New Tobacco law already taking it's toll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvlninety9

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2009
Texas
What's funny is that the anti-tobacco people will probably try to put a spin on this and make it seem like their plan to ultimately rid our country of tobacco is working. It's sad to say the least, but some people are just ignorant like that. Anti-tobacco firms don't care that these 500 people are losing their jobs and in turn losing their ability to provide for their families. All they care about is removing it from our stores and out of everyone's hands.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Very sad, SmokingClam. I spent 12 years at The Tampa Tribune, called Cigar City by those with CB radios. Cigar making runs deep in the history of that city. I also smoked Hav-A-Tampa Jewels periodically. They are one of the very few cigars that can be easily inhaled. Plus, they are the best-smelling cigar a person can buy.

This changing tobacco landscape does not please me, but smokers are no longer citizens to be pleased. They are second-class citizens with a despicable habit/addiction, so hit 'em with ever-higher taxes and try to force them to quit. That fact of life today makes me worry about life in my tomorrows.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm keeping my politics out of this. Plenty of blame to go around, that's for sure, and no unbloodied hands that I can see!

Remember when Florida's cigar industry had major legislative clout? I do. And, one week from today, Florida slams state tobacco taxes through the roof. $1 a pack more on cigarettes; $1 an ounce on pipe tobacco and other tobacco products. With one exception: Cigars. The industry convinced the Legislature to exclude cigars from new taxes, to help a major Florida industry.

And now that industry is closing down one of the biggest plants in Tampa.

Where's my black arm band?

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
As TropicalBob mentioned Florida just passed a huge tax on tobacco in Florida ( on top of the national one)
They knew it would run the cigar making companies out, they excluded them, but they just don't care about the other related jobs being ran out .
Tax this, tax that .. it's getting quite ridiculous around here.
What bothers me.. they get away with it because everyone doesn't like smokers and it's a popular thing to hate on.
But let them do that and next will be soda's ( in process) and anything else they don't like. Too much goverment control and taxes in our lives and it's just a toe hold in the door and opening to give them even more.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
But let them do that and next will be soda's ( in process) and anything else they don't like. Too much goverment control and taxes in our lives and it's just a toe hold in the door and opening to give them even more.

Avoid the slippery slope. The proposed soda tax will never pass. Far too many people drink it for it to be subject to a tax. The only reason it was proposed was to pay for national health care, and frankly, if that's what it takes to get national health care, I'd be more than willing to pay a tax on soda.

That being said, you already pointed out the critical point. They tax the crap out of cigarettes because smokers have become loathed by society. It's a culture war, not rational policy. Smokers only make up less than 2 in 10. The general population has been trained to hate them. They're too small a minority and too loathed to do anything about it, so they get treated like crap.

That's why PVs represent a serious threat to the establishment. The idea that smokers would no longer be pariahs due to the lack of second hand smoke, bad smells and so forth is the worst nightmare scenario for most anti-smoking groups. If people stop smoking, they're out of business... and if people switch to PVs, they're doubly screwed because their tactical goal is to demonize smokers at all costs. That's why the anti-smoking rhetoric is applied to PVs (they're for kids because the juice comes in flavors, there's no evidence that they're any safer than analogues etc.) so readily. It's a culture war. PVs threaten the mainstream. Logic and reason have exactly nothing to do with it. Tyranny of the majority is the name of the game.

Last edited:

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
FTA: "A cigar factory in Tampa is closing its doors and laying off nearly 500 workers." "McKenzie says the cigars will continue to be produced at a plant in Puerto Rico."

I am confused by this - If they are going to continue to make the cigars in Puerto Rico - How is this related to taxes or the tobacco bill - PR is still subject to US taxes as a US territory and nearly the 51st state - Is there really a relation to the taxes or bill - Or is this just a company decision based on wages or something else? If they will still be sold in the Continental US they will still be taxed - No? Even if PR is somehow free of this tax (on production?) are imports free from the tax? I think not! Do goods from PR even count as "imports"?

fresca

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
I am confused by this - If they are going to continue to make the cigars in Puerto Rico - How is this related to taxes or the tobacco bill - PR is still subject to US taxes as a US territory and nearly the 51st state - Is there really a relation to the taxes or bill - Or is this just a company decision based on wages or something else? If they will still be sold in the Continental US they will still be taxed - No? Even if PR is somehow free of this tax (on production?) are imports free from the tax? I think not! Do goods from PR even count as "imports"?

My impression, which could be wrong, is that the demand for cigars has decreased so much (due to the increase in taxes), that they had to cut down on production. They chose to close the Tampa factory and leave the PR factory open. Maybe the PR factory is more cost efficient than the Tampa factory.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
The move to PR is also partially due perhaps to our insane Insurance rates here in Florida.
Frankly it's crazy. They are dropping policies and increasing them at crazy rates.
For example, my house is nowhere near water or beach, no claims.. State farm - paying 3000.00 a year, just got a notice they are pulling out of Fl. but will stay another year so everyone can get on another carrier( heh good luck with that one). New policy rate quoted starting Aug is 5400.00 a year. 8-o
Can you imagine for a business the insurance cost's, along with the new taxes and other operating cost's? I really can't blame them.

Last edited:

openthewell

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Chico, CA
It is possible that the demand for cigars has gone down, simply because demand has gone down. Its a bit presumptuous to assume that decrease in demand is directly related to increase in taxes. Out here in Cali, our cigarette tax recently sky rocketed (it was a $1.50 increase, so I think its close to $3 a pack now), with name brand smokes costing between $5-6. From what I've seen, demand has not been directly affected yet, and I'm not sure it will be anytime soon; just my $.02.

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
It is possible that the demand for cigars has gone down, simply because demand has gone down. Its a bit presumptuous to assume that decrease in demand is directly related to increase in taxes. Out here in Cali, our cigarette tax recently sky rocketed (it was a $1.50 increase, so I think its close to $3 a pack now), with name brand smokes costing between $5-6. From what I've seen, demand has not been directly affected yet, and I'm not sure it will be anytime soon; just my $.02.

yeah just wondering

with hampered (to non existant) advertising, increased public knowledge of health, economy slump, e-cigarette popularity, public smoking laws, etc im suprised that its just 500 jobs thats being complained about here.

cmon dont blame increased cost to the end user.

hell this e-cigarette market that where all (nearly all) here in support of will be just as threatning to anybody who works for a tobacco company. (e-juice and associated companies excluded of course).

and as far as hating on smokers go you only feed this any time you expain to a curious on looker how much safer and less offensive e-cigarettes are. Leaning on how unhealthy and foul smelling (to non smokers) cigarettes (or cigars) are only feeds the flame.

perhaps demand is affected by ppl just quitting.

i personally quit smoking two years ago, high prices, public opinion, and public bans had nothing to do with it (they did however help me keep from starting back). i simply decided that i wanted to do what i could to make sure that im around when my children get married and have kids. i wanna have grandchildren to spoil without haveing to carry around an oxygen tank.

it wasnt until about a month ago that i heard about e-cigarettes and i ordered one out of curiosity, i ususaly only vape 0nic juice, but i have managed to finish about 5ml of JC low smoke juice.

anyway i forgot where i was going with all this and i dont really feel like rereading what i wrote ........ so ....... fin?

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
The tax load is what caused this one, but it's only the beginning. Anyone so naive to think "they won't dare do that" is fooling themselves. This tax hungry atomosphere takes no prisoners, cares for no man. And colorfully spin it to look as though they're just watching out for a everyone. That cigar factory is a dirty shame, the RYO industry is suffering.
Next.......................

openthewell

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Chico, CA
yeah just wondering

with hampered (to non existant) advertising, increased public knowledge of health, economy slump, e-cigarette popularity, public smoking laws, etc im suprised that its just 500 jobs thats being complained about here.

cmon dont blame increased cost to the end user.

hell this e-cigarette market that where all (nearly all) here in support of will be just as threatning to anybody who works for a tobacco company. (e-juice and associated companies excluded of course).

and as far as hating on smokers go you only feed this any time you expain to a curious on looker how much safer and less offensive e-cigarettes are. Leaning on how unhealthy and foul smelling (to non smokers) cigarettes (or cigars) are only feeds the flame.

perhaps demand is affected by ppl just quitting.

i personally quit smoking two years ago, high prices, public opinion, and public bans had nothing to do with it (they did however help me keep from starting back). i simply decided that i wanted to do what i could to make sure that im around when my children get married and have kids. i wanna have grandchildren to spoil without haveing to carry around an oxygen tank.

it wasnt until about a month ago that i heard about e-cigarettes and i ordered one out of curiosity, i ususaly only vape 0nic juice, but i have managed to finish about 5ml of JC low smoke juice.

anyway i forgot where i was going with all this and i dont really feel like rereading what i wrote ........ so ....... fin?

Well put; I obviously could not have put it so eloquently. With all the equations that come into play in micro/macro economics, blaming decrease popularity on a tax increase is grossly over simplifying the situation.

Also, kudos on your support of NORML.

smokingclam

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Punta Gorda, Florida
The tax load is what caused this one, but it's only the beginning. Anyone so naive to think "they won't dare do that" is fooling themselves. This tax hungry atomosphere takes no prisoners, cares for no man. And colorfully spin it to look as though they're just watching out for a everyone. That cigar factory is a dirty shame, the RYO industry is suffering.
Next.......................

I'm sure taxes are one of the biggest factors here. What had me wondering about the new law is that Altadis is a big maker of "flavored" products. I believe the are the makers of Phillie Blunts one of the most popular flavored out there.

Being that they just banned flavored tobacco I'm wondering if that had anything to do with them throwing in the towel here in Tampa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread