Newbie Question: Wick and Coil for GG Penelope

Status
Not open for further replies.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm currently on the fence about whether or not to buy the penelope.
I know that it's in stock right now and I'm extremely tempted to buy it and try it out.
I'm currently using a surge tank with a 3.0 ohm cisco 306 atty on top of my provari.
I like this set up a lot, but I'm currently itching to try my hand out at rebuildables.
Told myself I wouldn't spend any more money but I can always sell the surge tank on the classies :3

Anyways, if I were to get a penelope, I'm confused at the wick I would need to get.

34 or 32? nichrome or kanthal? Do I need NR wire? .999 silver??

would
Replacement Wick and Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers
be a good to get along with the penelope, cause I don't think it comes with any wick/wire

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
I am planning on purchasing one too. From what I understand, you can use the silica wick or a cotton wick (3mm). Many people are using cotton and other materials because there have been reports regarding silica wick splintering apart and releasing small fibers which can potentially end up in your throat or lungs (I can not speak to this issue, as I have no direct experience). Someone mentioned buying cotton wick on eBay. As far as wire, seems like most people prefer kanthal A1 32 AWG. I found some various stuff on amazon. COV also stocks these supplies but it can be "pricey" if you buy in quantity.

I'm sure someone who is more familiar with this will chime in.

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
Just following up: I have prepared everything except for the Kanthal resistance wire. I am trying to track some down but it is difficult. I talked to a vendor today who said "Let me guess, you need this for your e-cigarette, right?" which I laughed at. He said he gets 15-20 calls a day from people wanting to purchase the Kanthal wire. Well, I am sure it will all work out. If not, I will get the nichrome and not probably really care that much. I bought a few feet of .999 silver NR wire from a jewelry supply vendor online, which was like $4 or something and I ended up buying some 3mm #1/0 cotton wick which I will boil before use and compare to the silica wick.

I have learned a lot about all this in the last...48 or so hours, and I don't even have my Penelope yet...but as always, I am really glad I read a LOT about it, all here on ECF.

Last edited:

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Lex0r... I think we're in pretty much the EXACT same boat.
Ordered my penny 2 days ago, should get it today/tomorrow,
ordered some .999 silver, some kanthal a1 from silica wicks, along with silica wick from there.

I've learned a lot in the last 48 hours and i'm SO EXCITED to finally put it all to use.

Only downpart is I'm leaving for vacation monday morning so I might not be able to fully try it out for another week (what a first world problem :rolleyes:)

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
Lex0r... I think we're in pretty much the EXACT same boat.
Ordered my penny 2 days ago, should get it today/tomorrow,
ordered some .999 silver, some kanthal a1 from silica wicks, along with silica wick from there.

I've learned a lot in the last 48 hours and i'm SO EXCITED to finally put it all to use.

Only downpart is I'm leaving for vacation monday morning so I might not be able to fully try it out for another week (what a first world problem :rolleyes:)

Yeah it's exciting! All of my stuff should be here within a few days :) What juice do you plan to test your Penelope out with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread