jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
New Ways to Quit Smoking - MSN Health & Fitness

From China comes the Ruyan E-Cigarette, an electronic nicotine inhaler designed to mimic the smoking experience, complete with exhaled vapor. Nicotine vaporizing cartridges are snapped into the device, and are available in four different nicotine doses, from 0 mg to 16 mg. Ruyan also sells e-pipes and e-cigars.

Do these products work, or are they gimmicks?

Thomas Glynn, American Cancer Society director of cancer science and trends, says people are very curious about high-tech devices, but he’s concerned that there is no data yet to back up their use.

“I don’t see anything in [these newer approaches] that I’d say is a magic bullet,” he says. “Unfortunately, one real challenge we have in helping people to stop is getting them to accept that quitting is hard work.”

There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try high-tech methods and, if they don’t work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”

Glen Morgan, a clinical psychologist and program director at the tobacco Control Research Branch of the National Cancer Institute, concurs.

“If I’m not familiar with a product or heard of studies supporting its use, I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody any more than, say, chewing peach pits if you have cancer,” he says.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try high-tech methods and, if they don’t work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”
Thank goodness that risk doesn't exist with any other quit method. :rolleyes:

TheBandit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Well, it's actually just completely assinine to me. If anyone is marketing it as a cessation device then that is totally irrisponsible on their part. I don't know about most people, but I'm trying to make the switch because I believe it to be a less harmful alternative. If you so choose to try to use it to quit smoking, then so be it, but that's not what it's intended purpose is.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the growing trend, and a typical tactic for people with an underlying agenda that they aren't being honest about. It is an extremely weak argument to attack it for what it is, an alternative nicotine delivery device. I mean, how could it be worse than smoking cigarettes. So, paint it to be a cessation device, and attack it that way.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Actually, I do get where Glen's coming from. Seems quite rational to me, and we do see quite a lot of posters here saying things like "if e-cigs are banned it's back to the analogues for me" and such like.

There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try hypnosis and, if it doesn't work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”

There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try 'magic pills' like Zyban or Chantix, if they don't work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”

There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try prescription inhalers if recommended by their family doctor and, if they don't work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”

There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try flavored Nicorette gum and, if it doesn't work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
....There’s also a risk, Glynn says, that people will try 'magic pills' like Zyban or Chantix, if they don't work, “might throw their hands up and say, ‘I can’t stop.’ And we’ll lose an opportunity for someone who can quit.”...

Been there, done that, said that.

Mind you the 1 second drag on a 1/8 ciggie stub was pure heaven after 6 weeks on Zyban.

Vaping has reduced me to 1/3 to 1/2 of the real ciggies I used to smoke,
but it's not a smoking cessation device,
as said it's a nicotine delivery replacement mechanism.

And all power to it!

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
I now know what the problem is E-cig make it to easy to stop smoking analogs. Got to make it hard to quit analogs. Smokers should suffer more for their sins. he he

Glynn said we have to learn it is hard to quit analogs.

I never even intended to quit analogs, but vaping is so much more enjoyable that I seem to have given them up by accident. There should be a law against making it so easy.

Mike1218

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2009
Palatine IL
i will say it has been now just over 2 weeks and no real cigs and they say it doesn't help kiss my smooth ... come on i used to smoke three packs a day and then i restarted to 1.5 packs and then started E-Cigs and 2 weeks later i don't smoke come on it is the the ok i can't spell LOL the tabacco companies trying to stop the E-Cigs no one else has the money to stop them i say kick there ... :) and E-Cig you better kick there ... !!!!!!!!!!!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I tried just about everything to quit cigarettes over many decades. I've used all of Big Pharma's products, plus undergone hypnosis therapy and special injections into my head. Not to mention the killer Chantix routine I did for two months.

I've been free of cigs since July 17, 2007. I still use snus and still smoke a pipe, but I can say that the e-cig is the best device yet to use instead of smoking a real cigarette. Quit? Who said anything about quitting? I want to use the e-cig until the day I die.

The problem is: If it isn't for quitting, what's it for? The anti's just want us to quit. All approved NRT products are for short-term use to quit smoking. There is no non-tobacco, recreational nicotine device available except the e-cig. To allow or approve it is to set a precedent. That scares health authorities. Big Time.

But the bottom line is: An e-cig is an alternative to cigarettes so nicotine addicts can continue recreational use of a psychoactive drug. No escaping that. And I'm all for it. I'm cool with that fact. I'm an addict and I want my drug in a fashion healthier than sucking tobacco smoke into my lungs.

Now, let our e-cig makers go forth and get approvals for our recreational nic delivery devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread