Newbie here - need advice on replicating a coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrphing

May 7, 2019
So, I'm quite new to rebuilding and have got myself a couple of devices recently - The Famovape Yup RDA and the Innokin Ares (a controversial atty I guess, but I like it), the latter of which will be the one I'm talking about here.

So, the tank came with two pre-wrapped, 1 Ohm coils of 26g Kanthal. I had never built an atty of any kind before, and was surprised when I easily mounted and wicked the coil on the Ares and got a satisfying vape out of it within minutes - very pleased!! A few days later, I installed the second coil and was equally happy with it. Then comes the frustration...
Yesterday, I went and got busy wrapping myself up a new coil for it. I had already purchased 30 feet of 26g KA1, and a coiling jig to go with it (coilmaster v4). The coil which came with it had 6 wraps, spaced, and was 26g as I mentioned. Well...in every attempt to replicate this, I get a sub-ohm coil. Anywhere from between 0.50-0.70. At first, I was puzzled - then realized the legs going towards the posts were perhaps a bit long and therefore lowering my resistance. Alright, I thought. I made another 6 wrap coil of a slightly larger diameter and slightly more spaced, hoping that by shortening the legs I could raise the resistance a bit in spite of the increased diameter. It SORT OF worked, as I can now produce them at 0.75 Ohms reliably, but honestly that's still lower than I like for MTL - it's quite a warm vape even at around 20 watts. I've made several 1.0-1.5 ohm coils with 30g wire since then, but feel like it doesn't deliver the same flavor and satisfaction the 26g builds did. Has anyone got any recommendations? All the calculators, forums and even Pbusardo's videos about building the Ares say that 6ish wraps at 2.5-3mm should ohm out to 1 using the 26g, but my equipment disagrees.

I apologize for the length of this post; brevity is not my strong suit.

TL;DR: My 26g kanthal builds are always sub ohm. help.

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So, I'm quite new to rebuilding and have got myself a couple of devices recently - The Famovape Yup RDA and the Innokin Ares (a controversial atty I guess, but I like it), the latter of which will be the one I'm talking about here.

So, the tank came with two pre-wrapped, 1 Ohm coils of 26g Kanthal. I had never built an atty of any kind before, and was surprised when I easily mounted and wicked the coil on the Ares and got a satisfying vape out of it within minutes - very pleased!! A few days later, I installed the second coil and was equally happy with it. Then comes the frustration...
Yesterday, I went and got busy wrapping myself up a new coil for it. I had already purchased 30 feet of 26g KA1, and a coiling jig to go with it (coilmaster v4). The coil which came with it had 6 wraps, spaced, and was 26g as I mentioned. Well...in every attempt to replicate this, I get a sub-ohm coil. Anywhere from between 0.50-0.70. At first, I was puzzled - then realized the legs going towards the posts were perhaps a bit long and therefore lowering my resistance. Alright, I thought. I made another 6 wrap coil of a slightly larger diameter and slightly more spaced, hoping that by shortening the legs I could raise the resistance a bit in spite of the increased diameter. It SORT OF worked, as I can now produce them at 0.75 Ohms reliably, but honestly that's still lower than I like for MTL - it's quite a warm vape even at around 20 watts. I've made several 1.0-1.5 ohm coils with 30g wire since then, but feel like it doesn't deliver the same flavor and satisfaction the 26g builds did. Has anyone got any recommendations? All the calculators, forums and even Pbusardo's videos about building the Ares say that 6ish wraps at 2.5-3mm should ohm out to 1 using the 26g, but my equipment disagrees.

Hi and welcome.
The stock Ares coils are 7/8 wrap coils.
aree.JPG

Steam-Engine sez to wrap a 7/8.
1.JPG

TL;DR, Add one more wrap. :thumbs:

ETA: Unless building for a mech with a fixed power output, resistance is not so important.
Using a regulated device, you can adjust the amount of power being delivered to the build. Different builds may need different wattage and air flow adjustments.
Stick with it and you will learn how to get the best vape, for you, from the ARES.

Cheers
I

Last edited:

Tyrphing

May 7, 2019
Hi and welcome.
The stock Ares coils are 7/8 wrap coils.
View attachment 813873

Steam-Engine sez to wrap a 7/8.
View attachment 813875

TL;DR, Add one more wrap. :thumbs:

ETA: Unless building for a mech with a fixed power output, resistance is not so important.
Using a regulated device, you can adjust the amount of power being delivered to the build. Different builds may need different wattage and air flow adjustments.
Stick with it and you will learn how to get the best vape, for you, from the ARES.

Cheers
I

Thank you and thank you! I was stuck on the idea of less wraps = more resistance, not thinking about the legs as much - figured an increase in diameter would be helpful moreso than an extra wrap, but alas it's not the case! I just went and built and indeed, it read at 0.98 - close enough for me! Glad I'm able to reliably build my ares now, in a way that satisfies me. 26g seems to deliver a better taste for me than the 30g.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thank you and thank you! I was stuck on the idea of less wraps = more resistance, not thinking about the legs as much - figured an increase in diameter would be helpful moreso than an extra wrap, but alas it's not the case! I just went and built and indeed, it read at 0.98 - close enough for me! Glad I'm able to reliably build my ares now, in a way that satisfies me. 26g seems to deliver a better taste for me than the 30g.
I agree!
I'm a huge fan of 26. I use SS316 now, but used kanthal for years.

If you want to try something with the 30AWG, twist two strands together (coffee cup method is fine over carpet) and build your 1Ω coil with that. It should be a 6/7 wrap at 3mm.

Cheers
I

Phoneguy1492

May 15, 2019

Phoneguy1492

May 15, 2019
Yes you are doing well. A.5 ohm coil is what you are looking for. I think that most all RDA coils are sub ohm. If you have a regulated mod .5 is great. Just don't go below .1 ohm with one or two coils. If you have a mechanical mod or temperature control mod you can go lower but keep in mind ohms law and battery fires from over amperage.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
If you have a mechanical mod or temperature control mod you can go lower but keep in mind ohms law and battery fires from over amperage.
Did you really mean to write ‘mechanical’ mod, and not regulated mod? Wouldn’t there be a risk of overloading the battery in a mechanical mod, whereas a regulated mod ‘knows’ how much power it can draw and simply switches off and/or displays an error message if you try and go beyond that? (I have no practical experience with mechanical mods, but that was my understanding)

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
More wraps=more wire=higher resistance. Longer legs=more wire= higher resistance.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Yes you are doing well. A.5 ohm coil is what you are looking for. I think that most all RDA coils are sub ohm. If you have a regulated mod .5 is great. Just don't go below .1 ohm with one or two coils. If you have a mechanical mod or temperature control mod you can go lower but keep in mind ohms law and battery fires from over amperage.
Everything in this post is wrong.

Phoneguy1492

May 15, 2019
Did you really mean to write ‘mechanical’ mod, and not regulated mod? Wouldn’t there be a risk of overloading the battery in a mechanical mod, whereas a regulated mod ‘knows’ how much power it can draw and simply switches off and/or displays an error message if you try and go beyond that? (I have no practical experience with mechanical mods, but that was my understanding)

Phoneguy1492

May 15, 2019
You know reading the post in here is like trying to explain to your wife or girlfriend about something that you said. When you are live and can respond in a conversation type atmosphere little things don't become larger things. But to answer your question. Say that you have a protected mod it will let you vape all the way to .1 Ohm. So far so good. Now you would like to start vaping with stainless steel just like magic you turn on the TC MODE. And all of a sudden the same mod will let you go down to.05 ohm.. But to answer another way I was thinking about watching your amp draw of a unregulated mod. And then again if some newbie just so proud that he picked some batteries on the cheap that get warm 10 amps.....

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You know reading the post in here is like trying to explain to your wife or girlfriend about something that you said. When you are live and can respond in a conversation type atmosphere little things don't become larger things. But to answer your question. Say that you have a protected mod it will let you vape all the way to .1 Ohm. So far so good. Now you would like to start vaping with stainless steel just like magic you turn on the TC MODE. And all of a sudden the same mod will let you go down to.05 ohm.. But to answer another way I was thinking about watching your amp draw of a unregulated mod. And then again if some newbie just so proud that he picked some batteries on the cheap that get warm 10 amps.....

You're making absolutely no sense. What does a TC mod that fires at .05 ohms have to do with a question about making 1 ohm coils?

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
You're making absolutely no sense. What does a TC mod that fires at .05 ohms have to do with a question about making 1 ohm coils?
I was thinking the same thing... Now what I’m wondering is this: is he just unable to explain himself properly, or is it a lack of understanding of the basic principles? Either way, maybe he shouldn’t be giving advice, it’s really confusing for someone who isn’t sure himself.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I was thinking the same thing... Now what I’m wondering is this: is he just unable to explain himself properly, or is it a lack of understanding of the basic principles? Either way, maybe he shouldn’t be giving advice, it’s really confusing for someone who isn’t sure himself.
I agree 100%

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Huh?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Wouldn’t there be a risk of overloading the battery in a mechanical mod
Yes
Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

whereas a regulated mod ‘knows’ how much power it can draw and simply switches off and/or displays an error message if you try and go beyond that?
Regulated mods can detect a low voltage in the batteries and warn or shut down. They cannot detect when the user settings are drawing too much current. This has to be calculated and managed by the user by choosing the correct battery/s to match the wattage that they have selected.
Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

I have no practical experience with mechanical mods, but that was my understanding
Just a suggestion, educate yourself before you start offering advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread