Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So I’ve got this old 26650 mod and I bought a new battery for it but it won’t fit. It’s ever so slightly too large. this thing:

Was the top selling 26650 on liion wholesale
AABC2C4E-880E-4C9E-8259-34B153E20F98.jpeg
anyway, I’m hosed. Pulled off various packaging to make it fit and it still won’t so I own it now even though it’s useless. What battery SHOULD I be buying? It’s clearly not this one.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't know that mod, but the battery likely wouldn't work even if it fit. That's an LiFePO4 chemistry battery! The clue on it is the "3.2V" rating on the label. Very few devices will be happy with LiFePO4 chemistry cells due to their lower voltage, and unless you've got a charger that's got an appropriate setting for LiFePO4, you're gonna have a bad time there too.

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...600mah-battery-genuine?variant=28408763088990
Important: These are 3.2V LifePO4 batteries which are different than normal lithium ion chemistry. They must be charged to 3.6V and not 4.2V. Only use if you understand this difference.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I would highly recommend doing some battery research. These batteries are essentially contained bombs if you're not knowledgeable about their purpose or what they can be used in.
    Pulled off various packaging to make it fit
    This is not what I like to read. I'm unsure about LiPo batteries, but the wrappers on Lithium Ions are vital for the safety of the battery. The wrappers should never be removed for any other purpose than to put a new battery wrap on it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I don't know that mod, but the battery likely wouldn't work even if it fit. That's an LiFePO4 chemistry battery! The clue on it is the "3.2V" rating on the label. Very few devices will be happy with LiFePO4 chemistry cells due to their lower voltage, and unless you've got a charger that's got an appropriate setting for LiFePO4, you're gonna have a bad time there too.

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...600mah-battery-genuine?variant=28408763088990

No issues with the charger. It does more or less auto everything iirc. The mod won’t like it though. Good catch. I guess I’m lucky it didn’t fit. Argh. Kinda surprised about the mod. It was the first ageis. I thought there were a ton of those around at one point. Order something else I guess. Says 26650 though. Should have fit. Now I’m worried that I can’t get a battery to fit the mod.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I would highly recommend doing some battery research. These batteries are essentially contained bombs if you're not knowledgeable about their purpose or what they can be used in.

This is not what I like to read. I'm unsure about LiPo batteries, but the wrappers on Lithium Ions are vital for the safety of the battery. The wrappers should never be removed for any other purpose than to put a new battery wrap on it.
    I didn’t want to remove the last wrapper. You can see it still on in the photo. It was a clear shrink over the regular wrap and a paper “veracity” sticker. Enough to make it unreturnable though. It was the veracity sticker that did it I think. The top heat shrink covered the connectors. The last layer of heat shrink is part of the battery though I didn’t want to pull that.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I didn’t want to remove the last wrapper. You can see it still on in the photo. It was a clear shrink over the regular wrap and a paper “veracity” sticker. Enough to make it unreturnable though. It was the veracity sticker that did it I think. The top heat shrink covered the connectors. The last layer of heat shrink is part of the battery though I didn’t want to pull that.

Wow, blast from the past! It's good knowing you are still around..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I think I see the problem. The one I thought I was buying is out of stock. The yellow one is the only one in stock. Here’s hoping it even fits

They should fit. The red vapcell LiFePo battery you bought is 0.5mm wider than the purple or gold Li-Ions you should have bought.

26650 is a rough size gauge. Some bats are fatter/longer than what their size # indicates. It happens but we're only talking a couple tenths of a millimeter usually, not a whole half a millimeter.

Liionwholesale isn't the only game in town that's reputable. Check these other places if you really want the purple Vapcell.

18650batterystore.com
    imrbatteries.com
    illumn.com

I use the HohmTech HΩ Grown 26650 in my Pico Mega. I like it. I'm not a high wattage vaper but it suits me fine so if you can't find the vapcell purple, maybe look into that HohmTech HΩ Grown. Been using mine at about 25W for over a year now and it's just fine. Got mine on super clearance with the older wrap so they weren't even fresh, but they do the job for me.

No issues with the charger. It does more or less auto everything iirc.

Yeah, but does it accommodate LiFePo? If not, it will likely charge it too high. Gotta watch that. Gotta be sure. Not all chargers are designed to charge all chemistries out there, including ones that auto-detect the chemistry of the batts. You still have to know what and what not to put in it. Never put blind faith in these chargers. I'd put more faith in a $60 mod than a $60 charger lol.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    No issues with the charger. It does more or less auto everything iirc.
    What kind of charger? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be rather difficult for a charger to automatically differentiate between a standard Li-ion that can take 4.2V and a LiFePO4 battery that can only take 3.6V.

I have some that correctly handle both, but the have to be switched manually.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    What kind of charger? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be rather difficult for a charger to automatically differentiate between a standard Li-ion that can take 4.2V and a LiFePO4 battery that can only take 3.6V.

I have some that correctly handle both, but the have to be switched manually.
    Xtar dragon something-or-other

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Xtar dragon something-or-other

If you mean the Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus then, as far as I can tell, it doesn't do 3.2v LiFePO4.
    • 3.6v/3.7v Li-Ion
    • 1.2v Ni-MH & Ni-CD batts and
    • 11.1V battery packs (plug into back of unit)

This is what I'm seeing, anyhow.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016

LiFePO is actually the safest chemistry when it comes to LiIon cells. Thermal runaway or explosion is very unlikely to happen even when short-circuiting them.
    As far as I know you need to heat the cell externally to about 500°F to release the oxygen inside the cells which then could possibly start a thermal runaway event.
    The compounds inside the cell itself are too inert to start this reaction on their own.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    If you mean the Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus then, as far as I can tell, it doesn't do 3.2v LiFePO4.
    • 3.6v/3.7v Li-Ion
    • 1.2v Ni-MH & Ni-CD batts and
    • 11.1V battery packs (plug into back of unit)

This is what I'm seeing, anyhow.
    Gah. So I also probably killed the thing. Well it doesn’t fit in anything so it won’t get used, but it didn’t blow up, One more for the dead battery box.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    LiFePO is actually the safest chemistry when it comes to LiIon cells.
    LiFePO4 is indeed considerably less "volatile" than the standard Li-ion cells that we use almost exclusively. They also tend to have longer cycle lives and are less expensive to product (no expensive cobalt in them). The downside is that they have considerably lower energy density; lower watt-hours per unit of mass or unit of volume, hence they are not very popular in portable applications where weight and size matters.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Their lower overall mah and Wh don't matter that much in a stacked/series mech though, because LiFePO's lower but almost constant voltage output can be quite a boon. Even more so when the cells have a 30A CDR.
    With the right build you might even get up to double the vape time compared to standard LiIon cells coupled with a standard series coil build.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Their lower overall mah and Wh don't matter that much in a stacked/series mech though, because LiFePO's lower but almost constant voltage output can be quite a boon. Even more so when the cells have a 30A CDR.
    With the right build you might even get up to double the vape time compared to standard LiIon cells coupled with a standard series coil build.
    Plausible in a series-stack mech, but that's not exactly a mainstream way of vaping. As some who's been using (single cell) mech squonkers exclusively for over five years now, I'm well aware that I'm really only using about half the capacity of my battery before I want a fresh one. I actually have some of these that I've been meaning to try, but I've never taken the time to develop a suitable build for them.

Now let's be real here. The vast majority of vapers use regulated mods that can extract most of the mAh/Wh available from standard Li-ion chemistry cells without the voltage drop as their SoC decreases being a factor, and those folks would get much less run-time from LiFePO4 cells.

• Agree
    Reactions: Oregon Linda

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Plausible in a series-stack mech, but that's not exactly a mainstream way of vaping. As some who's been using (single cell) mech squonkers exclusively for over five years now, I'm well aware that I'm really only using about half the capacity of my battery before I want a fresh one. I actually have some of these that I've been meaning to try, but I've never taken the time to develop a suitable build for them.

Now let's be real here. The vast majority of vapers use regulated mods that can extract most of the mAh/Wh available from standard Li-ion chemistry cells without the voltage drop as their SoC decreases being a factor, and those folks would get much less run-time from LiFePO4 cells.
    I take it they redid mechs then to allow for the issues of newer style batteries? I’ve got one single mech but I don’t dare put batteries in it because it was designed for a battery chemistry that no longer exists. Makes me wonder if maybe putting a couple of 18325 LIFPO4s in it might be OK. Sounds Chancey though. Maybe not a good idea. Right now it’s sort of a wall hanger like an old civil war musket or something.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    @Rossum
    Sure. LiFePo isn't the holy grail of vaping batteries. But still LiFePo has a bunch of advantages up its sleeve.
    Btw, even standard regulated devices use only near half of their capacity considering that the cut off is at roughly 3.4V.
    But you're right, as long as there are no devices that can make proper use of LiFePo cells, that chemistry is just a niche product.

@bombastinator
    Mechs are not designed for specific battery chemistries.
    Just make sure to attach a suitable atty with a appropriate resistance depending on the CDR of the used cell.
    If the mech mod has a hybrid connection, make sure the 510 pin protrudes past the 510 threads. The more the better. And always use a proper rebuildable atty with a fixed solid 510.
    Stock coil and subohm tanks with floating 510 pins may short out.

Reactions: Rossum
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread