New York just banned flavored e-cigs, starting immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
The vote by the state Public Health and Health Planning Council means the ban, which covers all flavored cigarettes and other vaping products except for menthol and tobacco flavors, goes into effect immediately. Retailers will have two weeks to remove merchandise from store shelves.

New York Bans Sale of Flavored E-cigarettes, the First State in the U.S. to Do So

Menthol and tobacco only? Sorry, I don't like those flavors.:mad:

Is this the end for the majority of vape shops? Who's going to bother to have a vape shop where you can only offer 2 silly flavors?

I have an ejuice delivery which I ordered online coming in a few days containing a whole bunch of desert type e juices, which is what I prefer. I'll be good until the end of the year with that shipment.

Illegal or not, I will continue to vape whatever I please. Politicians and their laws will have no effect on my vaping habits.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
So is it a ban on selling flavor juices or are they going to try to enforce not allowing citizens to vape flavors?

I foresee a lot of vape shops relocating to the surrounding borders of NY state.

I haven't seen any details yet, so I guess we'll find out soon enough exactly what this ban entails and how they plan on enforcing it.

New York is a sanctuary city, you don't even have to be legal here. The city will protect you.

However, it is certainly not a sanctuary for any vapers. Those vapers are bad people.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
So is it a ban on selling flavor juices or are they going to try to enforce not allowing citizens to vape flavors?

I foresee a lot of vape shops relocating to the surrounding borders of NY state.
Hah, if it's the latter, the local cops up here are going to be like, "Uh, sorry, I've got serial jaywalkers to deal with."

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I haven't seen any details yet, so I guess we'll find out soon enough exactly what this ban entails and how they plan on enforcing it.

New York is a sanctuary city, you don't even have to be legal here. The city will protect you.

However, it is certainly not a sanctuary for any vapers. Those vapers are bad people.

The whole state of California is a sanctuary as well. And sadly might soon join NY with a flavor ban...

• Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
They also banned chocolate milk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then they'll be raiding my home soon. I make the best chocolate milk in the world.

In all seriousness I think this just applies to retail and online shipments. It's total nonsense. I'm going to hop over to a local vape shop soon to chat with them. I'm guessing they'll be closing the shop soon...

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I didn't see anything about online sales.

Idiots. So, teens are vaping for the nic, not for flavor. Wouldn't it make sense to force Juul (and others) to conform to the standard of labeling nic content? Not 5%, but 50mg/ml.
I might get roasted for this, but I don't think any vape should be over 32mg/ml.
A neighbor's kid says "Oh, it's 5 nic, just like yours." I said, "Son, Juul is 5% nic by volume. That's 50mg per ml, while mine is 5mg per ml. Ten times the nic."
His dad confiscated his juul, and got him a more traditional system where he can vape juice with his choice of nic.
That is the greatest benefit of vaping, having full control of your nic intake/addiction. And Juul takes this control away.

Today, I'm not proud of my state.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The NY vape shops have nothing to lose now by going to court and asking for an injunction to delay this. My view is they should have a strong case in their favor. I've seen what seem to be well informed statistics about vapers state by state. For instance Michigan may have 420,000 vapers. That's more than enough to make Witmar a one term governor. There are states that Trump must win, where he won by a narrow margin and the numbers of vapers are more than enough to cost him the 2020 election.

Government has been abusing and disrespecting smokers for decades. The smokers hung their heads in shame and let it happen. We know that because I'm talking about us. I believe the politicians thought vapers would be just as easy to mistreat. So far it appears we are responding very differently as vapers than we did as smokers. We have the moral high ground. I say give them a run for their money and if we don't succeed we vote them out of office.

Last edited:

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I'm not in NY, and terrible what is going on with vaping, but this is even worse for the vape shops, I read they have 2 weeks to get rid of flavors, but they are not allowed to sell them though, so all these vape shops just meant to throw it all in the trash, most of us vapors will work something out, but most of these vape shops are not only going to close, but be in a lot of debt too, I cannot believe the US is going to be a country that pretty much bans vaping, so sad.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    With the PMTA deadline less that eight months away now, I do not foresee a whole lot of vape shops going to the expense, and making the commercial lease commitment that would be necessary to relocate.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    The vote by the state Public Health and Health Planning Council means the ban, which covers all flavored cigarettes and other vaping products except for menthol and tobacco flavors, goes into effect immediately. Retailers will have two weeks to remove merchandise from store shelves.

New York Bans Sale of Flavored E-cigarettes, the First State in the U.S. to Do So

Is this the end for the majority of vape shops? Who's going to bother to have a vape shop where you can only offer 2 silly flavors?

I have an ejuice delivery which I ordered online coming in a few days containing a whole bunch of desert type e juices, which is what I prefer. I'll be good until the end of the year with that shipment.

Illegal or not, I will continue to vape whatever I please. Politicians and their laws will have no effect on my vaping habits.

Very Sorry to Hear this IgnorantCig.

For You, for All NY Vaper's, and for the Hundreds of Business that will go Under because of this.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    With the PMTA deadline less that eight months away now, I do not foresee a whole lot of vape shops going to the expense, and making the commercial lease commitment that would be necessary to relocate.
    Tobacco stores now...pretty much only sell "tobacco flavored" tobacco.

I mean, vape shops sell hardware AND juice. And they know more about hardware, coils, batteries, devices than tobacco shops.

The death knell will be from the certification/regulation side in May as you say, IMHO. The flavor-ban is only part of it. Hell, right now, my local vape shop has limited flavors ostensibly due to "FDA rules" already. And ironically, they don't sell unflavored. They used to custom-make juice.

Sigh.

Wall. Writing. Done.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    I'm not in NY, and terrible what is going on with vaping, but this is even worse for the vape shops, I read they have 2 weeks to get rid of flavors, but they are not allowed to sell them though, so all these vape shops just meant to throw it all in the trash, most of us vapors will work something out, but most of these vape shops are not only going to close, but be in a lot of debt too, I cannot believe the US is going to be a country that pretty much bans vaping, so sad.
    I admit that "Please 'trash' $50,000.00 worth of inventory immediately" is a hell of a business killer. (swag numbers)

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA

A friend of mine who manages a vape shop in Ohio said this today regarding flavor bans:

"In the event of flavor bans, we are ready, having already secured deals with juice manufacturers for flavor shots.
    Prices might actually go down because we will buy high quality VG/PG in bulk, mix it to the proper ratio and then bottle it. Customers would add the flavor shot from the liquid manufacturer, add the nic and they now have their favorite liquid again. 100% legal.
    Our owner is a founding member of SFATA and the VTA and is actually in D.C. right now for a national conference. In the past two days, they have secured agreements with 6 major manufacturers, bringing them on board for a total of 11 so far.
    We've been told not to release the names of the companies yet- understandable.
    Smaller manufacturers that can't adapt will suffer unless we can figure out a way to save them, perhaps a co-op facility for flavor shot production...
    The industry will change, no doubt, but we're fighting and don't plan on going anywhere."

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    EEtZ85TXsAAt1Oj.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread