New York Call To Action: NY State Bills threaten consumer choice and subject e-cigarettes to tobacco taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
Once again, vapers in New York State are being threatened by multiple bills intended to severely impact the electronic cigarette industry and, by extension, dramatically limit consumer choice and increase the cost of these potentially life-saving products. Representatives Rosenthal and Dinowitz and Senator Rivera have introduced bills that would impose a punitive 75% wholesale tax on “e-cigarette cartridges” and completely ban the sale of refill liquids.

Assembly Bill 296 & Senate Bill 722 would redefine a taxed “tobacco product” to include “e-cigarette cartridges,” subjecting them to New York State’s 75% wholesale tax on “tobacco products.”

The keen observer may spot that AB 296 & SB 722 only apply to “e-cigarette cartridges” and not e-cigarette liquid. This is likely due to the introduction, yet again, of a bill (AB 635) to prohibit the sale of all bottled refill liquids. While there is an exemption provided for instate manufacturers that may allow liquid manufacturers in New York to continue doing business, vapers in New York State would still be unable to buy e-liquid products from retailers within the state. An almost identical bill made its way through an Assembly committee last year.

Please take action NOW to oppose these bills. - CASAA: New York Call To Action: NY State Bills threaten consumer choice and subject e-cigarettes to tobacco taxes

Surreal Vapist

Jan 11, 2015
Well it is NY state. Just look at their tobacco tax. It's over $10/pack! I'm sure they've lost quite a bit of tax revenue to vaping, which is why it would be really short-sighted to ban refillable liquid, which is the most preferred style of vaping. I know if I lived there and they banned liquid, I would never return to tobacco and continue to pay them money.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Would they also make liquds illegal to posess for personal use? I wonder if they realize how easy DIY liquid is to make. A decent sized bottle of 10% nic kept frozen will last for years and keep somebody vaping for years. How do they prove when you got your bottle? Or may be they're going to make nic a controlled substance without extending the same to nicotine in cigarettes, patches, gum etc.?

Probably no State government is more dependent on tobacco taxes than New York. If they can't force people to keep smoking the State will declare bankruptcy and that will lower the quality of NY bank loan portfolios and that will cause a global financial meltdown. Or something like that. So all you New Yorkers, stop vaping, go back to smoking. It's your patriotic duty! Cough cough...

Last edited:

The Dog Guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2015
New York
During budget proposal, NY Gov. Cuomo proposes to ban vaping everywhere smoking is banned
NY would snuff out e-cigarette use in restaurants, offices under Cuomo proposal | syracuse.com

This article doesn't mention that Coumo also proposed banning sales of flavored vapor products.
The whole thing is a farce! I quit analogs to QUIT ANALOGS, not so I could vape anywhere, but I still need to vape the nic if I want to stay off Cigs. So what, I have to go across the river To PA to buy juice and NYS gets deprived of the tax dollars I spend again?
Andrew ain't Mario...
I HATE NY

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
If they can't do it through the Legislature, they'll do it ala "Unsafe Act" ... without debate, behind closed doors, overnight, while everyone is sleeping.

"3 men in a room" - should be "3 men in a cell".

They just arrested one of them (Silver), two to go. That turncoat traitor Skelos is next. They can keep the cot warm for Coumo.

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
As of 2/15/15 ... from the NYS Assembly and Senate websites

"S00722 Actions:

BILL NO S00722

01/07/2015 REFERRED TO INVESTIGATIONS AND GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS

S00722 Votes:

There are no votes for this bill in this legislative session."

"A00296 Actions:

BILL NO A00296

01/07/2015 referred to ways and means

A00296 Votes:

There are no votes for this bill in this legislative session."

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
State cigarette taxes are paid at the wholesale level. That means they are paid regardless of whether the product sells. If the tax is comparable to cigarettes nobody is going to stock hundreds of tiny bottles of e liquid that might not sell. Would there be any provision for returning eliquids that don't sell? I bet a lot of eliquid is on consignment. How is the excise tax refunded? A high excise tax would simply close the speciality vape shops. People who collect taxes for a living know all this.

There is no way to control or tax e liquids the same as cigarettes. The only way to preserve cigarette taxes is to ban e-cigs. That won't be easy to do because there would also need to be a drug war but it looks like they are going to try.

Last edited:

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
Once again, vapers in New York State are being threatened by multiple bills intended to severely impact the electronic cigarette industry and, by extension, dramatically limit consumer choice and increase the cost of these potentially life-saving products. Representatives Rosenthal and Dinowitz and Senator Rivera have introduced bills that would impose a punitive 75% wholesale tax on “e-cigarette cartridges” and completely ban the sale of refill liquids.

Assembly Bill 296 & Senate Bill 722 would redefine a taxed “tobacco product” to include “e-cigarette cartridges,” subjecting them to New York State’s 75% wholesale tax on “tobacco products.”

The keen observer may spot that AB 296 & SB 722 only apply to “e-cigarette cartridges” and not e-cigarette liquid. This is likely due to the introduction, yet again, of a bill (AB 635) to prohibit the sale of all bottled refill liquids. While there is an exemption provided for instate manufacturers that may allow liquid manufacturers in New York to continue doing business, vapers in New York State would still be unable to buy e-liquid products from retailers within the state. An almost identical bill made its way through an Assembly committee last year.

Please take action NOW to oppose these bills. - CASAA: New York Call To Action: NY State Bills threaten consumer choice and subject e-cigarettes to tobacco taxes

I'll avoid the obvious reasons this is wrong, because we all know those reasons. Instead, I'll just leave this brief story: I brought my car in for an inspection a couple days ago in my new state of VA. I reset the engine light that the shop couldn't specifically diagnose several months ago. I told the owner I'd appreciate it if he didn't inspect the car if the light came on. He told me it didn't matter if a light was on for a VA inspection and we got to talking about my home state of NY, why I left, yadda yadda. He then asked me if there was anything I missed, looking me straight in the eyes and looking genuinely concerned. "I love the state, hate the politics" is how I responded. There was really no point in not generalizing my statement; I'd be explaining all day if I didn't. He laughed under his breath, took on a slightly remorsed demeanor and I left shortly there after.

This man understood my generalized statement exactly. I left most of my life in NY: my friends, my family, the sites I grew up knowing, the people, etc. It's politics like the one shown in this thread that is tearing people in this country apart. I almost saw a woman break down into tears today at work because of how crazy our world has become. The issue is larger, but I beg all of you to fight tooth and nail at things like this right now. It will only get harder the more ground we give them.

Sorry, long rant is long.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
Please note that New York's legislature has adjourned without passing a vaping ban, a vapor product tax, or banning e-liquid.
Assembly Passes Big Ugly, Legislature Adjourns

Congrats to vapers and vape shops in NY.

Ok, I guess I should have read ALL the replies in this thread before replying myself. Don't I feel like a dumby, lol. Great news to hear coming from the state most dear to me! Stellar job guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread