Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
To the residents of New York.

have any of you been close to your hospitals and seen this pandemic in effect?

A friend of mine often cycles by two hospitals in London. Little emergency, no vehicles. What looks like relatively quiet hospitals considering how bad this all is.
When I pass the hospital local to me it’s eerily quiet as well...

considering we have a full flung emergency looks pretty placid about, no action
I don’t think I’ve seen an ambulance on the road since all this started o_O
I live next to a care home and that is full yet surprisingly quiet.
I personally have heard of one person dying who was 90 years (plus) old

I saw some terrible scenes of refrigeration trucks outside NY hospitals
Have any New Yorkers witnessed what I am told?

anybody been to ER or unrelated medical emergency and seen first hand?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, it’s all true. Ambulances backed up without enough room to offload people. ERs overflowing with folks on gurneys lining hallways for days. Multiple people on ventilators in the ER when they need to be in an ICU bed.

The city morgue is full. Refrigerated shipping containers are set up behind the medical Examiners building in the same space they used on 9/11. Now hospitals have them too as it’s too full to move them to the Medical Examiners They have had to build triple stacks like bunks to increase capacity per container to around 110. And it’s not just hospitals where deaths are occurring. On average, there are 25 cardiac arrests that don't make it per day in the city. For the last 4 weeks it’s been 200. The assumption is a good number of those are COVID related deaths, but they don’t test people after they die.

The crematoria in the city are around 2 and a 1/2 weeks behind running full out. In normal circumstances the medical examiner will hold onto a deceased person for 30 to 60 days trying to find family to claim the body. After that, there’s a potter’s field on an island off of the Bronx called Hart’s Island. They normally have burials once a week. Now it’s up to five days a week in double wide trenches that are then covered over. Those are bodies not claimed by family within 15 days. They may well have families but there aren’t resources to keep them past that time.

In the hospitals there is still a major shortage of protective gear. Doctors, nurses, and other staff are becoming ill, some critically on ventilators themselves, and some of those are dying. There have been enough ventilators with some juggling of equipment, but almost all are in use.

Testing remains a problem. If you’re not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital you may not be able to be tested at all, even with the classic symptoms present. They don’t get counted into the case numbers yet, although nursing home cases are now being counted. Estimates are now that every nursing home in NYC have several if not more cases.

Deaths are occurring in the elderly, but there are a good 20% of deaths among under 40 years old. My daughter had a friend she graduated with this past February, around the same age of 25, no known health problems who died. One of her best friend’s father was intubated today. It’s doubtful he will survive the next two days. Her friend, his son, cannot visit as there are not allowing visitors in at all.

I live near 3 hospitals that are caring for many cases as designated to be primary viral illness centers. There was an average of one ambulance siren every 30 minutes or so day and night. They run with lights and sirens just to speed things up for a faster turnaround to go back to work. In the last week it has lightened up to maybe every 30-45 minutes which is an improvement. I live in an independent assisted living facility. About 20 out of 200 are in the hospital with COVID. A friend of mine here died about 10 days ago in the hospital. The owner of a minimart a block away I used to go for small stuff died 3 weeks ago. It’s still closed.

So yes, things in NYC are really that bad. The rest of the country is certainly less than what’s happening here, but there are major cities where it seems to just beginning to pick up. There are also states that are not heavily infected that hopefully will be spared. It’s the extremely high density of NYC that’s been the perfect place for such a major outbreak. Hopefully by May 15th the shelter in place orders will begin to roll back, but I expect it will depend on how things look the beginning of May. There is now an order no one can go out without a mask of some sort, mostly homemade because good luck finding proper masks, if you’ll be somewhere you can’t maintain distance from others, and a requirement on mass transit, taxis and Uber.

There is a fairly large pharmacy chain, Walgreens, by me. They only allow 5 people in the store at one time. You line up outside with markers six feet apart to stand on. The other day it took me 30 minutes to get in. The time before took me an hour. And of course I just had to forget one or two things I wanted to buy. I’ll wait a while before I make another trip.

I’m sorry to paint such a terrible picture of life here, but in time I expect we’ll start to recover. But yeah, the news media isn’t making it up or sensationalizing the situation. It’s legit, and it’s just one day after another.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Yeah, it’s all true. Ambulances backed up without enough room to offload people. ERs overflowing with folks on gurneys lining hallways for days. Multiple people on ventilators in the ER when they need to be in an ICU bed.

The city morgue is full. Refrigerated shipping containers are set up behind the medical Examiners building in the same space they used on 9/11. Now hospitals have them too as it’s too full to move them to the Medical Examiners They have had to build triple stacks like bunks to increase capacity per container to around 110. And it’s not just hospitals where deaths are occurring. On average, there are 25 cardiac arrests that don't make it per day in the city. For the last 4 weeks it’s been 200. The assumption is a good number of those are COVID related deaths, but they don’t test people after they die.

The crematoria in the city are around 2 and a 1/2 weeks behind running full out. In normal circumstances the medical examiner will hold onto a deceased person for 30 to 60 days trying to find family to claim the body. After that, there’s a potter’s field on an island off of the Bronx called Hart’s Island. They normally have burials once a week. Now it’s up to five days a week in double wide trenches that are then covered over. Those are bodies not claimed by family within 15 days. They may well have families but there aren’t resources to keep them past that time.

In the hospitals there is still a major shortage of protective gear. Doctors, nurses, and other staff are becoming ill, some critically on ventilators themselves, and some of those are dying. There have been enough ventilators with some juggling of equipment, but almost all are in use.

Testing remains a problem. If you’re not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital you may not be able to be tested at all, even with the classic symptoms present. They don’t get counted into the case numbers yet, although nursing home cases are now being counted. Estimates are now that every nursing home in NYC have several if not more cases.

Deaths are occurring in the elderly, but there are a good 20% of deaths among under 40 years old. My daughter had a friend she graduated with this past February, around the same age of 25, no known health problems who died. One of her best friend’s father was intubated today. It’s doubtful he will survive the next two days. Her friend, his son, cannot visit as there are not allowing visitors in at all.

I live near 3 hospitals that are caring for many cases as designated to be primary viral illness centers. There was an average of one ambulance siren every 30 minutes or so day and night. They run with lights and sirens just to speed things up for a faster turnaround to go back to work. In the last week it has lightened up to maybe every 30-45 minutes which is an improvement. I live in an independent assisted living facility. About 20 out of 200 are in the hospital with COVID. A friend of mine here died about 10 days ago in the hospital. The owner of a minimart a block away I used to go for small stuff died 3 weeks ago. It’s still closed.

So yes, things in NYC are really that bad. The rest of the country is certainly less than what’s happening here, but there are major cities where it seems to just beginning to pick up. There are also states that are not heavily infected that hopefully will be spared. It’s the extremely high density of NYC that’s been the perfect place for such a major outbreak. Hopefully by May 15th the shelter in place orders will begin to roll back, but I expect it will depend on how things look the beginning of May. There is now an order no one can go out without a mask of some sort, mostly homemade because good luck finding proper masks, if you’ll be somewhere you can’t maintain distance from others, and a requirement on mass transit, taxis and Uber.

There is a fairly large pharmacy chain, Walgreens, by me. They only allow 5 people in the store at one time. You line up outside with markers six feet apart to stand on. The other day it took me 30 minutes to get in. The time before took me an hour. And of course I just had to forget one or two things I wanted to buy. I’ll wait a while before I make another trip.

I’m sorry to paint such a terrible picture of life here, but in time I expect we’ll start to recover. But yeah, the news media isn’t making it up or sensationalizing the situation. It’s legit, and it’s just one day after another.
Please be safe my friend.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Thank you for telling that. Couldn’t describe how awful that sounds.

I say as nonchalantly as I did because there is not a hint of abnormality here (there is as I think 14k deaths but like I say, I’ve seen nothing but I’m a bit out but my brother in London explained the same). It’s just weird. Empty hospitals, people not leaving the house. No ambulances
Quite frankly, looks as though numbers just pulled out of the air on our television

I appreciate you letting me know the reality there. Only hope what I see stays the same then for me and recovery begins asap for New York

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I really hope things get better there soon Eskie! Take care and stay as safe as you can.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Please be safe my friend.

I really hope things get better there soon Eskie! Take care and stay as safe as you can.

Thank you guys. You start to feel numb to what’s happening. I feel safe for now, and my current setup should see me alright. My biggest scare through it all was my daughter getting it. It can be seriously nasty in a young adult. She’s taken about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks to completely recover. There was one night I thought she may very well be hospitalized, but her oxygen saturation perked up and she stayed at home. I’m just so grateful she got better.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thank you for telling that. Couldn’t describe how awful that sounds.

I say as nonchalantly as I did because there is not a hint of abnormality here (there is as I think 14k deaths but like I say, I’ve seen nothing but I’m a bit out but my brother in London explained the same). It’s just weird. Empty hospitals, people not leaving the house. No ambulances
Quite frankly, looks as though numbers just pulled out of the air on our television

I appreciate you letting me know the reality there. Only hope what I see stays the same then for me and recovery begins asap for New York

If you’re in a smaller town and everyone behaves and stay away from others, you may well be alright. Just don’t ever think “eh, it’ll never happen where I am” because it can. So stick to the basics to keep yourself well, and the rest of the town as well.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    When I pass the hospital local to me it’s eerily quiet as well...

Makes sense...
    • They are limiting all kinds of visitors - from patient visitors to vendors to you name it. Any visitor that is not necessary are forbidden or restricted greatly.
    • There are many non-medical, administrative workers inside hospitals that are probably working from home at least part time.
    • If there are any clinics/doctor offices inside the hospital, many appointments are being either postponed or they are doing tele-visits/video-visits with patients.
    • Elective surgeries have been postponed.
    • If you have symptoms of corona virus infection, you aren't going to the hospital as they can't help you. You are going to be told to stay at home, isolated and to keep in touch with your doctor. If your doctor feels you get to a point where you need to be in a hospital, only then will you be admitted.
    All these points (and probably more) would make a hospital look like there is no pandemic going on...from the outside.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @Eskie - Thanks for taking the time to share details on the situation in NY. Having lived in Manhattan I have not kept up with the current news. Toronto, has it’s own fair share of troubles and challenges – although nothing near what NY is going through. Take care and stay safe. Would also like to extend that to all ECF members.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    If you’re in a smaller town and everyone behaves and stay away from others, you may well be alright. Just don’t ever think “eh, it’ll never happen where I am” because it can. So stick to the basics to keep yourself well, and the rest of the town as well.

cheers. I appreciate your thoughts and I do. In fact, not much has changed for me in that respect.
    Your experience has been helpful for me to read.

yes my county (Dorset atm) is little in terms of pop and wow. Just checked figures...
    NY 783 km2 pop 8.4 million
    No these figures are wrong... either way. The density of NY

best of luck to you Eskie. Hope you and your family stays well

just watching Donald ‘Tremendous’ Trump talking about reopening...

Last edited:

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2014
    Home and street deaths in NYC are Eight times what they were this time last year.

Testing is pretty much non-existent for the general population.

The final numbers will be considerably higher than what is currently being reported.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The final numbers will be considerably higher than what is currently being reported.

Not surprising if true, but how did you find out?

Is there some secret darknet website that publishes true information?

If so, how do I get an invitation?

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2014

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    Not surprising if true, but how did you find out?
    Gov. Cuomo mentioned this fact in one of his daily updates. He additionally mentioned that some places are tardy with reports, forgivable as they are otherwise occupied trying to save lives.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I am not 100% convinced that smaller towns will spared by this type of virus, honestly. It's simply going to take a bit longer and the deaths will take place over a lengthier time span so maybe more supportive care and less like, death, but don't forget hospital beds per head are actually lower in rural areas. Far more people die at home.

I have to say the overall New Yorker's lung health HAS to be bad, and that is where rural living MAY assist you honestly. I don't know how much of a difference it would make.

I do not believe in counting deaths "attributed' to COVID in with the death toll. If you cannot test, you cannot know.

But, you know, whatever alarming number is pulled out of the Monopoly hat.... ???

I do also think it goes to show that in high density areas, viruses behave as they do as do people so there is NO control the CDC has over that.

My county is just finally getting started. It would be nice if the CDC COULD have slowed things down but lack of medical care is always going to be the case with a virus in ANY country I think, because we aren't set up for one 24-7. There really is no way to adequately be.

I'm glad you are all okay.

I hope everyone gets their immunizations today! And the next and the next and the next. I think immunizations have saved more lives than any other medical advancement to be honest. I have dealt with families who have brought their young child in TWICE for Tamiflu prophylaxis on one season and like, TWICE then refused the immunization and their siblings got Tamiflu too.

In my opinion there is JUST NO excuse for that, it would warrant at best a CPS call and at worst the parents locked up, but I am passionate about vaccinations and the people who DID die so they could be offered. I also remember Tamiflu being reserved for like serious things not just people of the belief that vaccinations are evil. Also, fine if it's a religious issue, but I DON'T get HOW then IF It's a religious issue you are in the clinic asking for Tamiflu all around! Twice! Rather than trepanning your kid's head as you pray to the Lord etc.

I don't get how vaccines are so bad, but Tamiflu is so religiously fine, not even slightly.

Yah I am probably too judgmental. I mean I got the TB vaccine in Europe before they decided they'd like discontinue it as it did not work and I have to get chest X rays all the time. I just decided to see it as a blessing like they'd catch a tumor early or something.

But if this were a real pandemic test we all would have gotten an F minus.

Kind of makes me think of that movie 12 Monkeys, ooof it feels JUST like that come to think, let me be realistic I do NOT think it IS like that but it kind of has the energy of that movie.

But when a real one comes, we will not survive it either that is the definition of a real PANDEMIC. Fatal enough that only a very few isolated spots or genetic groups survive and that's that.

The numbers I am getting don't indicate it to be a pandemic even with the unproven but counted deaths, I'm sorry they just don't. I am not trying to be mean, I am not demeaning those who have died, and I am sad they have. I am just aiming for accuracy.

Glad your daughter and you are okay @Eskie.
    Anna

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

South Korea and Singapore are supposedly doing quite well compared to the rest of the world because they already got hit hard before with SARS-CoV-1 and MERS and were prepared for another with much more experience. Compared to everyone else...A+ for them.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas

I wouldn't go that far. Yes, there were problems at first with the testing, the states were woefully underprepared. Some hospitals were at the bending point, but didn't break. There were enough ventilators to go around. Tent hospitals and Navy ships were provided, but were underutilized, because of lack of need. DOD personnel were sent. Millions of articles of PPE were provided, but some of the hospital personnel didn't know how to access it. I'd grade it a B--.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread