New User w/ New Equipment Harsh Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

profector

Verified Member
Hello all. I've been trolling here for a week or so trying to read up. I went to the closest gas station and bought a Blu disposable about a week ago. It seemed to work okay and had a okay taste to it. Today rather than go and by another one I went to the local cigarette shop and bought a e-go. Not sure what all the parts were called so there is a pic below. The lady there was very helpful and showed me most of the same stuff I read here. She filled it up for me using the USA BLEND I chose and sent me on my way. Now here's the problem, it taste really harsh. I don't know how else to explain it. It was similar to the first drag on the Blu. Like it caught me off guard. With the Blu though, after the first drag it was fine. The new stick I bought hasn't got much if any better and I've been smoking on it for about 8 hours now. Do you think it's the machine, the liquid, maybe i'm doing something wrong. I let it sit my mouth for a second or three then inhale. It doesn't irritate my lungs as much as it does my throat and then my mouth afterwards.

Another question, when you first started did smoking the e cig give you a craving for a cigarette? It seems like seconds after I start pulling on the ecig I want to smoke.

WP_20131008_002[1].jpg

Last edited:
Profector, welcome to ECF...

I can't give you any insight into your current set up, yet you will have tons coming your way very soon.

I can tell you that I craved a real cigarette for a while when I first started vaping. It get's easier and with all the wisdom the kids here at ECF have, you will be vaping extremely smooth and no longer be craving a traditional cigarette.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello and welcome ecf.

Congrats on making the switch. Ejuice can be the most difficult part to find to your liking of this new alternative to smoking. I would go back to your store and see if they have give away samples and/or a way for you to sample some more flavors. The battery part is fine. It is the ejuice and the topper you put on it that makes the most difference. Try to find something like a protank mini that has bottom coils. That is the easiest to learn and then you can experiment with others when you are ready. Make sure you increase your liquid intake as vaping will dry you out. Also talk to the sales person and tell them you need something not as harsh. Ejuice is made with pg/vg and a mix of the two usually gives a smoother vape. Pg can be harsh also.

Hope this helps.
Let us know.l
:)

profector

Verified Member
Also they didn't have a huge selection. There were just a few things to choose from, I got the best that had :(. They had a list of juices hand written and taped to the glass counter. I think they only kept a few in stock the rest were special order. I'm on the road all day tomorrow. Maybe I can find something while I'm travel to tied me over. Once I get back I'll start looking online for juices.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Did you buy extra liquid also? Look on the bottle and tell us what the % of nicotine is and what the pg/vg ratio is. It should be on the bottle. If you have high pg like 80% that could be part of the harshness you are tasting. Pg will give better flavor and better throat hit, but is harsher. Vg is vegetable glyercin and is sweeter, less throat hit and less harsh.

It is also possible that your new equipment was not washed before it was filled. If you have a bottle of liquid to refill, then I would dump what is left in your clearo and rinse it out under hot running water real good. Let it dry and then refill and see if it is harsh still. If it tastes the same, then I would take it all back to the store and talk to them about the pg/vg ratio, nicotine level, and maybe try some other flavors. See if they will let you taste the flavors so you can choose one you like. I would ask to use their restroom and rinse out my topper and have her fill it with your new juice. Make sure it tastes right before you leave the store.

You will be fine. Tobacco flavors do taste a lot different from a cigarette. Nothing is going to taste like smoking. The wanting a cigarette after vaping for 8 hours sounds like your nicotine level may not be high enough to curb those cravings. I had to go from 18mg nic to 24mg nic to stop my cravings. The lower level of nicotine was not enough, I felt like the cigarettes were chasing me.

You will get this. It is some trial and error in the beginning. Just keep coming back and asking questions. We are here to help.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Would the amount of nicotine make a difference? The bottle says 24mg on the side. The taste kinda reminds of a time my brother dared me to smoke a full pack of cigarettes at once.

Nicotine concentration affects the harshness or what we call the "throat hit." That said, if you're trying to quit smoking it's probably best to start at higher concentrations and then slowly dial it down by diluting it than it is to start low.

I think more importantly, though, you should keep in mind a couple of crucial differences between smoking and vaping:

1.) Cigarette smoke acts as a quasi anesthetic; it numbs you to the harshness of the smoke. At first, vaping can seem harsh by contrast, but you quickly get used to it. So if you're still in your first couple of days and feel the vapor's too harsh -- but that the juice's flavor is ok otherwise -- then don't give up on it just yet.

2.) Your body absorbs nicotine from vapor much much slower than it absorbs nicotine from cigarette smoke (like 30 minutes versus 30 seconds, IIRC). So if you're craving a cigarette when you fire up your vaporizer, you're not going to get the sense of instant satisfaction to which you've grown accustomed. And you generally require more puffs of a vaporizer to equal the same nicotine absorption that you'd get from a given number of puffs from a cigarette. Vaping is thus a far more proactive activity than smoking: it can easily replace cigarettes; if you get interested in experimenting with juice flavors the act of vaping can actually become far more enjoyable than the act of smoking, IMO -- but you have to vape fairly regularly to keep your nicotine levels up, keeping the cravings at bay before they arise rather than waiting until they arise and then responding to them.

wbart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Easton, MD, USA
You should lower your nicotine content, you can mix it with a bottle of 6 or 0 or whatever they have to dilute it. 24 mg is the equivalent of
unfilters.

There are some great online retailers and some great Brick and Mortar stores out there. If you want recommendations on anything just ask here we are very helpful

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Also they didn't have a huge selection. There were just a few things to choose from, I got the best that had :(. They had a list of juices hand written and taped to the glass counter. I think they only kept a few in stock the rest were special order. I'm on the road all day tomorrow. Maybe I can find something while I'm travel to tied me over. Once I get back I'll start looking online for juices.

24mg/ml is considered high nic. Look for 18 or maybe 12 depending on what your cigs were. If you smoked a light cig, you may want to try 12mg. Reg smokes are usually 18mg. The object is to replace the nic so you won't have nic cravings. Some members usually have like one juice a little higher in nic to help get thru those cravings and then once passed go back to the lower one. You will know if you over do it, you will get a sick feeling and maybe a headache. If that happens put it down. I find if I eat something it helps. Can't stress enough the importance of keeping hydrated. Drink, drink, drink.

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Welcome to ECF profector!!

Yeah, it's the juice. Your set up is fine, though the voltage is set so you can't even change it to make the liquid less harsh.
First, now much did you smoke? 24mg is high. 18mg is supposed to be like light cigarettes and 12mg is ulta-light. Not that this will make a difference in harshness.
Second, there's PG/VG ratios. More PG gives more throat hit and harshness. More VG gives clouds of vapor. Might try something at 50/50 to start with.
Third, you'll find more choices online and there are a lot of reputable vendors here on ECF. That is after you get at least one bottle to use while waiting.
Fourth, you will need at least another set up as a back up. Never know when one is going to break or need to be charged.

Welcome,

24mg nic might be right for you depending on how much you smoked, but it is high. I smoked a little less than 1 pack a day and I started at 18mg and now I alternate between 18mg and 12mg. To me, the higher nic levels are more harsh. There are different things you can do to counter this that include how you vape, what kind of tank/cart you are vaping with ect. There is a good "how to vape" post in here somewhere that might be very helpful. If i could find it I would link it.

been vaping for a short time myself (little over a week). Keep at it. You WILL find the right thing.

bd

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Sounds like the nic is too high. The hardest problem I found when going to ecigs was the juice. It will take you awhile to figure out what pg/vg % works for you and the flavors you like the best-expect to try quite a few. In the beginning I actually had a real cig when I got frustrated but kept on vaping. I had to go diy on my juices cause I just wasn't happy with the one's available at the time or the expense. If there is a vape shop near you where you can try before you buy that is the best option. Nowadays there are stores popping up all over and some make much better juices.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Oh and it has a slight sweet aftertaste. I didn't get any other flavors. I have a few hours in the morning before I have to hit the road if I have time I'll run back by the shop and see about getting a new flavor with a lower nic level and a new tank to put it in.

You can look here and see if there are any other stores near you or close to where you are traveling.

Electric Cigarette | Eliquid | Supplies | Electronic Cigarette | Ejuice | Vapor Search USA

Click on your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread