Newbie: needing help with mvp

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to site, needing some genuine help. Just started vaping this summer. Ego pen styles had no real power so I got a sigelei mod kit from mix and match style vendor. Worked great. Had charger, back up batteries, kanger 1 tank, and I clear 30. Then something went terribly wrong after about a month. Sigelei got hot, nearly blew batteries. Tested by my spouse and it is definitely the sigelei. Must be the contacts :(... Need help with that.
Now, after smoking a ton of analogs- (gross!)- purchased the itaste mvp out of desperation, ( it was the biggest battery pack at the mall). Paid a bit more than I should have, but hey, I couldn't wait for shipping from fast tech. Now, I have the mvp, which vapes fine... For a single draw... When it chooses to work correctly. :( I can't tell when this thing is on or off, green light pops up when you hit the power button, but no vape. I've tried turning it off and on, but can never tell with this thing. I am getting no juice! About 3 times I saw the amber, red, green but I still can't get a decent set of puffs out of this thing. I prefer the iclear 30, and have tested it with every vv +,-, and still can't get the hang of it. It's forcing me to wait forever, and after an all nighter of tinkering with it, I still only have had 8 successful puffs.and they were poor quality, I might add. I am just close to literally eating a pack of analogs! Please please please help. Thanks in advance for your time. Also, this forum is a little tricky and I work long shifts, so if I don't respond right away, I promise, I am not ignoring you. :confused: Need some advice- quick, fast, and in a hurry. :blink:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've had my MVP for over a month now. I've had a similar problem with the fire button on mine. It appears the problem is if you don't push the button fully and keep it pressed down fully, it can stop firing. You tend to notice this and press the button once or twice more, and end up turning the device off completely. My only advice is to find the best way to hold the MVP and be able to do a consistant, firm press of the button to avoid accidental turn offs.

I've had good success with the Innokin iClear 30 clearomizers. Easy to fill and rather consistant as far as clearomizers go. Just remember to frequently tilt or swirl them to keep the wicks wet with juice.

I really like the look of the Kanger Protanks on the MVP. These are bottom-fed clearomizers, so you don't have to do the tilt/swirl thing like the top-wicked clearos. I occassionally don't get any vape from them. I turn the voltage up to 5 volts and do a 4-5 second burn and then vape, and so far this technique seems to work.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The red-orange-green sequence happens when you turn the MVP off or on.

As Bad mentions, it's easy to wind up pressing the fire button ""not fully", resulting in contact bounce. Three bounces and the MVP turns off. Firm, solid press.

It might be, too, that the pin on either the clearo or the MVP is slightly depressed, and you're not really getting a good connection. That will certainly prevent any vapor! Snug, but not tight. If you're using the beauty ring, try putting the clearo on without it. There may be a height issue preventing good contact.

Might also be an issue inside the Iclear, i.e. loose head.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Notorious2again

Moved On
Aug 1, 2013
Austin, TX
Actually sounds like your clearo might be the problem. I had a dripping atty causing similar issues on multiple batteries. Tried it on my MVP, my eGo batteries, and my SVD. Was causing all of them to just turn off.

The MVP button is finicky if you don't depress it firmly in the center. That could be your issue, as others have pointed out. But first I'd ask if you've tried different clearos? Or are you doing all of these tests/experiments with the same iClear?

Notorious2again

Moved On
Aug 1, 2013
Austin, TX
Also, thanks for the help my friends. I'm very appreciative, and I am trying the suggestions- seems like mvp works at random.

I had an issue with my MVP last week. It wouldn't fire with a bunch of my 510 threaded devices. I went back to my local shop and the guy behind the counter took a small flathead screw driver, wiggled the center pin on the battery, and it ran perfect afterward. Maybe give that a shot? I haven't had an issue since.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
If you push the button of the MVP and get no vapor and the button stays green for awhile. There is a short somewhere. Most likely in your I Clear. If you wait a couple seconds the green light should be gone and the button should work again. Put a different delivery devise on the MVP and try again. Also, try a bunch of button pushes with nothing on in, and pay attention to the button light. If it stays green for awhile with nothing on it then there is probably a short in the 510 connector.

Last edited:

scotton

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Texas
I would definitely check the pin on your tank, as one of my protank heads has to be adjusted every time I take it off (not just with the MVP).
Not to rule out a bad unit (these things happen), but make sure it's not user error. I've never had an issue with pushing the button and getting a great vape. However, I took my MVP to my B&M to let my buddy there try a flavor and he had all kinds of problems. He kept turning it off when trying to vape. Maybe if you are used to a button that stands out from the unit, the recessed button can take some adjustment.
Or you could have a lemon.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Yes, the puff counter will show on the screen when you push the voltage + or - buttons. However the new style MVP resets to zero every time it shuts down now. It won't show when you push the fire button, or when it is just sitting there "on".

You shouldn't have to wait at all between puffs. If your fire button is staying green after you stop firing it and won't fire again for awhile, you have a short somewhere. You will need to track down where that is.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Can you test your toppers on another battery? If so, and they work there, it's either a pushed pin on the topper or the MVP (or both), or perhaps a defective MVP. My guess is pushed pins. Easy to do from overtightening.

If you press the fire button and it lights up, the MVP is on. The color when you do that is an indication of battery charge state. Green, good. Yellow, getting low. Red, effectively discharged. As said, if on and you press either the + or - button, the screen will light up, showing first the puff count, then the set voltage.

Also, and hasn't been mentioned.... the little switch on the bottom needs to be OFF. You only turn that on if you want to use the MVP to charge a cell phone.

Thank you. Trip to b&m in my immediate future. I am fairly good with electronics (usually) , and I really thought it might be me, after all.
Wish me luck. I'm definitely going to need it.
This site is great, btw. I have read dozens of threads and learned a whole lot, and the immediate responses are second to none! There are some really good people here, and I am so happy I found you! Hope to help others in the future. I will pay it forward.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Good luck Steamed. I hope you get it fixed up.

I'm guessing it's the center pin in the 510 connection either smashed down from over tightening or a little metal shaving in the connector shorting it out.

When I first started using my MVP I was kinda frustrated by there being a gap between the beauty rings and all my carto tanks. I screwed the tanks on tighter to make it look better and shorted a carto by smashing the center pin in to far. I now just put them on snug and thread the beauty ring up to the bottom of the tanks. Not real smart on my part but at least I didn't fix it like I normally do... with a hammer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread