Newbie Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anima

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2011
Texas
I'm sure all of my questions have been covered elsewhere, but to be honest I'm a little overwhelmed. I apologize.

I was a smoker and I switched to vaping. I love (LOVE!) vaping, but, to be honest, it's gotten super annoying for a number of reasons (though it's still way better than cigs). So, long story short, I decided to quit. I decided that this would be easy because I would just let myself run out of juice and it would take days to order more, and by that time I would be detoxed. Needless to say, this is untenable. I don't want to go back to vaping, but I don't want to live without nicotine. I think snus could be the answer, but I know nothing about it. I currently have a Camel Mellow in my lip and it's... okay. I don't want to murder anyone, but I'm not getting the satisfaction vaping provided and I'm definitely not enjoying it. It's making me a little nauseous (swallowing lots of icky juice), and I'm not sure it's strong enough.

So, I know that US snus is the bottom of the barrel, but even after looking through these threads I'm still confused as to where to order some good snus from. I would like to use it in company, so I don't want huge pouches, and I'm concerned about my stomach being able to handle stronger stuff. I'm currently putting it above my front teeth. Is that right? Also, is there a health thread here? What health concerns should I consider? Is this going to rot my gums???

Thanks in advance for responses and I apologize again for redundant questions.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    No matter where you order from the shipping is going to be expensive. It sounds like you would want mini portion snus but the problem is that the highest mini is going to be probably 8mg. You might consider trying some long portion snus too. It's long and skinny and might be a little more stealth than regular portions. As far as where to place it, I've never put mine in the front. I have always put mine above my molars in the back. However the farther back you go then you get more saliva flow. The main places to order from are snuscentral, northerner, getsnus that I have used. There are a few others but I'm not familiar with them. Even though our government makes the companies put the mouth cancer warning stickers on the swedish snus, there are many years of research on swedish snus that proves that it in fact has no link to causing cancer. I have used it over two years and have no signs of ill affects on my gums. Swedish snus is a totally different animal from dip or chew. As far as getting ill from the juice, maybe try having some water to sip on for at least the first few minutes after first putting in a portion.

Anima

ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2011
    Texas
    I place it halfway between my front teeth and molars. Less liquid generated and still stealthy. The Thunder minis are 8mg. It might be worth trying a long portion. Still stealthy but stronger than minis.

Thanks! I got some Camel Frost and the taste is much better. Odd, because I preferred tobacco-flavored vapes, but the mint snus is much more tolerable. I'm going to get some Thunder Frosted minis and maybe some of the Long+Strongs.

I think I'm going to be able to quit vaping and start using snus successfully, but I am a little dismayed that it's not as stealthy as I'd hoped. Today someone asked me if I'd been to the dentist because it looked like my lip had something in it. Apparently, even the minis are conspicuous. Bummer.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    In the past it was very easy to order small amounts of snus and pay little in the way of shipping. Since the PACT act went into effect in June of 2010 it has gotten much worse. It's still not to bad if you order large amounts. I normally get at least 5 rolls (50 cans) at a time so the shipping doesn't hurt as much. Of course you have to be sure what you're ordering is something you like, and it takes a bit of time and experimentation to figure that out. Kind of a bummer.

I see you have already ordered, but my suggestion was going to be to try some of the standard size snus. It really doesn't show as much as you think it does. You definitely might want some for those times when you don't have to be so discreet, as in when you are at home.

A few other options are to try and find some Swedish snus locally. I don't know if you are in a larger city but there are some places that now sell General snus in brick and mortar tobacco stores. You can also try ordering from lil' brown shack. They only sell General as far as Swedish snus goes but there shipping in very reasonable compared to others.

https://www.lilbrown.com/entity/tab...snus/default.aspx?pgsize=1000000000&pagenum=1

I see they do carry General mini mint which you might like. They also carry the regular sized mint. Even though some folks don't' like it I do like General Wintergreen. I think hittman gives a thumbs down to that one but I have been using it for almost 3 years and I still like it. Every one has there own taste...... and there's no accounting for some.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Stubby I always forget about lilbrown. As far as the wintergreen goes, you are right, I can't stomach it. But each to his own. I know OTD used to like it and he's the one that suggested I try it. I did try it several times and just couldn't take to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread