The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Newbie question - vape or eat?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Adja, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Adja

Adja Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I am still waiting for my starter kit to arrive, but have been reading the threads with fascination.

I see so many people talking about delicious flavors, and I am wondering if anyone finds that vaping something tasty causes them to eat more, or to want to eat more? Or could it possibly be the reverse, that vaping helps you to NOT eat something calorie laden?

I didn't see any threads on this question.

Thanks very much to everyone here for sharing their knowledge!

2. bestthingever

bestthingever Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Adja, I've seen it here both ways. Personally, the food flavors make me want to eat the real thing, but other members say the opposite happens for them.

3. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Hi Bestthingever - Thanks for your reply! I guess I will just have to wait and see how it affects me.

4. mistinthewoods

mistinthewoods Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, MI
    Adja, I was about 40 pounds overweight when I started vaping in February. I've lost 25 pounds since then. I'm almost back down to my fighting weight. I think that, for me, vaping all those flavors has curbed my desire to snack. I have more energy and wind so I'm getting more exercise. I go running with my dogs now and it feels really good. I've always gained weight when I've quit smoking in the past so this experience is amazing to me.

5. Ghost Song

Ghost Song Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2010
    Oklahoma
    vaping, in general, food flavor or not, diminishes my appetite.

sometimes, i'll forget i haven't eaten.

6. glares

glares Full Member

Apr 1, 2010
    USA
    i've found vaping doesn't suppress my appetite as much as analogues, but it could be due to a subpar PV.

i've started using a much better PV today. perhaps that changes things. will see.

7. CaptJay

CaptJay Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2010
    A Brit, abroad, (USA)
    vaping doesnt suppress my appetite like cigs did either - but I also DON'T want to eat the food flavors Im vaping on - if I DO have something to snack it has to be complimentary to the flavor Im vaping or, for me at least, it kills the vape flavor.
    My weight hasn't really changed since I started vaping.

8. CES

CES optimistic cynic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    I vaped instead of eating for the first few weeks, because i was focused on the flavors. Now vaping has little or no impact on my appetite. My weight has stayed pretty stable. It seems to be more linked to whether or not I'm exercising in the morning or sitting on my butt reading the ECF :)

9. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks so much to everyone for all of your input! It seems like vaping is really a personalized experience in all aspects.

I can't wait to get my starter kit! I'll start watching for the mailman today even though I don't seriously expect my kit to arrive until at least tomorrow. LOL

10. glares

glares Full Member

Apr 1, 2010
    USA
    oh That Wait; we all know it :D

in case you didn't already know about them, here's some really good pointers for new e-cig users :
    the last point wouldn't have worked for me as just like junk food i need them to be out of reach completely. but, like you said, vaping is personal. :)

11. itsf8

itsf8 Full Member

May 27, 2010
    Baltimore
    I found that I'm less likely to eat now that I'm vaping. In fact, I used to grab a snack at night so that I wouldn't smoke another cigarette. I don't have to worry about that now - I'll vape instead of snacking. I love all the chocolate & coffee flavors, and they seem to satisfy my sweet tooth.

It is fascinating how everyone has a different experience, isn't it?

12. glares

glares Full Member

Apr 1, 2010
    USA
    yeh all that desert flavored juices definitely curb the sweet tooth. now if only i could do the exact same with salty junk food...

not that i'd want to vape greasy french fries, but, you get the point. :D

13. zbasspro

zbasspro Vaping Master ECF Veteran

It`s taken the place of my snacking, and the need for something sweet. This is not necessarily a good thing, as I wouldn`t mind adding 10 lbs.

14. JustKryssi

JustKryssi Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Dirty Jerz
    I eat more now that I'm exclusively vaping but I think it's because food tastes so good to me now. I started cooking again and experimenting with different spices etc...

When I smoked analogs, I craved salty, greasy fast food for some reason. So now I've saved money twice over by cooking at home and ditching the cigs!

15. jiff

jiff Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2009
    Arizona
    Well, if the choice is truly "Should I vape or should I eat?" Then I would say eat is the smarter thing... If you don't eat, you'll die. If you don't vape, you won't get a nic fix.

:p

16. Kimmy

Kimmy Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2009
    The lungs and stomach are two entirely different beasts, so I really don't think vaping helps for any form of weight loss. That's just my personal opinion. I have gained weight since vaping. The first few months I didn't, but now I have months later. It is odd considering I exercise daily...but vaping does make me want to eat...it activates your taste buds. Sorta like when you have a chip. You can't just have one, you have to have many. :)

17. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    So many different and interesting takes on the experience!

I ordered coffee, cola and tobacco flavored juice and cartos with my starter kit, but I have been reading lots of threads between then and now, and I am intrigued by the other flavors that are available.

OTOH, simply reading the word "cheesecake" is enough to cause me to want some, so it is hard to imagine vaping something like that and not wanting to eat it. :)

Thanks to all who replied!

18. Zurd

Zurd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Montréal
    It is, I really tought everyone would gain weight and eat more since analogs stop the appetite. And this is what happened to me, gained a few pounds, as for vaping it really doesn't change anything to my appetite tho.

19. Col. Gaunt

Col. Gaunt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Nope, It just makes me want to vape more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.