Newbie, Just gave up the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Actually I dump my pipes some 3 years ago and because I am now a widower so I was bored and got them out again...for 6 weeks until I started coughing etc. A friend suggested vaping and so off the deep end I went.
To date I have a Topside squonker with a Profile mesh head and a smok piv-x with the Prince V12 Q4 and have been using mainly 70/30 vg ratio with nic at 6mg. Now I have noticed that I am constantly adjusting the Topside, both watts (50ish) and air also 50ish, but this squonker seems to vary the sweet spot or pops and spits I am aways adjusting whereas the smok setup seems much more stable. I'm thinking it's because of erratic wicking?
Good advice is needed, Thanks

ShawnB85

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Savannah, GA
I actually do the same thing when I use my Mesh Pro on a DRAG2 and the Falcon on a Wismec Redulax (spelling). I chalk it up to my taste changing. You also have to remember that vaping/chain vaping heats up the coil and makes the vape hotter. So I will slowly turn the wattage down if I'm puffing on it for a while. I don't think anything is wrong with what you're doing, just find you sweet spot if possible and if not just keep going with what you're doing.

• Agree
Reactions: Anise

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Congrats and welcome to the ECF !
I have been using bottom-feed gear (squinting) for years now. The wicks HAVE to stay moist.
50 watts is way hotter than I use, but I think someone has already mentioned repeated firings will keep the coil hot and continue to build up heat. Maybe drop your wattage by half, and tinker with the airflow to get the vape/ flavor you want at a lower wattage ? Less cloud is not always a bad thing ...

Reactions: Letitia

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I actually do the same thing when I use my Mesh Pro on a DRAG2 and the Falcon on a Wismec Redulax (spelling). I chalk it up to my taste changing. You also have to remember that vaping/chain vaping heats up the coil and makes the vape hotter. So I will slowly turn the wattage down if I'm puffing on it for a while. I don't think anything is wrong with what you're doing, just find you sweet spot if possible and if not just keep going with what you're doing.
Hi, chain puff maybe the reason, I think I just need to settle in and develop a pattern that works.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Welcome to ECF.
What wicking material are you using?
You likely just need to finesse your wicking, can take a while. There is a thread or two on the profile rda.
I am using Japanese cotton that came with the kits, I am sure about the wicking....being very careful.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the reply's, all very helpful....sounds like I just need to adjust and try different settings. The very close mesh to tip space on the Profile tends to make a hotter vape compared to most tank designs.
I am wondering if having only a single 18650 10amp battery on the Topside mod using a 0.15 mesh and firing at 35 to 60 watt range is a problem?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am using Japanese cotton that came with the kits, I am sure about the wicking....being very careful.
Howdy and welcome :)
Have you watched any YouTube videos on how to wick the particular atty you are using? 50w is very high for an RDA. They generally do well at wattages far lower than a coil cartridge system. I rarely vape one above 30w myself.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hello and welcome, CoolSiggy. Spit back in the Profile is generally but not always due to a couple things; wicking (juice saturation), over dripping, or not enough wick, thus creating a surplus amount of juice in the juice well so when u inhale for a drag, juice is slurping up. I'm thinking it's what Leticia said, wicking. The thing about the Profile and other mesh RDAs is that you need tons of cotton. Downside to that is; Too much.. over saturation. Too little.. harsh dry hit. I think people have problems with that RDA compared to other tradition non-mesh RDAs is that it's one of those atomizers that doesn't have as much leway as others and cotton isnt really much of an issue. But once you get it, you're gravy. I would also suggest to use that really thick shoe lace cotton made by Wotofo that's made specifically for the Profile. I got to the point that I used regular organic Kendo cotton and it vaped just as well. Hope it works out. Nobody like a spitty hit or likes to drink their ejuice. Good luck, happy holidays.

Reactions: bombastinator

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Hello and welcome, CoolSiggy. Spit back in the Profile is generally but not always due to a couple things; wicking (juice saturation), over dripping, or not enough wick, thus creating a surplus amount of juice in the juice well so when u inhale for a drag, juice is slurping up. I'm thinking it's what Leticia said, wicking. The thing about the Profile and other mesh RDAs is that you need tons of cotton. Downside to that is; Too much.. over saturation. Too little.. harsh dry hit. I think people have problems with that RDA compared to other tradition non-mesh RDAs is that it's one of those atomizers that doesn't have as much leway as others and cotton isnt really much of an issue. But once you get it, you're gravy. I would also suggest to use that really thick shoe lace cotton made by Wotofo that's made specifically for the Profile. I got to the point that I used regular organic Kendo cotton and it vaped just as well. Hope it works out. Nobody like a spitty hit or likes to drink their ejuice. Good luck, happy holidays.
Thanks, I have been watching the Vape U-tube videos and learned a great deal. I think your advice may work, the cotton (Wofoto) does shrink alot when wet and the cotton may not cover the well completely...I tried the pancake method but not sure what that is suppose to do...after a bit the cotton just seems sag into the well. Think I will try a new wick, as per the Wofoto video and try to cover the well better.

Reactions: FΛDED

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Howdy and welcome :)
Have you watched any YouTube videos on how to wick the particular atty you are using? 50w is very high for an RDA. They generally do well at wattages far lower than a coil cartridge system. I rarely vape one above 30w myself.
Howdy..I am now at 22 watts on the Profile RDA with flow at 50% and it"s cool and smooth. I think the short distance from mesh to tip makes the higher wattage difficult.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy..I am now at 22 watts on the Profile RDA with flow at 50% and it"s cool and smooth. I think the short distance from mesh to tip makes the higher wattage difficult.
This is possible. I understand now that you are using a mesh RDA which is a type of device I have little experience with as I use coil RDAs. In what little I have read I am given to understand that mesh RDAs behave differently from traditional RDAs in several respects so I’m not sure how much help I can be.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
This is possible. I understand now that you are using a mesh RDA which is a type of device I have little experience with as I use coil RDAs. In what little I have read I am given to understand that mesh RDAs behave differently from traditional RDAs in several respects so I’m not sure how much help I can be.
I have been using the mesh for 6 days now and the mesh is still very clean, long life was one reason I chose the mesh.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Thanks, I have been watching the Vape U-tube videos and learned a great deal. I think your advice may work, the cotton (Wofoto) does shrink alot when wet and the cotton may not cover the well completely...I tried the pancake method but not sure what that is suppose to do...after a bit the cotton just seems sag into the well. Think I will try a new wick, as per the Wofoto video and try to cover the well better.

Sweet! Yeah it kind of sucks to having to buy a particular brand of cotton but it's made for it and there isn't much guess work involved. It's fantastic that you're watching YT vids. I found in my early days, the more I watched the more I learned and got better. I found videos to be very educational. Nowadays there's tons of YTers and more videos. It's a good time to learn and start being a vaper. But anyways, you shouldn't have an issue using that Wotofo cotton. It's straight to the point and simple. Soon after several re-wicks you might try and go back with standard cotton pads or whatever cotton you currently use and play around to find out that perfect wick method for that Profile. Beats having to always buy Wotofo's. Yes, vaping is about saving lives with harm reduction but it's also about saving money too.

Btw.. nice user name.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Actually I dump my pipes some 3 years ago and because I am now a widower so I was bored and got them out again...for 6 weeks until I started coughing etc. A friend suggested vaping and so off the deep end I went.
To date I have a Topside squonker with a Profile mesh head and a Smok piv-x with the Prince V12 Q4 and have been using mainly 70/30 vg ratio with nic at 6mg. Now I have noticed that I am constantly adjusting the Topside, both watts (50ish) and air also 50ish, but this squonker seems to vary the sweet spot or pops and spits I am aways adjusting whereas the Smok setup seems much more stable. I'm thinking it's because of erratic wicking?
Good advice is needed, Thanks
Welcome and glad you joined.
Started out with pipes a long time ago when they were the thing, wish I would have vaping then.
Might like to read through:
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Welcome and glad you joined.
Started out with pipes a long time ago when they were the thing, wish I would have vaping then.
Might like to read through:
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Hi Bob, I loved my pipes...but here in Australia they placed a high duty on tobacco, 2oz costs $100. I have 50oz"s on the shelf with nowhere to go. Saw a review that showed cotton and rayon, will give it a try.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Wow. I've never bought pipe tobacco but that just sounds expensive.
And..that's not the end of the story, Australia is a nanny state, meaning it is very socialized. Tobacco smokers are now vaping...so the central government has place a ban on the selling of nicotine juice which has been a boon for New Zealand as there is no law preventing imports direct to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread