Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Do Less Harm: E-Cigarettes a Safer Option Than Smoking

"E-cigarettes fall into a 'sweet spot' of high appeal and satisfaction, but low harm, making them a promising tool for smoking cessation or switching for smokers who want to use nicotine but want to safely avoid deadly smoke."

Discuss!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Not much to discuss. Just another reasoned and objectively evaluated study. It’s not the science that’s in doubt, it’s the idiots who won’t read anything that doesn’t agree with their own “the earth is flat and the sun circles the earth” crowd that’s the problem.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Discuss? Well, it was a nicely written article and while I do agree with Eskie that the main problem is lack of willingness to take note of such studies, even the most stubborn lemmings may eventually give up the fight and hurl themselves off the "harm reduction" cliff (finding it a shorter journey than they thought) so in my eyes, for some people, it takes reading something fifty times for it to sink in (I do not exempt myself from this process at times).

So, as far as I'm concerned, the more studies/articles like this, the better. If someone wants to bury their head in the sand and ignore science because they have a "movement" I say let them stay with the giant sand spiders and hopefully have their "movement" far, far away from me....

It was a very nicely written article and hard to refute, if read. With that said, I do also think the rabid anti-movement will often read these articles with the SOLE purpose of finding a way to discredit/distort them, and that lot are NOT stupid, but they are evil.

If only life were more fact based, not so much emotion based.... You may never convince some people whose loved ones may have died of tobacco related illnesses that anything with the word "cigarette" even if prefaced by "E" will be anything other than Satan Personified.

(I actually can't believe that I just typed the above, LOL, for one, I like emotions, and for two, I do have some sympathy for those folks but they need to grow up and accept that Life Hurts.)

Anna

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Nice find. As mentioned, the biggest thing to discuss is how to get people to read it!

“The safest course is to stop smoking or, better, never to start. But a harm minimization approach recognizes that demanding absolute perfection is often counterproductive and that, when a harmful behavior cannot be eliminated, we can still dramatically reduce adverse health consequences.”

Emphasis mine. Prohibition didn't work in the US, for alcohol. Yet they think it will work for nicotine??

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The ones related to me won't, but they already are in total agreement that vaping is harm reduction, LOL. That bridge was crossed long ago.

I think it's a nice article to bring to doctors who may be anti-vape and perhaps hesitant significant others, who do happen along from time to time (not the SO's, more the new vapers whose SOs may not be convinced yet) as it's an easy but informative read. I added it to my "vaping is not Satan" stash that I've developed. Although I will say, probably most people I run into aren't going to "act" hesitant around me about it (apart from my ENT, I kind of felt like we were in a Mexican standoff or something, even as the only two persons in the room).

He neatly avoided my "But vaping is safer," deal by flatly repeating "You need to vastly reduce your cigarettes." So, I took him at his word :lol::lol: and vaped to 0.

It is a bit like "climate change" though, if you gather enough studies and blindly repeat them over and over, it sort of turns into gospel. As a "climate change skeptic" I don't even BOTHER anymore, just nod my head robotically.... It would be nice if eventually enough positive articles came out, even the nay-sayers just can't/don't bother, so it's still a nice step in the right direction if you ask me.

Also, we are *complaining* about positive vaping articles now, come on now.... :)

Anna

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Prohibition doesn't work period.

That's not true. During the turn of the previous century, my great great grandfather jumped on the patent medicine band wagon with a energy infused steak flavored soda. It was awful. I mean really awful. He couldn't sell a single bottle of it. So grandpa got his buddies to tell the local pastors that the kids were getting drunk and wasted on it and something needed to be done. They complained, pretty soon the town prohibited it, which made the kids go out in droves and buy it bootleg! They stole their parents money, committed robberies, and did whatever they had to to buy Sizzle Steak Soda. Grandpa made 5 million dollars before shutting it down. Sadly. in the process he financially destroyed the city of Gary Indiana. If you've been to Gary Indiana, you know what my grandpa destroyed stays destroyed. To this day it remains an apocalyptic wasteland. It's ok though, he moved the family to Chicago and opened a Coke bottling plant.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That's not true. During the turn of the previous century, my great great grandfather jumped on the patent medicine band wagon with a energy infused steak flavored soda. It was awful. I mean really awful. He couldn't sell a single bottle of it. So grandpa got his buddies to tell the local pastors that the kids were getting drunk and wasted on it and something needed to be done. They complained, pretty soon the town prohibited it, which made the kids go out in droves and buy it bootleg! They stole their parents money, committed robberies, and did whatever they had to to buy Sizzle Steak Soda. Grandpa made 5 million dollars before shutting it down. Sadly. in the process he financially destroyed the city of Gary Indiana. If you've been to Gary Indiana, you know what my grandpa destroyed stays destroyed. To this day it remains an apocalyptic wasteland. It's ok though, he moved the family to Chicago and opened a Coke bottling plant.
I stand corrected.

Reactions: HauntedMyst

miteret

Verified Member
Mar 2, 2016
S.L.C., UTAH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread