Newbee Questions: 801 vs. 901, Atty lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
I've spent so much time here my wife thinks I'm getting compulsive. I've seen hints but not quite answers for the following.

1. Does the 801 produce more vapor than the 901? I'm using a 901 and it would be nice to get a little more from a puff without going to a high voltage mod. If this is true, why do people use 901s?

2. I now get very little vapor from my first, two week old atomizer. Is it dead or do I likely need to clean it? Alcohol? Distilled water? Holy water?;-) I've seen a recommendation for ultrasonic cleaning but I don't have one of these devices.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
With auto battery PV's you could have a number of problems. You could have to clean your atty. Or your battery power is less than when it was new and thus not as much power and thus not as much vapor. Some members have made the point that since the manual batteries heat the coil more, it keeps the grud from building up on it and weakening the output.

You also could have gotten some liquid in the battery compartment and the battery is getting tempermental.

The 801 does produce a little more vapor but less throat hit on the auto batteries. The draw is more like sucking on a straw in comparison to the 901. This is not a problem with the bigger power units but at least for me and others who liked the 901, the very easy draw of the 801 wasn't realistic enough on the smaller battery.

Good luck. Hope it gets better.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Don't let anyone BS you. If you have a charged battery, and the right juice mixture, you can get loads of vapor from most any e-cig.

VG is the key to vapor production in juice. I use 36mg with 50% VG. I have 4081, 401, 510, 901, 801, and a box mod. They all blow clouds of vapor, and they give a decent hit.

Mix small amounts first until you get your desired results.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
Thanks guys.

Just FYI; my stock Chinese 901 bats are manual. I think these are getting pretty common. Bought a kit with 2 batteries and two attys. Am planning to buy a custom mod manual soon. Trying to make up my mind which one. They're all pretty much Sunday afternoon, garage-craftsman.

I may do some cautious blending. I don't see (taste?) a lot of skill in most of the liquids I've bought thus far and I really don't trust the Chinese to have our welfare at heart. If they can ship us toxic drywall and pet food.....

Can't someone come up with a better abbreviation than 'atty'. I love hearing about dead or blown out attys, but then I realize the writer's talking about a problematic little heater, not an attorney;-)

Rogue X2 v2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
I've spent so much time here my wife thinks I'm getting compulsive. I've seen hints but not quite answers for the following.

1. Does the 801 produce more vapor than the 901? I'm using a 901 and it would be nice to get a little more from a puff without going to a high voltage mod. If this is true, why do people use 901s?

2. I now get very little vapor from my first, two week old atomizer. Is it dead or do I likely need to clean it? Alcohol? Distilled water? Holy water?;-) I've seen a recommendation for ultrasonic cleaning but I don't have one of these devices.

If you're interested in just more vapor -- you can add more glycerin.
My personal preference is to mix 50/50 of grain alcohol and glycerin. Start with 5 drops to a 3ml bottle (80% full). That way you can adjust for more nic juice or smoke. Once you have the formula you want then do the math for a larger capacity bottle. :cool:

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
801 rocks for cart capacity, no doubt about it. The vapor production seems good, but I have a higher voltage PV (Janty Stick).

I mix all of my stuff DIY style with 50/50 nic liquid/VG. It does cut the flavor some, but if you have the flavorings to add or double flavor juice you can get what you want.

If you decide to go with an 801, do it for the cart capacity IMO. Less topping off, thats a huge plus.

fellcolor

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Chicago, IL
If your atomizer is getting warm/hot and you just aren't getting much vapor, then it needs to be cleaned. They get dirty based on the quality of the fluid you use, and how much you vape, so my practically new 510 atty got fouled in about 5 days using cheap fluid. The 4081 atomizers take rather longer since you have to work so hard to really burn through much fluid there.

I'm not going to offer much advice on cleaning - I haven't been doing it long enough. I can say that 2 days in an alcohol bath didn't clean mine at all. Water might. Other things may do a good job. There are other pages on the site that cover atty cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread