New Vaper New to Forum: Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup Folks

I have been smoking Cigars and tobacco Pipes for almost 2 years never smoked before that. I decided I would try vaping with Blu Cigs Premium 100 Starter Pack about a month ago. I love the flavor of the cartridges, but I have a number of issues listed below primarily to do with the experience based on the experience I got from my pipes and cigars.

• Battery Life: In comparison to cigars and pipes the battery life seems short to get a comfortable period of relaxing and thinking while I smoke. I like to chill out while I smoke and just relax.
  • Strength: After coming from cigars and pipes the Premium 100 High Strength seem to not be strong enough.
  • The Draw: These seem to start out with a nice draw but seem to become shallow fairly fast and the flavor seems to run out fast as well.
  • Vapor Leaks: Today for the first time I put in a new cartridge and took a drag and noticed that after releasing the e-cig would leak a little vapor from the cartridge

It seems I may need something stronger and maybe need to mod or get a box mod instead of this, but I am not sure. Can anyone who is a bit more informed and/or advanced offer any advice to help me; your help would be greatly appreciated. I really like vaping so far and do not want to go back to pipes and cigars.

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
First, welcome to ECF! This is definitely the place to find answers on anything vaping related, plus some other stuff you never knew you cared about....

I am not familiar with the Blu, but there is an entire section here dedicated to them. Once you get your five posts (to make sure you really do exist) you can post some questions on that section also. You will find that many here start the Blu or something similar then branch off into new territories with more adventurous equipment. Many of the issues you asked about are addressed with different equipment.

Which equipment should you get? That is totally up to you. If you are happy and satisfied with Blu, and can find answers to the questions you posed regarding them, then that is what suits you. Everyone has different tastes, different concerns, different "happy spots" with vaping. I sincerely hope that you are able to find yours.

I, too, was a cigar smoker before transitioning to vaping. I started with an Ego style battery, and EVOD tank and tobacco flavors. I have since moved toward more "advanced" equipment (and more expensive!) and moved into the world of flavor possibilities available to us!

Explore the possibilities discussed on ECF and see what interest you. If you have a B&M that you can visit that is often a good starting point to actually see and taste the equipment you read about here.

Again, welcome, and I hope that you can find some answers through the fine folks on ECF!

Thanks Lurch and Castle for the welcome. I Was just reading up on what Joe had provided and seems he may have hit exactly what I need with the setup he advised. I will need to buy it and see though, but what he has mentioned seems to cover the draw issue, vapor issue to provide more nicotine, flavor, and customization plus it seems better than this Blu I am smoking on right now. Maybe after trying that for a while I look into more expensive setups. I have enjoyed vaping so far just wanted more from it than what this Blu provides.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
Hi PrimeX,
When I first started vaping I was in a similar situation. I LOVED a good cigar... Don Pepin Cuban Cabinet or My Father, 5 Vegas Miami, Partagas Black Label, or one of my personal favorites, the A Fuente Hemmingway... I'd sit out back on the patio in the evening after work, after dinner was done and there was nothing left to do but relax and enjoy life... While I smoked them much less than the cigars, I also enjoyed a pipe every now and then. I'd fire up my Peterson with a bowl of North Woods, Dunhill Standard, English Oriental Supreme, etc... But oh boy... Give me a bowl of Frog Morton... Pretty much any of them, and I'd be in heaven! I also would occasionally fire a bowl of some various aromatics as well (in a different pipe of course!).

To be honest, when I first started vaping, it was almost a sort of novelty for me... When I ordered that first disposable pen I really don't think I even considered for a moment that I'd ever "switch" to vaping. I figured it would be something different and something I could use occasionally so I didn't get complaints of "cigar breath" or "stinky". LOL!

Now let me explain something... I started off with 12mg juices... For no other reason than it seemed to be the "middle" of the road. When I first started vaping I was vaping exactly the way I had been smoking my cigars and pipes... The way you're supposed to smoke a cigar... Draw in the "smoke", roll it around on your tongue a little, then blow it out through both your mouth and nose... Tasting it completely...

And I, like you, felt exactly the same way... It wasn't a replacement.... When I kicked back with a cigar, I felt relaxed... Sometimes, after a nic heavy cigar like a Tatuaje Havana IV I'd get up and feel it... Big time... I wasn't getting anything even close to that with the vape...

Here's the thing... I'm not sure if it's because of the way it combusts or other components in it, but cigars (and pipes) just seem to be able to deliver a decent flow of nic through your mouth and saliva... For me, pipes much less so than cigars, but then I think that also explains why many people inhale smoke from pipes versus cigars where unless you have a death wish, or are smoking cigars that really AREN'T cigars, you better not even think of inhaling... LOL

But that made me realize... All things are not created equal... I knew almost everyone out there vaping were cigarette converts and they were obviously inhaling... So I went that route... The first 2 or 3 hits off of 12mg juice slammed my head into the ground. I experienced a head rush like I hadn't felt since so long ago when I was a cigarette smoker... When I would go 12-15 hours without a cigarette, wake up first thing in the morning, walk outside and chain drag a cig in about 40 seconds flat...

Anyway, the point is... Coming from Cigars, I'm guessing you probably aren't inhaling the vapor? and if not, the truth is, unlike cigars and pipes, I don't think these things can actually "deliver" the nic without inhaling... Maybe it has something to do with the VG and/or PG coating your tongue and making it less absorptive or something... I don't know...

I can tell you this though... Now I vape every day... Quite a bit actually... A while back as I was laying down to go to bed I heard this constant whirring sound... After a bit it dawned on me what it was... It was the cigar oasis in my humidor... It had run bone dry... and I realized it had been like that for quite some time... Further, after thinking about it, I realized that it had been at least 3 months since I had touched a cigar... or a pipe for that matter.... and honestly I haven't since... And I have NO qualms about doing so... If I was hanging out with a buddy and they wanted to smoke one I'd have no problem firing one up... I don't "avoid" them because I want or wanted to "quit" or anything like that... The honest truth is, I don't touch them because I'd much rather vape!!! The flavors are just amazing in comparison... And I never have enjoyed or liked any of the "tobacco" flavored juices... To me they taste pretty bad... Which is saying something considering how much I loved a good cigar... I did try a latakia juice once... It did NOT taste like latakia... LMFAO.... Right now I've been switching off between "Moo Juice" which is a creamy/milky strawberry juice and "Ecto Cooler" which is basically Orange Hi-C with a touch of menthol... Back when I was a cigar smoker I would have laughed if you told me I'd enjoy flavors like this... but now the truth is, I love them...

So anyway... To your original point...

I tried a Blu once... I HATED it... I mean terrible nasty disgusting hated it... LOL... At the very least you should get yourself an Ego or something like that... The battery is going to last MUCH MUCH longer... Sitting outside for an evening will be no problem at all... If you REALLY want to do yourself a favor, get the iTaste MVP... It was the second mod I had, and I STILL have it and STILL use it a lot... I love that thing... And the battery is large and lasts a very long time... I've even used it to charge my cell phone in a pinch. Only once, but still it was nice to have! As for a tank, you can't go wrong with the Kanga tanks, a Protank is nice... Eventually you'll probably want to move into a rebuildable, but for now, just get something you can change the coils out in.

And with any luck, try to find a good local B&M... We have several around here that are basically vape lounges... You can go, sit, talk, relax, meet other vapers, try out pretty much any juice they sell for free, etc... Plus you can usually find plenty of knowledgeable people that can help you figure out exactly what you might not know you're looking for!

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your vaping experience... I hope you'll find it as enjoyable as I have and I expect a PM the day you realize you've completely neglected your humidor!!! :)

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Hi, I started out with blu as well. I couldn't get enough vapor, battery life was just awful and I couldn't get a throat hit.. once I got my mod it was like night and day. I was able to quit smoking, and stay quit!! I do recommend for your first mod the mvp2. It has variable volts and watts which you can adjust to each different juice flavor to really customize your vaping expirence and get the best flavor! It's battery is crazy long lasting and you can't loose getting the mvp2. It was my first mod as well. I used it until I started doing my own coil builds. Then I upgraded for a higher wattage capabilities. But for a beginner or for anyone that's not doing building it's a perfect device. You can't go wrong with the mvp2. Google it and see what you think. If you get this device I just know you will love it!! It will not disappoint.

TheChromeKamuro

Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
Sturgeon, MO USA
Hi, and welcome to the family. :)

Blu was my 'gateway vape' too. :laugh: I loved (still do) the Vivid Vanilla, and even though I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Menthol cig smoker, that Vanilla was what got me to quit with the analogs. The only Blu 'symptom' you didn't list was leaky cartos resulting is a lovely sip of nic juice. Bleh!! :facepalm: SO incredibly nasty. Plus I was paying $16 for a 5-pack of Vanilla locally, so I went whole hog and got my first eGo Twist with a couple of disposable tanks and a couple of Aspire Pyrex BDC tanks (I LOVE these). Within a couple of weeks I went from struggling and being way less than satisfied with that durned Blu to becoming a Vaper. You can still find both of these inexpensive items (at least until they yank all e-cig auctions :mad:) on Evil Bay. You could also check out my boyz in Topeka @ kanvape.com, and tell them Deb in CoMO sent you. Bren (the owner) will take good care of you, and get you on your way at a great price, 15% off all merch on your first order just for liking their Facebook page.

Best of luck with your new hobby! All the folks here are really awesome, and the most knowledgeable of any place on the Web.

p.s. It's my understanding that johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com are the manufacturers of the Blu flavors, so if there's a Blu flavor you'd like to retain, check 'em out. I'm going to order a couple of their samples (5ml only $3.95!) to see if that claim is true, because I still miss that Vivid Vanilla. :p

Hope to see ya around, PrimeX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread