Newbie RBA/Fogger Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackmormon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
1st post. Been lurking for quite awhile and trying a bunch of things to find what I like. Am in love with the rebuildable dripping atomizers. The day I setup an Igo-L with a micro coil and cotton was the last day I smoked analogs. Two weeks today. Also have a smoktek RDA and a Phoenix and all are easy to build with a freehand coil and silica or a micro coil and cotton.

Just received one of those Fogger tanks from vaportekusa. Looks nice and my 1st rebuildable tank. (Probably 1st attempt!)

A couple of questions:

1) It came installed with a stainless steel wick and coil. I have zero experience with stainless steel wicks. When I read the resistance of the coil from the posts, it reads 1.7. If I try to read from the base it jumps in the 8.x - 9.x range. Checking resistance on a vamo shows 9.9 and the SVD won't read it. Does this sound like something shorting out with the mesh or is the base bad? Not sure what to think when it reads correctly from the posts.

2) There is something that looks like a serious design flaw, but maybe it is just my newbieness. I couldn't get a decent picture to show this but right above the SS wick there is a very thin (.25mm?) o ring at the top of the part that screws into the center base. This o ring is approximately .5 mm from the SS wick and maybe 1.5mm from the edge of the coil. I am guessing the o ring is silicone but it really looks like it is going to melt and/or deform. (In the user manual for the Taifun GT there is no such o-ring. The two units look pretty close except for this detail.)

Any help/advice from the more experienced is much appreciated!

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome , but sounds like it could indeed be a short . Using SS for wicks is not much different than using silia or cotton . oxidize piece of mesh , wrap your coils , and hook it up . And yes because it is a metal , there is a better chance of a short . Just try to keep the wick itself , away from the sides , and off the bottom of the device . Good Luck .

The o-ring does not seem to affect anything negatively. Now, that being said. I AM having numerous issues with this RBA. I removed the o-ring, initially, because the wick that came with it was underwhelming to say the least. I replaced the original SS wick with an ekowool wick, which helped. At this point I realized that the issue was one pertaining to airflow, since I was using it on a Sigelei 19b with the Nzonic cap. The top cap is known to have issues with bottom coil tanks, and since the base of the Fogger is essentially a larger pro tank base, this didn't work very well with the Sigelei.

Since airflow was the issue, I decided to use it on my SVD, which has far better airflow. I was using a different device, so I thought that I would try the SS Wick again. I went through the process of oxidizing a wick, building up the carbon on it, etc... Built the coil, got it glowing uniformly and then put the fogger back together. It leaked like a sieve. Literally dripping out of it from the bottom when I lifted it out of the device.

I took the delrin piece out of the bottom and tried to replace it, but I couldn't get it back in.

Has anyone had good luck with this rba yet?

jackmormon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
I have given up on the Fogger V1 for now. I don't have the skills or experience to get it to work without leaking. I did get a microcoil and cotton to work, but the leaks persist. I am so in love with rebuildable drippers I kind of forgot about it. Building a new coil on a ProTank is wayyyyyyy easier and doesn't leak ;)

It is pretty but I don't think it is worth the hassle. Waiting impatiently for the Russian 91% models to become generally available to a newbie not in a coop or pre-order list.

SpyderClouds

Sep 19, 2013
Indiana
Ok, after I ordered my Fogger V1, I found 2 English reviews on it and they were both VERY negative. Basically said they were complete junk. Then the next day I find that there is a V2. So, I get mine in the mail, finally, only to find that it won't even fire on either of my twist style batts. So I start to look into a tube. I chose to get a lava dude Lambo 4.0. While waiting for THAT to ship to me, I start correcting the visible flaws of my new tank. I took it completely apart, and straighten a few things out. First, I cut the insulator down, as it was touching the bottom of the coil, and I could see burnt plastic on the coil and mesh wick. I also cut the bottom insulator down where it was blocking most of one of the air feed holes. And lastly, I tossed the silly silicone "seal" that went around the head. (The very same seal you are seeing that looks like it could burn). I wrapped a micro coil and got it in there (what a challenge that is). But, I had no way of checking resistance. I used the wire that came with it. Finally got my lava tube today! I screwed the base on it and checked resistance at 4.8!!! Needless to say I pulled it out and wrapped a good one at 1.2 ohms. Painfully got it in there and bla... Flashes "LO". WTH??? Turns out that the Lambo 4.0 won't fire anything lower that 1.3... GRRRRR... Pull it out again!!! Wrap a 1.4 micro, fires perfect, slip in some cotton, thin layer on top, prime it up with some Mai Tai screw it down, put about 1 mil in the tank put it together and screwed in on and crossed my fingers.

The verdict? Flip pin' awesome. Just as its named, FOGGER... I'm not sure if I just got a fluky good one? Or if the previous mentioned reviewers just got the fluky bad ones... Absolute thumbs up from me though.

Sorry, such a long post, but that's my experience. Thought it might help you with yours. Good luck...

SaraP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Long Beach, CA, USA
I got the v1 version as well. I haven't been able to get it right yet. :( I did go in and fix what was causing it to short, but the mesh doesn't seem to be getting enough juice to give me a hit that doesn't taste like metal at the end. Also, being that it's set to 1 ohm, I think I should be getting more vaporous. I have a dripper at .9 ohms that gives at least 3 times more vaporous. Not sure what to do with it. :confused:

boxley

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Wichita, KS
Can't get my V1 Fogger to work at all. Tried the coil it came installed with and it fired but very poorly and tasted awful, so I swapped out for a new coil and...nothing. Resistance read as an open circuit. Rewrapped, retested, same. Tested with just a piece of wire between contacts...open circuit. Test negative to positive post, open circuit. I'm not sure what happened between the first test fire and second, but I have no idea what to do with this thing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread