Status
Not open for further replies.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Hi - there's a chance that I might be able to get to New York for a few days in October. Is it possible to vape there at all? If so, where? Do you get into trouble vaping in a hotel room or on the street? I've never been to the US and really don't want to either end up in jail or get shot. :)

I'd really appreciate any and all advice. Ta!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
No harm, your not even an American. Even most Americans don't know a state is attached to the city.

They have alot of goofy rules down there. I haven't been since I quit smoking.

I don't vape inside public places so I would have no worries. Outside I'm not sure. I don't think I'd worry about it but I prolly go off by myself. Which isn't easy to do with 8 million people around. In the immigrant areas I bet they don't hassle you much. On the fashionable Upper Eastside I can imagine somebody running there mouth. OTOH they may pull out a mod and chuck some cloudz with you bro!!!

With that many people your gonna run into every kind of people. In general I have found city people to be generally tolerant. Packed in that close they kinda have to be.

Reactions: e-pipeman

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Technically you aren't allowed to vape anywhere where smoking is not allowed in NYC i.e. bars, restaurants, pool halls, public parks and beaches etc... In reality though, it's not enforced in the parks and beaches. Some bars do not enforce the law and others do. You will not get shot if you disobey the law. They could write you a summons but i haven't heard of it happening yet. In fact a group of vapers wanted to test the law in the courts and organized a vapethon in front of the headquarters of NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation in Central Park last year, but try as they did the police refused to write them summonses.

P.S. I have to disagree with the poster above, Central Park is rife with activity in the summer and is a fantastic place for biking, rollerblading, running as well as pickup volleyball and soccer, decent zoo, paddle boats, free concerts and Shakespeare in the Park etc ... tens of thousands of people flock to the park on weekends.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Technically you aren't allowed to vape anywhere where smoking is not allowed in NYC i.e. bars, restaurants, pool halls, public parks and beaches etc... In reality though, it's not enforced in the parks and beaches. Some bars do not enforce the law and others do. You will not get shot if you disobey the law. They could write you a summons but i haven't heard of it happening yet. In fact a group of vapers wanted to test the law in the courts and organized a vapethon in front of the headquarters of NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation in Central Park last year, but try as they did the police refused to write them summonses.

P.S. I have to disagree with the poster above, Central Park is rife with activity in the summer and is a fantastic place for biking, rollerblading, running as well as pickup volleyball and soccer, decent zoo, paddle boats, free concerts and Shakespeare in the Park etc ... tens of thousands of people flock to the park on weekends.

I agree, I'm in Central Park 3-4 times a week...amazing place with a huge number things to do and beautiful places to walk. The Met Museum and Museum of Natural History+Planetarium are right there. And a sunset drink at the Boathouse Cafe can be the start of a very wonderful evening. :)

SleeZy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2014
    Sweden

I've no experience in NYC what so ever. But i gotta say this sounds just like in swe...
    Smoking in most public places is prohibited, but some bars does allow vaping as long as you ask before. Granted 99% of the swedes have no clue what vaping realy is apart from the bad stuff they hear at the news...

Anyhow my general rule is usualy; if it's not allowed to smoke neither would vaping be. (Yes yes i know it's not smoking and all that, but atleast around here 99% of the pop treats as it would be.) Which is a shame but well.... (Granted that our community is like 4-6k out of 9 milion, so it's a small thing around here.)

Sorry if i just went abit OT. :)

Edit: To actually stay on topic.
    Vaping in hotels is imo a no go! Unless you exhale in the sheets or something.
    Because their fire-alarms are super sensitive, so you could accidently set it off. And the fee you've to pay for a false alarm is not cheap. Atleast around here due it's directly linked to the fire-deparment.

But as long you make sure you won't set the alarm off, you should be okay. But just be mindful about it.

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    I was in NYC in May a year ago and vaped on the street, sidewalk and outside the hotel with no problem. Smoking and vaping are both prohibited in Times Square and other "squares," I believe, where there are large crowds of people.
    NYC passed a law (which only applies to NYC) last year which equates vaping to smoking, so wherever you cannot smoke, you cannot vape. However, vaping is still allowed inside vape stores/lounges. Even though outdoor pedestrian plazas like Times Square is smoke-free, I have seen plenty of people there smoking and vaping. There are just too many people in those areas for the police to stop it. If you're walking through, no one would probably stop you. If you're hanging out there and sitting down and vaping, a police officer may come up to you to remind you that you're not allowed to vape.

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    They tried to ban buying Big Gulp soft drinks in New York. Do you think there is any chance vaping in public spaces is legal?
    Actually the regulation from the health department would have banned selling soda and other sweet drinks in containers larger than 16 oz. Then a federal judge shot it down because the ban was outside the scope of the board of health. Grocery stores would have been exempt since they fell under state jurisdiction.

Reactions: e-pipeman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread