• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Newbie here...collecting opinions on the build I'm thinking of (Twist+E1-V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm just getting back into the e-cig thing after about 3 years of being out, and am so lost again. After a bunch of reading for a few days, basically the following is what I'm looking at and why

eGo Twist Battery (x2, probably both 650 mah): For the adjustable voltage and size. I'm not a chain-smoker, and doubt I'll seriously chain-vape, and I can always get the 1000 mah later if needed. The variable voltage interests me because it seems like it would be good to have to get over those analogue-cravings, but then low voltage for the more casual, steady vapes.

E1-V Cleaeromizer: Wanted a clearomizer because they seem to be some of the easiest to fill and also track how much juice is in them, also good for storage (don't think I'll need a huge tank with the amount I expect to be vaping). I briefly looked at the ViVi Mini Nova, the Kanger T2, and the Stardust as well, but each seemed to have more problems. Plastic, picky threads on the VV, shorter wicks on the Kanger, and more leakage on the Stardust. I know I can replace heads on any of these, but the E1 just seemed like the least hassle to be honest. Also, I was thinking of low-resistance heads/coils, because I like the idea of having a heavy, vapor-riffic hit for those times when craving an analogue. But then I head that with a VV battery, I should get a mid-high resistance coil, something like 3 ohms at least (which I believe is mid/standard, right?)? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Here are a few questions I'd like opinions on:
1) What am I missing? Other than chargers, cases, etc. For example, do I need to buy tips for the E1, or does it come with a tip? I'll probably buy a few E1's, and maybe even a few replacement heads (is that possible with the E1?).

2) I posted this in the Canada Forum because I'd also like to know if parts for these are especially hard to find in Canada. So, if there are any oversights I seem to be having with regard to ease of access in Canada, please let me know.

3) Are there cons that I'm not really considering, or are my pros for them misled? Pros/cons I'm looking for can be ANYTHING, from vape performance, battery life, side issues, aesthetics, etc. Also, are there newer versions of the parts I want that I should be considering?

4) Finally, just a couple specific questions - do I need to buy that little ring/adapter thing to make the E1 nicely flush with my eGo Twist? Or is it sized for the eGo pretty much already? Also, if the ViVi Mini Nova fits nicely (flush) onto the eGo, what does the regular Nova look like on there? Does it bulk out a bunch? Is it really long? etc.

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'd really like to know any oversights or potential improvements with this consideration. Oh, also, if anyone knows of a price-comparable, similar-looking, Variable-Voltage battery which includes some sort of battery-life indicator (I hear the eGo Twist doesn't, like some of the other eGo model(s) have that blue light on the button that changes shade), please feel free to mention that too.

Thanks for all your help everyone. This forum has taught me a lot already, and I'm really excited to get into this again, this time as more than just a quit-smoking aid, but also as a hobby!

Last edited:

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Hi all, I'm just getting back into the e-cig thing after about 3 years of being out, and am so lost again. After a bunch of reading for a few days, basically the following is what I'm looking at and why

eGo Twist Battery (x2, probably both 650 mah): For the adjustable voltage and size. I'm not a chain-smoker, and doubt I'll seriously chain-vape, and I can always get the 1000 mah later if needed. The variable voltage interests me because it seems like it would be good to have to get over those analogue-cravings, but then low voltage for the more casual, steady vapes.

I like my twists. Cheap, work well, last a long time. The 650mah is good for a day and a half for me. The 1000 mah a little longer, but because I really like the phoenix/firebird bottom coils, it ends up looking like a magic wand.

E1-V Cleaeromizer: Wanted a clearomizer because they seem to be some of the easiest to fill and also track how much juice is in them, also good for storage (don't think I'll need a huge tank with the amount I expect to be vaping). I briefly looked at the ViVi Mini Nova, the Kanger T2, and the Stardust as well, but each seemed to have more problems.....But then I head that with a VV battery, I should get a mid-high resistance coil, something like 3 ohms at least (which I believe is mid/standard, right?)? Anyone have thoughts on this?

I can't say I'd personally rush out and get a E1. They look cheaply made and can have connection issues, the tanks are super thin, and I'm not a fan of the huge wick. I hate stardusts (draw too tight), I like the T2 and the Nova (recoiled), plus the v3 vivi nova is built really well. For flavour, I prefer the 1 ml phoenix bottom coil cartos - fantastic little devices. Anyway, I guess the bottom line is that we all have our fave devices and you'll figure out which one you prefer.

As for resistance, I go 2.4-2.8 and run them at around 4v. You can use low resistance and run at a lower voltage if you want. It all depends if you prefer a cold or warm vape.

Here are a few questions I'd like opinions on:
1) What am I missing? Other than chargers, cases, etc. For example, do I need to buy tips for the E1, or does it come with a tip? I'll probably buy a few E1's, and maybe even a few replacement heads (is that possible with the E1?).

The E1 comes with a black drip tip. Again drip tip style is personal preference, but the E1 will take whatever 510 drip tip you like. If you go with the E1, get extra tanks and innards - they are expensive, but if that's what you want. Personally, I'd grab a vivi nova mini, a couple replacement heads and a cone so it looks purdy on the twist and a pack of phoenix/firebird bottom coils. The T2s are pretty good too - decent wicking, decent flavour, pretty sturdy (I haven't had any issues with the tips) and easy to clean.

4) Finally, just a couple specific questions - do I need to buy that little ring/adapter thing to make the E1 nicely flush with my eGo Twist? Or is it sized for the eGo pretty much already? Also, if the ViVi Mini Nova fits nicely (flush) onto the eGo, what does the regular Nova look like on there? Does it bulk out a bunch? Is it really long? etc.

The E1 is ego threaded, so no cone required. The vivi mini is 510, not ego, so to make it flush with your twist you will need a cone.

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'd really like to know any oversights or potential improvements with this consideration. Oh, also, if anyone knows of a price-comparable, similar-looking, Variable-Voltage battery which includes some sort of battery-life indicator (I hear the eGo Twist doesn't, like some of the other eGo model(s) have that blue light on the button that changes shade), please feel free to mention that too.

Just stick with the Twist. The other ego sized VVs with battery indicators look cheaply built. See the button on the Ego-V? Bah.

Anyway, that's my :2c: - good luck!

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
What he said. :p

I haven't used or even read/seen much about the E1. Every clearomizer has some problems, there will be flying pigs before everyone is happy with one clearomizer. I personally don't like the stardust, but I like both the Vivi and Kanger T2, but both have minor problems in my opinion.

Standard omhs give you more range on a twist and most people prefer 2.5-3 on the twist - if you want more or less vapour you can easily turn the voltage up or down a bit. I stick to around 2.5 ohms at about 4-4.6v.

The twist button is only white as far as I know and flashes once it dies, the EGO-C battery is the only joyetech battery that changes colours depending on the charge level - but it is not VV. I'm not quite sure why they didn't carry that feature over to the twists.

The Kanger T2 is also EGO threaded and doesn't need a cone.

Here is a picture of the Vivi mini with a straight cone under it and the standard Vivi with the cone that flares on I grabbed off google images. :)

ego batteries.jpg

Aside from batteries, chargers, cases, whatever clearomizer you choose and replacement heads, you only need to get juice I believe.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks so much for the input Battlelance! I didn't actually expect anyone to go through all of the questions, one by one, but I'm so glad you did!

I actually wanted to ask about bottom coil vs. top coil. I would think that I'd like my vapour quite warm, just to get a little closer to smoking analogues (though I could be wrong) - I know taste and full effect will never be the same, but still, I've always liked the slight burn I get from analogues, and I think top coil would help with that. That being said, what are the advantages with bottom coil? I also wanted to ask about what you said here:

Personally, I'd grab a vivi nova mini, a couple replacement heads and a cone so it looks purdy on the twist and a pack of phoenix/firebird bottom coils. The T2s are pretty good too - decent wicking, decent flavour, pretty sturdy (I haven't had any issues with the tips) and easy to clean

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly: you're suggesting that I try out the phoenix/firebird bottom coils IN ADDITION to the vivi mini, and maybe the T2s, right? Originally, I thought you were saying to somehow use the bottom coils with the Vivi's, and I was very confused. Just wanted to make sure that you meant to use the phoenix/firebirds as another option for clearos...

Another question for anyone regarding clearomizers: why wouldn't I just get the longest wicks possible all the time? It seems to me that shorter wicks, or really any wicks that don't reach the bottom of the clearo, would just have issues with absorbing the juice, and require very horizontal or even tipped-back use, or constant refilling beyond the halfway point. What am I missing here? What are the downsides to long wicks, or the upsides that I'm missing for shot wicks?

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
As it was explained to me: Long wicks tend to soak up the "Lighter" liquid first, making the juice around 1/2 way through the tank syrupy thick, which causes wicking issues.

Vaping horizontal? Nope, just have to do the old tilt n twirl (tilt device, rotate it a bit to make sure wick is saturated at top). Depending on how you vape you could end up having to do this any ways. I'm using a high VG ratio and get dry hits if I don't tip it often, I also chain vape though. You get used to it pretty quickly.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
As it was explained to me: Long wicks tend to soak up the "Lighter" liquid first, making the juice around 1/2 way through the tank syrupy thick, which causes wicking issues.

Vaping horizontal? Nope, just have to do the old tilt n twirl (tilt device, rotate it a bit to make sure wick is saturated at top). Depending on how you vape you could end up having to do this any ways. I'm using a high VG ratio and get dry hits if I don't tip it often, I also chain vape though. You get used to it pretty quickly.

I haven't read or thought of that, I just assumed the ability to wick efficiently decreased with the length of the wick. I also assumed liquid getting thicker was just a result of normal evaporation and the exposure to warmth from the coil. :facepalm: I wonder what that's doing with the nic content in juice.

The Kanger T2 has wicks that are just shy of half way down the tube and the Vivi - at least version 3 is all long wicks now I believe, that reach to the bottom. Personally I like the T2 length and I tend to cut 1/4 off wicks that go to the bottom of tanks and unravel them a bit, but everyone has a different opinion.

Tipping is annoying, but you have to do it a bit with all top coil clearomizers and it's not annoying until you get down below 1/4 in my opinion. Plus I think most casual vapers use 1-4 ml/day, so if you have 1-2 2.5 ml tanks you're probably not going to get to the low point where you have to tip often.

I haven't tried the phoenix bottom coil, I was immediately turned off by the syringe filling.

Canvape has the Kanger T2, Vivi and Phoenix (called the firebird), they range from $5-9, so you could try all 3.

Also .. check out youtube videos if you're curious. Vaporchase and Therealcmac are both Canadian and usually always review things from Canadian vendors.

Last edited:

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Wow! Thanks so much for the input Battlelance! I didn't actually expect anyone to go through all of the questions, one by one, but I'm so glad you did!

No problem. I got some fantastic help here when I first started, and I've also blown a ton of cash (your welcome vendors! :)), so I don't mind paying it forward.

I actually wanted to ask about bottom coil vs. top coil. I would think that I'd like my vapour quite warm, just to get a little closer to smoking analogues (though I could be wrong) - I know taste and full effect will never be the same, but still, I've always liked the slight burn I get from analogues, and I think top coil would help with that. That being said, what are the advantages with bottom coil? I also wanted to ask about what you said here:

I'd think that "burn" you'll feel with a analog is going to be replaced more with the nic in the juice. I've run some devices super high, and sure the vape is warm, but it tastes like pewp. I suppose having a top coil would allow for a warmer vape, but if I jack my standard resistance T2 (they are top coil) up to say 4.6v, I don't get anything but a disgusting burnt juice taste. Perhaps someone with more experience in high-voltage vaping can offer up better insight.

That being said, I can run my phoenix/firebird bottom coils at 4.6v and they taste fantastic. I don't have to bother tilting, I can use every last drop of juice in the thing, and it is a very easy mod for some thicker juices (say, all-VG from juggies). Also, I bought two packs of these things months ago and have cleaned them all at least a dozen times, and they still work. I REALLY like them.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly: you're suggesting that I try out the phoenix/firebird bottom coils IN ADDITION to the vivi mini, and maybe the T2s, right? Originally, I thought you were saying to somehow use the bottom coils with the Vivi's, and I was very confused. Just wanted to make sure that you meant to use the phoenix/firebirds as another option for clearos...

Yep, you understood right. I'm currently vaping on a T2, Vivi Mini AND my firebirds. The firebirds are still my go-to clearos, but I've been very impressed with the T2 (it delivers great throat hit and is pretty easy to clean), and the vivi nova is even easier to clean. Plus with the nova you can re-wick the heads yourself, and it comes completely apart for very fast cleaning. I had a bit of a quality issue (its at 3.2ohms but should be 1.8) with one of my vivi heads, so I'm waiting on a replacement, but it works very well and I suspect my new head should perform even better.

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I haven't tried the phoenix bottom coil, I was immediately turned off by the syringe filling.

Yeah, syringe filling can be annoying at first (they do take getting used to filling properly), but I like it. I can clean, dry and refill one in under 2 minutes now.

Plus, when I order a 5 pack, I get "free" syringes for my DIY. :)

And I agree on youtube. Eric has some great reviews, same with cmac. GrimmGreen and pbusardo also.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
The only vivi heads that I've had read at what they're labelled as so far have been my clones...it's a bit perplexing that the "best" appear to have QC issues that a simple check could resolve. My visions all read at least .3 higher than what they're supposed to be, some as high as .6 over! I use a provari mainly so it's not a big deal to adjust, but I can't imagine trying to get an adequate vape on a fixed voltage with them.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the youtube recommendations! Question about bottom-coils and syringe filling - do you usually get some sort of syringe or properly-tipped bottle with your clearos, or will I need to order one or pick one up from a pharmacy or something? If the latter, is there any info I should know like sizes or anything like that? Also, are the bottom coils more difficult to clean than the top-coils? I know you said you can do it all in 2 mins now, but you're a pro haha

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Cool, thanks for the youtube recommendations! Question about bottom-coils and syringe filling - do you usually get some sort of syringe or properly-tipped bottle with your clearos, or will I need to order one or pick one up from a pharmacy or something? If the latter, is there any info I should know like sizes or anything like that? Also, are the bottom coils more difficult to clean than the top-coils? I know you said you can do it all in 2 mins now, but you're a pro haha

Forgot to check back on this thread for more questions, sorry for the delay.

The 5 pack of firebird bottom coils from canvape (and properly other vendors) come with a 2.5ml syringe and two blunt tips for filling, no need to buy anything separate.

As for cleaning, it comes apart easy. There are a few videos on youtube showing you how to do it, but basically, I take the top silicone out, pull the metal tube out, fill with water and blow out a few times. Stuff a paper towel all the way down until it touches the coil - leave it there for a minute or two, dry burn, reassemble, fill. I've never used the top coil phoenix, so I can't comment on that.

Other top coil clearos, like the T2 or stardust are easier to clean. Take tip off, unscrew head, rinse, dry, assemble.

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
Just a note for clarity...

The twist button is only white as far as I know and flashes once it dies, the EGO-C battery is the only joyetech battery that changes colours depending on the charge level - but it is not VV. I'm not quite sure why they didn't carry that feature over to the twists

The Ego Torch (which I think is exclusive to electrovapors) has a battery indicator ring. The light goes from blue to green to yellow to red to indicate how much battery is left. I love my Torches for this reason (and the flashlight on the bottom!) They aren't VV either, though.

Also worth noting is that a "Booster" exists that apparently can turn any ego battery VV. It's about $50, and I've never used it, so no idea if it's a good idea or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread