been charging for about 3 hours and the red light is still on. Should it take this long? Is it ok to use the iPhone block, if not what should I use? Also, can you vape while charging? Does it have to be fully charged before I can take it off charge? Can you charge it before its completely dead?
Thanks so much!!!
Welcome and glad you joined.
For definitive answers, it's best to contact Smoke to get a safe answers. Why? because they know their device better than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread