New user questionnaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZepHedEd

Jan 17, 2013
Denver
Newbie, 2nd post. Decided to answer zapped's great questionnaire - hope it is alright to start a new thread. Quick background on me: 30 year smoker, not completely new to vaping - have been using an Apollo eGo rig with Ce4s for three weeks now and it is working well but would like advice based on my answers below. Thanks much!

1. How many cigarettes did you smoke or are currently smoking per day? A number is very helpful since my idea of a heavy or casual smoker could be very different from yours. A: was smoking 1-1/2 to 2 packs per day, am now smoking about 1 pack every 3 days in addition to vaping. Would like to quit tobacco cigs completely!

2. Did you smoke ultra lights,lights, full flavor, filter-less, roll-your-own or cigars? A: full flavor

3. How important is it for your electronic cigarette (also called a mod, PV or APV) to look like and feel like a cigarette to you? A: not very important

3. Do you like things big, bulky and durable or do you prefer small and compact? A: not huge; I consider the eGO with the tank on top to be a bit big, but I don't think it is "bulky"....just not easy to carry and store when I'm out and about. Would be nice to have an inside rig where size doesn't matter so much and where it is easy to switch out tanks - like the eGo I suppose, and an outside rig that is easy/convenient to carry and use.

4. Which shape is more pleasing to you to hold: something cylindrical or a box shape? A: cylindrical I think

5.How long would you like or need the batteries to last in a typical day.For some this an 8 hour shift or could be 16 or more hours depending on your lifestyle. A: 10-12 hours of fairly frequent vaping

6. How much effort do you want to put into vaping? Do you want something that requires little effort or are you more of a tinkerer? Generally extremely active lifestyles or someone who's constantly on the go doesn't have a lot of time but the reverse could be true for you as well. A: little effort, not a tinkerer really

7.Do you think you would prefer tobacco, menthol, fruit and candy or dessert flavors? A: I like Apollo's classic tobacco a lot, not so much for dessert/fruit flavors (except mango peach and Rocky Road so far), would like to try red hots or cinnamon-y and candy flavors for the heck of it...recommendations gladly accepted!

8.Do you think you would like a warmer or a cooler vape? (A warm vape uses higher voltage or lower resistances to make the vapor warmer in your mouth while a cool vape works just the opposite) Also let us know if you have sensitivities to cold or an aversion to hot liquids. A: no real sensitivities to hot or cold, probably prefer a cooler vape

9. What is more important to you, throat hit (that feeling of weight or tickle hitting the back of your throat when you inhale) , vapor production (the amount of vapor or steam produced by your device and/or e-liquid) or flavor(The intensity of the taste of the vapor)? Again its okay to have more than one answer but please list them in order of importance. A: vapor production, then flavor, then TH

10.Which is more important to you, price,quality, ease of use, or reliability? Its okay to have more than one answer just list them in order of importance. A: reliability first, quality second, then ease of use.

11.How much are you looking to spend on your initial purchase or upgrade? A: willing to spend in the $50-$75 range for the right upgrade

12. Have you looked at any other accessories such as clearomizers, cartomizers, tanks, pre-filled cartidges etc and do you have any questions about how they work or what they are? A: still confused about the difference between clearos/cartos/atomizers. I have heard folks refer to the Ce4 as a clearomizer and atomizer. I see the term cartomizer but couldn't tell you what the difference is between it and a clearomizer. From what I have read about pre-fiilled cartridges they sound not very cost effective, plus I want to "control" my juices (for example, I have mixed some regular tobacco juice with menthol juice to cut down the menthol-ness.) I am also not sure what to expect in terms of equipment life -for example, how long will a new Ce4 last? What kind of ongoing equipment cost will I have? The juice is not horribly expensive but I have no feel for how much I might have to spend on equipment over time.

13. Would you feel more comfortable vaping (popular term used to refer to inhaling vapor from an electronic cigarette, mod, PV or APV) in public or do you prefer to do it in private? A: I have no problem vaping in public in places where smoking is allowed or normal - i.e., outside. I have vaped in bars and stores and such a few times absentmindedly. I catch myself and think "wait, you can't do that here" but then figure that if anyone asks I will just explain that it isn't smoke. I still feel weird, though, about vaping in public places where smoking isn't allowed.

14. Whats your favorite color? A: blue

15. Do you have any disabilities or other difficulties that might have a bearing on your choice? ex: some peoples wrists aren't strong enough to hold a big battery mod or their eyesight doesnt allow easy filling of ejuice (the liquid containing nicotine and flavoring used in electronic cigarettes, also referred to as nicquid or e-liquid) A: no

16. Have you thought about securing backup devices in the event of failure or purchasing extra batteries? A: yes, specifically I think I should get more batteries as backups so I am never at the mercy of a charger and can have multiple flavors going at one time. I also want to try different flavors without having to do a lot of tank cleaning between flavors.

17. Do you think you would prefer a battery that starts at 3.7 volts and gradually drops in voltage and vapor production as it drains or would you prefer the voltage to stay the same throughout the life of the battery? A: not sure what the significance of 3.7 volts is, but think I would prefer a battery that is steady. I notice with the eGo batteries that I can tell when they are getting low on charge because the quantity of vapor declines dramatically and I have to draw harder; it would be nice to have a battery that clearly indicated it was time to re-charge.

Hope the post isn't too long or rambling, thanks for any advice or pointers you all may give me. Love the E-Cigarette forum by the way!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I might be able to shed some light on the differences of the more common juice delivery devices with this picture dictionary that I created: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...minology-carto-tank-what-lol.html#post7562212

I couldn't tell from your post what upgrades from your current setup that you are looking to explore. A different juice carrying device?

If you are interested in trying a cinnamon flavor, be aware that many of the cinnamon and citris flavors can crack or melt the clear plastic (polycarbonate) in clearomizers and cartotanks that use that material. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-33.html#post8158663

For those flavors, you would need to use a cartomizer, or a pyrex or polypropylene-tubed cartotank. A cartotank is a nice option for having a larger capacity device for carefree vaping for an extended period of time. There is a slight learning curve involved, as with almost any new device. Multiple cartotanks can be utilized, each with their own flavor, and easily changed out by exchanging one tank with another.

When testing different or new flavors and not wishing to fill an entire cartomizer, clearomizer, or cartotank; many people like to "drip" on a bare atomizer. These are essentially a short cartomizer without the polyfill material. A few drops of e-juice is dropped into the atomizer's top, vaped for several puffs, and more drops applied. This can be messy, time consuming, and obviously not easy to do while driving. It's not for everyone.

I prefer using either ce2 or ce3's. These are 0.5-1.0 ml in capacity, the same size and shape of a cartomizer. They are reusable, meaning they can be cleaned, allowed to dry, and another flavor used. Unlike a cartomizer whose polyfill will continue to retain the previous flavor.

ce2-1.jpg phoenix.jpg CE3's.jpg

T41CK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
For starters welcome to the forum, glad you could make it. You have came to the right place to get your questions answered:).

3 & 5)It will be difficult to get you an upgrade that will last 10-12 hours that is no bigger than an eGo. The eGo twist is a great choice and it will not let you down. Thing is, it comes standard with a Variable Voltage that is adjusted with a potentiometer on the bottom of the device. They also make larger eGo batteries that are not the eGo Twist. There are plenty of good eGo devices out there;)

6) I think the best thing for you with minimal tinkering;) would be a Stardust V3, Stardust Clearomizer - Blue they also sell them in a series of different colors. The only problem is that they will need the heads changed on them max once a week to keep good flavor and clean ejuice. Don't worry the head are Quite easy to change. There are plenty of videos on showing you how if you do not know already. I literally takes 2 minutes to change these heads and fill back up with juice. Oh yeah you can find the heads in this same website here Stardust v3 Replacement Coils

7 & 9) There are many very good juices around. The easiest way to find your vice when it comes to ejuice is order sampler packs from many different vendors or suppliers. Me personally I LOVE Boba's Bounty from AVE ejuice.com (VG), this is one of my all time favorites.VG=Vapor production and PG=TH. Most of the time,vendors that make their own ejuice, mix the two trying to find the perfect vape but not every vendor does this.

12)Clearomizers = The Starduct that I post for but this one in particular is a rebuildable Clearomizer.No cotton, just silica wick to bring the ejuice to the coil
Cartomizer/carto= A small tank with cotton stuffed in the tank that is soaked with ejuice factory or manually.
Atomizer/atty= No silica wick or cotton, instead it uses Stainless Steel mesh to wick the juice to the coil. Most of the time these are good for testing juice as they can only hold a few drops at a time(roughly 2-5 puffs)

16) If you were to get more then one stardust you could have more then one going around. You could just unscrew them from each individual battery. It is nice to have more than one battery though

That pretty much sums it up... Go with eGo batteries, they are going to be your best bet for this Price. Hope this helps;)

Last edited:

ZepHedEd

Jan 17, 2013
Denver
Hello and welcome to the forum. From what you answered I have a few more questions.

How much are you willing to spend on your next upgrade?

Are you interested in trying other tank types like carto tanks or rebuildables?

Hey Dana, thanks for the reply! I guess I would be willing to spend a fair amount for the "right" setup. Is $75 low? high? I don't have any real conception of how much different setups can run in terms of cost.

I did just get a T3 bottom coil that holds 2.4ml and I like it, especially the large tank size...very convenient. The airflow holes at the bottom seem a bit strange; I find myself covering them on purpose from time to time. As for carto tanks and rebuildables, I am all ears! What do you use?

Last edited:

ZepHedEd

Jan 17, 2013
Denver
Thanks for the great info Baditude! Didn't realize that some flavors caused problems with polycarbs. Do they vaporize differently/hotter or something?

I am using eGo batteries with four or five Ce4s that I keep filled with different flavors. Easy to swap out, seem to deliver good tasting vapor. I don't think the drip/atomizer thing is for me - sounds pretty time intensive as well as messy. I have a friend who vapes who is almost continuously taking the cartridge top off and putting more liquid in...doesn't seem to hold very much. I definitely don't want all that hassle. I did just get a bottom coil T3 that I like, primarily because it holds enough juice for a day, more or less. But the large tank on top of a sizable battery borders on being bulky, and since there is no effective carrying case for such a setup it is not convenient (to me at least) for being out and about. Perfect for home use but when I am hanging out with friends, going to movies, restaurants, etc it is bulky. So, I guess I wonder if there is a smaller, "active" size setup that still delivers good vapor and flavor without too much hassle?

No matter what, I have a lot to learn and I appreciate you and everyone else on this forum sharing information so freely!

ZepHedEd

Jan 17, 2013
Denver
Thank you for the info and post T41CK. I really appreciate the members on this forum being so helpful!

For starters welcome to the forum, glad you could make it. You have came to the right place to get your questions answered:).

3 & 5)It will be difficult to get you an upgrade that will last 10-12 hours that is no bigger than an eGo. The eGo twist is a great choice and it will not let you down. Thing is, it comes standard with a Variable Voltage that is adjusted with a potentiometer on the bottom of the device. They also make larger eGo batteries that are not the eGo Twist. There are plenty of good eGo devices out there;)

That is what I figured - that there might not be smaller profile batteries that last long enough. I like the eGo batts, I have two that I charge up each morning and they last an entire day. Probably need to get a few more. From reading some posts on the forum I think a lot of folks have multiples of everything :)

6) I think the best thing for you with minimal tinkering;) would be a Stardust V3, Stardust Clearomizer - Blue they also sell them in a series of different colors. The only problem is that they will need the heads changed on them max once a week to keep good flavor and clean ejuice. Don't worry the head are Quite easy to change. There are plenty of videos on showing you how if you do not know already. I literally takes 2 minutes to change these heads and fill back up with juice. Oh yeah you can find the heads in this same website here Stardust v3 Replacement Coils

Definitely like the Ce4s so far. I didn't realize they needed to be rebuilt so often; will say I have been using two different ones for a few weeks now and haven't noticed a degradation in flavor.

7 & 9) There are many very good juices around. The easiest way to find your vice when it comes to ejuice is order sampler packs from many different vendors or suppliers. Me personally I LOVE Boba's Bounty from AVE ejuice.com (VG), this is one of my all time favorites.VG=Vapor production and PG=TH. Most of the time,vendors that make their own ejuice, mix the two trying to find the perfect vape but not every vendor does this.

Thanks for the recco on the juice

12)Clearomizers = The Starduct that I post for but this one in particular is a rebuildable Clearomizer.No cotton, just silica wick to bring the ejuice to the coil
Cartomizer/carto= A small tank with cotton stuffed in the tank that is soaked with ejuice factory or manually.
Atomizer/atty= No silica wick or cotton, instead it uses Stainless Steel mesh to wick the juice to the coil. Most of the time these are good for testing juice as they can only hold a few drops at a time(roughly 2-5 puffs)

16) If you were to get more then one stardust you could have more then one going around. You could just unscrew them from each individual battery. It is nice to have more than one battery though

That pretty much sums it up... Go with eGo batteries, they are going to be your best bet for this Price. Hope this helps;)

Definitely helps, thanks again!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for the great info Baditude! Didn't realize that some flavors caused problems with polycarbs. Do they vaporize differently/hotter or something?

I am using eGo batteries with four or five Ce4s that I keep filled with different flavors. Easy to swap out, seem to deliver good tasting vapor. I don't think the drip/atomizer thing is for me - sounds pretty time intensive as well as messy. I have a friend who vapes who is almost continuously taking the cartridge top off and putting more liquid in...doesn't seem to hold very much. I definitely don't want all that hassle. I did just get a bottom coil T3 that I like, primarily because it holds enough juice for a day, more or less. But the large tank on top of a sizable battery borders on being bulky, and since there is no effective carrying case for such a setup it is not convenient (to me at least) for being out and about. Perfect for home use but when I am hanging out with friends, going to movies, restaurants, etc it is bulky. So, I guess I wonder if there is a smaller, "active" size setup that still delivers good vapor and flavor without too much hassle?

It is more of a chemical reaction between that plastic and certain flavors. It can cause the plastic to crack or actually melt. My first experience was putting some strawberry lemonade juice from Mrs. T's Bakery into a clearo, and not 5 minutes later it literally melted in my hands. Quite impressive. Now on to batteries or battery carriers:

If portability and size is an issue, say for instance when out and about with friends, there are some options available. I was researching stealth vape devices to take to a Muse concert next month and came up with the following:

eGoMini-clearomizer.jpg

The eGo mini batteries are available in a 350 and 450 mah (3.5 and 4.5 hours) size. Topped with a standard clearomizer it hides easily in a front shirt pocket or purse. They are around $10-12. Might be enough to enjoy a few hours out with your friends. Hits stronger than a cigalike could.

Gripper-by-Smoktech.jpg gripper-mod-smoktech-18350.jpg

The Smoktech Gripper uses a replaceable rechargeable battery (single 18350) and is only $12.50. A cartomizer of XL length fits inside the mod, so that only a drip tip extends from the mod. The fire button is located on top of the mod. http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1309

ovale v8.jpg V8 leather holder-lanyard.jpg

I just ordered an Ovale V8 this weekend to replace my Smoktech VV Gripper, which died an early death this weekend. It is variable voltage, a comfort gripped box mod for $30 w/o the batteries (2-18350 imr nipple tipped). I got the leather case/lanyard to hide the mod inside my shirt for indoor concerts. ($9) - Segelei V8 Incremental VV Body - Black Rubberized

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread