Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
Hi Everyone!

i have been vaping now for a month and have gone without a single analog 3 weeks now! I wanted to thank everyone here as I've been lurking here for information since day 1, and the information and support have kept me from going back to nasty cigarettes.

I currently have a couple Vision Vivi Nova's with the Pyrex tanks, a Protank 2 and a Protank 3. I run everything with either a couple VV eGo's, an Innokin SVD, or a Chi You clone. I recently started rebuilding the Protank 2 using 30 gauge kanthal and organic cotton. My 1.5 ohm coil is working perfectly and outperforms all my other tanks so far!

My my question is can you recoil the Protank 3 atty with a single coil? I know I could try to build a dual coil, but I really don't want to have to do 10+ wraps per coil and do complicated stacking just to get it above 1.3 ohms so my SVD can fire it.

Thanks and vape on!!

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
You can rebuild protank 3 coils to use a single coil.

Your problem is that the cup which houses the coils is quite tall, so your going to need to fill the rest of the slit with filler so that it doesnt leak.

What I have done in the past for people is use a few strands of cotton yarn, or pieces of cotton ball to fill the bottom of the slit. Once you have it about the same size as a normal protank 2 coil, build the coil as normal and slot it on top of the filler.

To be honest, it really isnt that bad to rebuild them with dual coil. You just need to use 32 awg kanthal in order to avoid the many many wraps.

Build two coils, each of 9 wraps on a 1/16th inch drill bit. Make sure that they are opposite from each other. This will result in a 1.5 ohm coil.

'Opposite' is hard to explain in text. If you build the first, holding the initial lead and drill bit in your left hand, starting on the side of the bit facing you, you will end up with the coil such that the left hand lead is facing you, and the right hand lead is on the other side of the coil. When you build the second coil you need to do it opposite, so if you continue to use your left hand to hold the bit, you need to start with the wire on the other side of the bit, thus wrapping toward you.

By doing this you will end up with each of the four leads coming down their own corner of the stack. When placing the coils in the cup, use two drill bits. Slot one in, then add a layer of cotton on top of the slotted coil, then slot the second in.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
Thanks for the replies!

Nataani, I will try to build the first atty with single coil and the 2nd atty with dual coil after I order some 32ga kanthal :). You answered my concern because I was afraid of that extra space in the Protank 3 atty.

I'm pretty sure you're right, spitfirelance. The atty from the PT2 screws into the PT3, but after you fill it, it leaks for me. I've only tried it once, and ended up wiping up my table, eGo battery, and tank from the juice.,

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
I just wrapped my first Protank 2 coil a couple days ago.

I purchased 100 ft of 30ga kanthal from temco for $5.48 (no shipping costs) and a bag of organic cotton balls from Wegman's for $3-something.

I watched a few youtube videos on how to do it; used a 1.5 hex wrench (couldn't find my drill bits in the garage) to do 6 wraps, scissors, nail clippers, tweezers, and a BIC lighter. It took me all of 10 minutes from start to finish, test out the ohms on my SVD, and begin to use.

You'll be so surprised how much better your eliquid tastes with a cotton wick.

My next project is to get my PT3 and Vivi Novas on cotton wicks. Also, I did read that there was a chance that the silica wicks could leave shards in your lungs. My lungs are damaged enough with 21 years of smoking. I don't need to chance anymore harm to them!

Cloud79

Feb 9, 2014
Archer, Fl. USA
Cloud79, that is a very interesting way to wrap the dual coils. Is there a video out there on how to do it? I'm a visual learner and follow video instructions much better than text.

This is the only video I can find easily. Its not for a kanger coil, but it is exactly how it should be done inside a different housing. Search this guy on youtube, he does have many videos and you will find what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7o7RFoTtw0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread