New to vaping...why so many metal options for coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the add, I'm new to vaping, trying to stop smoking. Have been vaping for about 2 weeks now.

My kit is a Kanger Subvod and I've really only tried tobacco flavours so far...American Patriots and Euro Gold from Naked 100 e juice.

I bought an Ijoy Captain 270 and a Tobeco Super Tank 25mm as my new kit and waiting for shipment.

Still trying to figure out what the difference between stainless steel, kanthal and nickel coils are....

Thanks for the add, I'm new to vaping, trying to stop smoking. Have been vaping for about 2 weeks now.

My kit is a Kanger Subvod and I've really only tried tobacco flavours so far...American Patriots and Euro Gold from Naked 100 e juice.

I bought an Ijoy Captain 270 and a Tobeco Super Tank 25mm as my new kit and waiting for shipment.

Still trying to figure out what the difference between stainless steel, kanthal and nickel coils are....
They are just different types of metal. Some metals allow for TC, they have different resistances, ramp up times etc. I personally prefer Nichrome 80 (I build my own coils), but you'll find what you like in time. I wouldn't fret about it until you get into building.

This should help: 5 Types Of Wires Used For Vaping

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
coil building is good on many levels. not long started winding them...began (as i think most do) with kanthal but recently did a few stainless steel numbers and am messing with TC.
and yes, the captain is a nice mod.
welcome to the forums.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Ni & Ti coils are for temp control use only.
NiCr is most often used in watt/power mode, a few power devices claim to be able to temp control NiCr.
SS can be used in watt or temp control mode.
Kanthal is mostly used in watt mode, a few power devices claim to be able to temp control Kanthal.

Nice link he put in for you, Kanthal is not used in temp mode, it has to be used in watts mod. I'm not sure about the Nichrome 80 since it is not listed in the vaporizer temp mode.
I used nickel wire in the past for temp mode but have changed to stainless steel.
Ni80 can't be used in TC I'm pretty sure

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Sorry, sometimes the titles just make things jump in my head...
CustomMeme1.jpg

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Kanthal (iron-chromium-aluminum, "FeCrAl") already has a long history of use in heating elements. It can withstand high temperatures and forms a protective oxide layer on the surface that is thermally conductive and electircally non-conductive.

Nichrome (nickel-chromium, "Ni80"/others) is similar to Kanthal, but offers lower resistance with the same coil size. This allows for higher power output on a mechanical/un-regulated, and faster ramp-up time on a regulated device, when compared with Kanthal.

Stainless Steel (iron-chromium-nickel-molybdenum, "SS316L"/others) has even less resistance still and, unlike the other two, can also be used in the appropriate temperature-control mode since the resistance value increases predictably as it heats up.

Nickel (pure, "Ni200") was the first wire used for temperature-control and, unlike SS, can only be used that way. Nickel wire if used in straight "wattage" mode (no temp. control) can get hot enough to emit harmful substances, which occurs at much lower temperatures than the previous examples.

Titanium (pure, "Ti") is like nickel, in that it has very low resistance, and should only be used in the appropriate temp. control mode, never in wattage mode (or bypass/direct-output/anything other than "TC-Ti" for Titanium or "TC-Ni" for nickel).

--------------------

Some people report a "metallic" taste with either Kanthal, Nichrome, or SS coils, and swear by one of the others as having a "cleaner" taste. Then again, others will say the exact same thing, but in reverse. I'm not what you'd call a "super-taster," and personally I don't notice a difference in taste between the metals. I use Kanthal, because that's what I started with and still have some left, and also SS because of its versatility and ability to be used in temp. control and wattage/bypass modes, and even on completely unregulated, mechanical devices if I wish.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Kanthal is not used in temp mode, it has to be used in watts mod. I'm not sure about the Nichrome 80
Ni80 can't be used in TC I'm pretty sure
Note the operative word in Topwater's post: some power devices claim to be able to temp. control those wires. They don't say how they do it, and we don't see how they can, but nevertheless, that is their claim.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Devices that claim to do temp control on NiChrome include the Smoant Battlestar and probably their other mods too. I've tried the NC mode on the Battlestar. It's not monitoring resistance and estimating temperature based on a TCR relationship.

It is varying wattage in what feels like a fixed pulse, and my theory is that the pulse rate, duration and intensity are based on coil resistance and the user's temperature setting. That's not temp "control" per se. But it is dry/burnt hit avoidance, which is the goal of TC, so there's that.

I know some users that are doing TC with Kanthal, Eleaf mods with the IJoy chipset and firmware they customized with Arctic Fox. One of'em tried to explain it to me and by the time he was through I wondered why he didn't just wrap a stainless coil.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It seems like SS is sort of catching up to every other metal, I use it because it's reliable, easy, and can be used in both modes and I don't have to worry about accidental overheating. I think there are certain ceramic coils that you can use in TC mode as well, if that's something you are interested in. I think TC started with nickel and titanium which is why that stuff is still around, but SS is sort of receiving an upsurge in interest due to safety and its ability to perform well in both modes. I wish more manufacturers of drop in coils would start using TC more. :)

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I'm happy with Kanthal A! in the wattage mode, then again, I not fond of pushing the limits of coils.
For the captain, I would stick to the following material only, "Temperature Control Mode: Nickel (Ni200), Titanium (Ti), Stainless Steel (SS), TCR" . Why invoke unpleasant surprises.
TCR/ re: What is TCR? - Vape Escapes

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY

Hello and Welcome,
Different coil materials heat up at different rates. Two of the coil types you mention above, SS, Kanthal , can all be used in Wattage mode.
As for the nickle coil you mentioned, ONLY TO BE USED IN TC (Temerature Mode). This is due to how nickle reacts to excessive heat, as well as Ti (Titanium).
If your just beginning the vape journey, its probably best to stay with Kanthal. Once you have the vape fever and want to try other coils, I'd go in order.... SS- Nichrome ( which both can be saftly used in wattage mode.) Then Ni (Nickle) and Ti.
People say,, Nickle vapes cleaner, heats up faster,,, SS lasts longer and stays cleaner.
Kanthal is the main coil material used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread