Newbie in desperate need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bworms1980

Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
orlando
Hi

I'm pretty new to vaping. My fiancee bought me 2 disposable blu e-cigs, I tried them but didn't compare to my analog so they sat collecting dust unless I ran out of analogs. He also bought a 5 pack of the refills but couldn't find the kit, so the refills are still sitting here. Thought about getting the kit so they don't go to waste, hoping the kit is better than the disposables, but just haven't felt up to spending $60-$100 on a kit that I may not like any better than the disposables. Plus I haven't seen many good reviews on Blu. I bought a starter kit in Sam's Club called Mistic, wasn't much better than Blu, I recently purchased NJoy from Walmart, its a little better but not by much.

I don't want to but I NEED to get off analogs. About a month ago I had to call 911 because I couldn't breath. I'm asthmatic and I had a cold, I was so sick that I had not smoked for two days, but I just couldn't breath. The months before that, I would break out into a heavy sweat huffing and puffing and have to go sit down just helping to unload the groceries from the car. So as I said, I need to move off of analogs.

I have been researching, reading ECF, checking out video reviews and just afraid to hit the buy button. Don't have a lot of money and I'm worried about buying the wrong thing. I have about $60-$70 to spend right now. I've pretty much settled on maybe buying the Crystal Clear Starter Kit but I've been sitting here for about 4 hours on the fence, so hard to try new things.

The problem for me is that none of the ones I bought in the store gave me enough vapor/smoke. Plus I'm a menthol smoker, and I can barely taste the menthol. I can't tolerate regular tobacco flavor as it irritates my throat and sends me into a coughing fit. I absolutely need menthol and prefer it strong.

So, can anyone tell me if that kit has everything I need to get started and if you have tried it, can you tell me anything about the strength of the mentol? Is this a good kit for a newbie? From reading through ECF I see that there are many factors including battery life and much, much more so I've confused myself into a headache by now.

Also, any other ones I should consider in a starter kit in the $50-$70 price range?

Thanks
Marsha

PS. As the only smoker in a non-smoking religious family, I REALLY need a good e-cig lol. My family has not stopped annoying me, especially after I came out the hospital. They keep calling me every time they see an e-cig commercial and throwing me fliers for every crappy piece of e-cig they see in the papers. UGH. :mad: I finally snapped at my mother the other day when I went all the way over to see what she wants only to be told that she saved a commercial of an e-cig for me. Then as I stomped out the door, she turns to my stepfather and says "Don't worry, addicts always get angry when you corner them". (eye twitch)

muriarte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2011
Monterrey, MX / McAllen, TX
I would go for a bigger cig, a Kgo will give you unregulated power, and that means more vapor and more TH. You can buy a Kgo kit from Darkcity vapor for $44 USD. About the menthol, buy a juice that you like and some menthol crystals, so you can put menthol in any juice or make stroger a menthol one.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Wow, that's some good family support you have there. First off, you are inspired to quit. Second, your family actively encourages you to try vaping. Third, you're in the right place to get the best of support and help from this forum. So, you're already doing good. Haven't heard much about the kit you mention. All I can tell you is my experience - I started with a 510-XL/Titan (pen style) kit, and loved it as an introductory piece. It quickly became onerous though with having to charge 5 batteries a day and constantly topping up cartridges. So I moved to the eGo Twist 650, along with some clearomizers and am REALLY enjoying the experience now. I'm sure someone here will give you a link to a kit, or a vendor who can put together the basics for you (i.e. 2 batteries, 2 or more clearos, a wall charger (I prefer to use the wall rather than my laptop for charging batteries bigger than the pen styles) and then of course some juice.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
The E-Power and Kgo are both 3.7 Volts PVs. The difference is extra Kgo batteries are $17.00 each while extra E-Power batteries are 2 for $10. Reason being the E-Power batts are separate from the PV whereas the Kgo batts are the PV. So as an economical long term PV the E-Power is an excellent choice. It will definitely give you what you're looking for.
Good Luck.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
If you can handle something that isn't the same size as a regular cigarette, either the KGO or the E-Power that you linked to would be EXCELLENT! If it came down to either of these two, I'd personally get the E-Power over the KGO, because later on, when you have to buy more batteries, they will cost less than buying a whole new device. This will be MUCH better at delivering vaper etc... than the Blu or any of those store bought disposables. You'll see the difference when you get it...it'll be like night and day! Afraid I can't help you on the juice, I always make my own.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
You can buy a Kgo kit from Darkcity vapor for $44 USD. About the menthol, buy a juice that you like and some menthol crystals, so you can put menthol in any juice or make stroger a menthol one.

I was gonna go into a Q&A as to what you expect from a kit. But muriarte went right to the best option for the money. Finding your joose flav should be the only main factor in your quest! Cartos/carto-tanks/ clearos would be the other unknown for your needs.

For $44/kit, it will beat the pants/undies/BVDs/etc. off the smaller e-cig formats, with some $$ available for sample flavs!

Good luck...
thumbsup.gif

Boothvilleboi

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Boothville Louisiana
Lmao.!!! Addict. You need an intervention lol.I started with blu about two yearsago and loved the flavor but the battery only lasted maybe 30 min. If you want a cheap way to start IMO get a passthru and maybe a 510 battery and some cartomisers. That way you don't spend all your money on something you don't want...that being said I've been through countless trial and error stages as have everyone else here I'm sure. I finally ended up with my REO grand and let me say that its by far the easiest and most sastisfying vape I've had ever. Just saying. You get what you pay for in life and no exception for vaping. The best bang for your Buck right now is the ego twist. I hear great things about it and I'm sure it will have more vapor production than njoy lol.

Gloria

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
midwest
I have KGOs and they were my 3rd step up from the mall ecig I started with. SKIP the KGO altogether and get a couple of 1000 mAH Ego C Twists in a well priced kit. Having the variable voltage is worth the few extra bucks over the KGO, IMHO.

Here's the one that I got. He should have more in stock in a few days. Ecig starter kits

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
If you go for an eGo sort such as a Kgo, eGo twist, Riva, ect better known as "fatt batts" that last much longer than something that look like a cigarette you'll want to end up considering cartos, cleromizers, tanks. Simply they are delivery devices. Cartos you drip juice into them mostly/condom method(I have info about that in my blog) Cleromizers often come with a syringe(you may need to purchase one, one with a blunt not sharpened needle which is thin is best) You put juice into a cleromizer with the syringe. Its actually quite easy with the bonus of actually seeing when you need to fill. Never use a high VG with cartomizers. It's just far too thick in most cases. Best not to go beyond 30%. Tanks, well i havn't used tanks. I've found much vaping happiness with cleromizers.... however everyone is a little different so there's no promises in what will be your favorite delivery method. As we all smoked different brands, we all have our own vaping quirks.

Fatt Batts should last at least 7-10 hours a charge. 100MAH of power=1 hour of use.

If you do go with a fatt batt variety you'll want to stick within the 2.0 Ohm range. A good site will share this information with what hardware they sell.

Be prepared that electronic cigarettes are a "cottage industry". It may seem daunting at first but there are many bonuses as well. First is the great feeling, YOU are supporting small business! 5 points! Many sellers offer free goodies(mostly juice vendors in my experience) There are often contests to win things(you may get more into that later on). Mostly you will find that a vendor specializes in either hardware or juice. They may offer both but for juice... defiantly stick with a vendor who's main objective IS juice. Hardware vendors juice may not be so tasty...... hardware at juice vendors you may pay a little more for.

As for your menthol conundrum.... I personally think you may enjoy this vendor--->Mister E's Menthol - Mister-E-Liquid.com You can choose the intensity you want. When I first quit using e-ciggs I found their menthol very clean tasting. Also they make some very very tasty fruit and menthol mixes you may want to try as well. The "Ice" collection. The Ice Collection from Mister-E-Liquid I personally really like their Grape, Apple, and Watermelon Ice. Get 4-5 small, 6ml samples from different vendors. Maybe about 5 6ml bottles at first. You don't want to go overboard and get 30ml of something you don't like or be stuck with too much if you just can't get into vaping. Most people do seem to succeed here though.

My last bit of advice- Relax It's overwhelming right now we've all been there. Give yourself the time necessary to soak it all in, ask the questions you need to, but above all.... It WILL be much easier when it's all in your hands. You'll have a lot of "OMG THAT'S what they were talking about!!!" moments.

Last edited:

garbagefairy1967

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
chicago suburb
If you go for an eGo sort such as a Kgo, eGo twist, Riva, ect better known as "fatt batts" that last much longer than something that look like a cigarette you'll want to end up considering cartos, cleromizers, tanks. Simply they are delivery devices. Cartos you drip juice into them mostly/condom method(I have info about that in my blog) Cleromizers often come with a syringe(you may need to purchase one, one with a blunt not sharpened needle which is thin is best) You put juice into a cleromizer with the syringe. Its actually quite easy with the bonus of actually seeing when you need to fill. Never use a high VG with cartomizers. It's just far too thick in most cases. Best not to go beyond 30%. Tanks, well i havn't used tanks. I've found much vaping happiness with cleromizers.... however everyone is a little different so there's no promises in what will be your favorite delivery method. As we all smoked different brands, we all have our own vaping quirks.

Fatt Batts should last at least 7-10 hours a charge. 100MAH of power=1 hour of use.

If you do go with a fatt batt variety you'll want to stick within the 2.0 Ohm range. A good site will share this information with what hardware they sell.

Be prepared that electronic cigarettes are a "cottage industry". It may seem daunting at first but there are many bonuses as well. First is the great feeling, YOU are supporting small business! 5 points! Many sellers offer free goodies(mostly juice vendors in my experience) There are often contests to win things(you may get more into that later on). Mostly you will find that a vendor specializes in either hardware or juice. They may offer both but for juice... defiantly stick with a vendor who's main objective IS juice. Hardware vendors juice may not be so tasty...... hardware at juice vendors you may pay a little more for.

As for your menthol conundrum.... I personally think you may enjoy this vendor--->Mister E's Menthol - Mister-E-Liquid.com You can choose the intensity you want. When I first quit using e-ciggs I found their menthol very clean tasting. Also they make some very very tasty fruit and menthol mixes you may want to try as well. The "Ice" collection. The Ice Collection from Mister-E-Liquid I personally really like their Grape, Apple, and Watermelon Ice. Get 4-5 small, 6ml samples.

My last bit of advice- Relax It's overwhelming right now we've all been there. Give yourself the time necessary to soak it all in, ask the questions you need to, but above all.... It WILL be much easier when it's all in your hands. You'll have a lot of "OMG THAT'S what they were talking about!!!" moments.

Great advice! I wish I had this forum when I was starting out LOL I wasted so much money before I found a setup I love =]

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Great advice! I wish I had this forum when I was starting out LOL I wasted so much money before I found a setup I love =]

Thanks! Luckily i'm a researcher at heart and after my brother had been attempted to be swindled by a "BUUUT you get our cruddy device for FREEEE only pay 49.95 for cartridges!" I searched and searched and eventually found vaping forums. ECF being the best I stuck around here.

Oh ya... RUN FROM CARTRIDGES!!! It's just old technology.

Ooooh ooh, get a drip tip :) Drip tips are awesome and pretty. Just make sure they fit your threading. Threading is related to what you buy. Most eGo styles are 510. Your drip tip should be described to fit a "510" Very cheap at only about 3$

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Bworms , Welcome to the ECF. So to cut through all the "i got this" chatter ... the e-power kit you listed would be a heads and shoulders upgrade from anything that has the slim form factor. It will run any carto you should choose to run at any ohm load. My advice would be to pick the e-power starter kit, go with the pure menthol and get a second box of the resurrector cartos in 1.7 ohm. This would be the most sensible beginning of your vaping future. What you need is a simple rock solid vape , nothing fancy just a good reliable vape. The e-power fits that bill to a t. I also agree as a menthol vaper that your biggest hurdle is surely going to be finding an enjoyable menthol vape. No liquid is going to taste like an analog, it will just be evoking the emotions, revving the senses so to speak, associated with smoking rather than duplicating the actual flavor. In all I say pull the trigger on the kit you listed from crystal clear vaping, you have plenty of time to branch out from there into clearos and all the other niceties once you are comfortable with vaping as a replacement for analogs.
Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

garbagefairy1967

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
chicago suburb
Thanks! Luckily i'm a researcher at heart and after my brother had been attempted to be swindled by a "BUUUT you get our cruddy device for FREEEE only pay 49.95 for cartridges!" I searched and searched and eventually found vaping forums. ECF being the best I stuck around here.

Oh ya... RUN FROM CARTRIDGES!!! It's just old technology.

Ooooh ooh, get a drip tip :) Drip tips are awesome and pretty. Just make sure they fit your threading. Threading is related to what you buy. Most eGo styles are 510. Your drip tip should be described to fit a "510" Very cheap at only about 3$

I love my bling 510 fat batts with a boge cartos and texas tuff tanks! =]

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Bworms, the E-Power kit you picked out is a good one and you could do a LOT worse than ordering that kit. And CCV is a good vendor too.

I have the KGO kit and it's good also, but it's basically the same thing as the E-Power except that the E-Power is cheaper in the long run because the batteries are cheaper to replace. It's kind of a toss-up between the two for me.

The other kit you might consider would be an Ego Twist kit from sweet-vapes.com here: http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=1204&category_id=38. It's a little more expensive but would give you the benefits of variable voltage. (You'll have to trust me that you will appreciate variable voltage once you experience it.)

I would suggest you get the Twist, KGO or E-Power kit, and get a couple of Vivi Nova tanks. The Vivi Nova is the most dependable, trouble-free, leak-free juice delivery system I've tried.

Check out Post #38 in the following thread for my advice to another user. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/310734-hello-new-ecig-user.html
But note that Hoosiers no longer sells the E-Power kit.

Best of luck to you, and please don't hesitate to ask more questions. We are here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread