Newb (former lurker) with a couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
After lurking for a couple of weeks, I took the plunge and joined. I do have a couple of questions I haven't found addressed elsewhere.

How does Koolada differ from menthol? I always thought menthol provided the cooling sensation, but now I'm not sure. I am considering DIY and don't want to waste money on favors I don't need.

Is there a flavor/additive that can eliminate or disguise the peppery taste of nicotine? It reminds me of that lousy gum that burns your mouth - would love to not have that, but I can live with it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Koolada is used specifically to give that "cold" feeling at the back of the mouth. I've just started doing a little of DIY and have added some to my fruit flavors with good results.

It does not really have a 'taste', but it can be used in conjunction with menthol. Try using 4 drops per 4ml of eliquid.

I don't have an answer for your second question. I'm not aware of anything that can mask or disguise the pepper taste of nicotine.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I am considering DIY and don't want to waste money on favors I don't need.

Is there a flavor/additive that can eliminate or disguise the peppery taste of nicotine? It reminds me of that lousy gum that burns your mouth - would love to not have that, but I can live with it.

Welcome to the forum, Zipslack! If you're going to get into DIY'ing, by all means keep Koolada on hand. As previous posters have said, it's useful for adding a "cool punch" to your recipes when you want to avoid menthol flavoring.

I've not noticed that nicotine has a peppery taste, but have had one experience with a ready-made juice (a menthol) that tasted peppery. To this day I'm not sure what caused it, but made it palatable by adding a few drops of sweetener (ethol maltol).

Does ALL nicotine juice taste peppery to you? Or only at certain strengths or from certain vendors or involving only certain flavors?

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
I noticed it with the gum -couldn't stand it. My 12mg NicQuid SmoothTol has more pepper taste. 6mg myfreedomsmoke mint virtually no pepper taste. Different vendors, but different nic levels, so I'm not sure/inconclusive. I am assuming it's the nic since it's the same as the gum sensation and taste. Like I mentioned, I am pretty new to this and do not have a wide range to choose from. Come to think of it, Finiti disposable and a blu I tried didn't have the peppery taste. Those also had stronger/ sweeter flavor that may have masked it. Maybe it's the NicQuid. I guess I have validation for ordering more juices - "It's for research!"

Last edited:

candik

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Central, New Jersey
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of unflavored pg/vg mix with just Koolada and low nic for a basic ADV or stealth vape. Seems the menthol provides more TH sensation which I don't particularly care about (prefer less TH). I really like NicQuid SmoothTol, but feel like I could live without the menthol.

I DIY using supplies from Wizard Labs. I mix a 50/50 12mg unflavored as my go to vape. I can't say that I have any noticeable pepper or undesirable flavor to it. Once in a blue moon, I get a hint of sweet and maybe a tinge of something close to but not quite pepper, but for the most part, I taste the pg/vg only. I do only mix in small batches though so not sure if that makes a difference. To me a small batch is 5ml at a time. (I vape less than 1ml a day.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread