Newbie need help with Extracting RYO Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

swish

Jan 31, 2019
Hi all, after finding this forum and reading the Cold maceration thread I was quite fasinatated and would like to give it a try as its seems fairly simple.

Purchased 2 Jars: 50kg of Drum and 60kg of Benson & Hedges
20190131_112806.jpg

These are the only items I have atm. Now Need to buy 1L PG & 1L VG and some Coffee filters?
What else do I need? any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't speak metric. Looks like a pint jar, 2 ounces of tobacco and fill with PG, then set away from sunlight and heat for three months.
A liter is similar to a quart. Can’t remember if it’s a little bigger or a little smaller. Bigger than a pint though. The internet will know. It’s smarter than me.

• Informative
Reactions: PapawBrett

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hi @swish welcome to the extraction sub-forum! Since you've read the cold maceration thread you're likely armed with lots of useful information on how-to perform the extraction.

You've got your tobacco(s), containers and are getting some PG, VG and coffee filters so you're about ready to begin the cold soak extraction. The cold (room temperature) extraction method is simple, straight forward and as close to foolproof as tobacco extraction gets, a great choice for anyone just getting started.

I have three suggestions;
  1. The longer you let the tobacco soak the better the flavor will be. I'd suggest a 6 weeks soak at a minimum, 12 weeks would yield even better results. My best cold extractions used a 65/35 PG/VG blended solvent and soaked for well over 6 months.
  2. After the extraction is complete and you've separated the tobacco from extraction solvent, seal the extract in a clean jar and let it sit undisturbed for a week or two before performing the final filtering. This allows oils time to coalesce so the filter can more easily remove them.
  3. Think about getting better filters for the final filtering, I'd suggest using medium or fast flow 2 micron paper lab filters.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy your NET! :)

Reactions: Izan

swish

Jan 31, 2019
Thanks for the replies all, just to update my PG and VG bottles arrived yesterday. This morning I sterilized the jars and when the they cooled down I put in the tobacco and filled up.
20190206_082606.png
20190206_101056.png

BTW when I opened up the tobacco pouches they smelt so great that I rolled up one to smoke. Only took 3-4 drags and suprisngly did not enjoy it. I've come to love vaping (2 or 3 months now).

Now just to wait a few months for these two. Hope it turns out well, quite enjoyed the process. Might do another with Dunhill tobacco, but they have so much different tobbacos I don't know which I would like hmmm.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
To be honest, I wouldn't know. And I'm frugal (tight), so I'd be loathe to.

I was thinking, what may have caused the condensation. And I know from experience that a lot of Tobacco seems to have water added to it, as it may be a cheap way to increase the weight and therefore increase their profit.

And, as Propylene Glycol is hygroscopic and absorbs water. There must be a point where it is unable to do so effectively.

So you would have to ask others, if letting it breathe a little may help.

But a good Tobacco range I remember is American Spirit, that had very little moisture content. You could actually roll and smoke from a freshly opened pack without straining or lighting the damm thing multiple times.

swish

Jan 31, 2019
You've got your tobacco(s), containers and are getting some PG, VG and coffee filters so you're about ready to begin the cold soak extraction.

I have three suggestions;
  1. The longer you let the tobacco soak the better the flavor will be. I'd suggest a 6 weeks soak at a minimum, 12 weeks would yield even better results. My best cold extractions used a 65/35 PG/VG blended solvent and soaked for well over 6 months.
  2. After the extraction is complete and you've separated the tobacco from extraction solvent, seal the extract in a clean jar and let it sit undisturbed for a week or two before performing the final filtering. This allows oils time to coalesce so the filter can more easily remove them.
  3. Think about getting better filters for the final filtering, I'd suggest using medium or fast flow 2 micron paper lab filters.
Ok after a long couple of months eagerly waiting, now ready to finish them. Need help buying the rest of the items to complete the extract.

My brain needs a refresh, what should I use to separate the tobacco from the PG. I've read that people have used a aeropress (any recommendations?) then finish off with filtering through the 2 micron lab papers you mentioned.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
There are many different ways to separate the tobacco from solvent (now an extract) once the extraction process is complete. A coffee filter and funnel, A nylon mesh "nut milk bag" and funnel, an Aeropress with filters, a potato ricer with either coffee or nut bag filter...etc. Personally, I prefer using a canning funnel and nut milk bag.

A few years ago while helping someone understand this step of the process I took some pics showing how to use a coffee filter and funnel. Put a coffee filter inside the funnel and place the funnel inside a clean jar.
four.jpg

Pour as much of the loose extract as you can through the filter before dumping the saturated tobacco in. When all the loose extract has filtered through start dumping the saturated tobacco in the filter. Don't fill the coffee filter more than half full of tobacco, if there's still tobacco left use a second filter once you're done with the first one. After dumping the tobacco in, allow time for any loose extract to filter (drip) through.
s2.jpg

Once the loose extract has dripped through, gather the top edge of the coffee filter folding it down over the tobacco to encapsulate it.
s4.jpg

Taking the encapsulated tobacco in hand, holding it over the funnel, gently squeeze it to wring out the absorbed extract. Slowly increase pressure until you've recovered as much extract from the tobacco as possible.
s5.jpg

For extractions using PG as the solvent, allow the separated extract to sit in a sealed jar for at least a week before performing the "final" filtration. This allows natural oils time to coalesce enhancing the filter's ability to catch/remove them.

For people who want to keep their hands clean, a potato ricer or Aeropress can be used to recover (squeeze) extract from the saturated tobacco.
ricer.jpg aeropress.jpg

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread