Newbie to diy e-juice and have a curious question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
Im a long time vapor, i have been vaping over 5 years, it has helped me completely quite cigarette smoking. I am quite happy to know that there is a helpful community to help vapors post their questions about safely making their own vape juice.

My question is that after all the research i have done i am planning to mix 100% pg vape juice, to all concerned i have bought Baker's Imitation Vanilla flavor that has no alcohol. What i am asking is since it is a flavor and is also a PG, Should i mix it with distilled water, and if so what ratio should use or can i just use the imitation vanilla flavor only?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Welcome to ECF :)

Uh, why 100% PG? Yes, it does "carry" flavor better, but may also be a bit harsher. I lean heavy on PG, but run about 65 - 70%.

Be ABSOLUTELY certain that that food flavor has NO OIL. Oil in vape is a killer. Literally. It was vitamin E acetate in alternate liquids, with oil, that created the EVALI screw-up some years back.

IF no oil, no need to dilute it, just start with tiny amounts, adjust to taste. With all PG it's going to be pretty thin, anyway :)

Alcohol is no biggie, there are a lot of vape-safe flavors that have it. Just leave the mixed juice uncapped for a couple days to let it evaporate out.

And come join us over here :)

Random DIY mixing and More

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Welcome to ecf @Tardisbob75 :thumbs:

Immediately, without looking up the brand, it appears you bought an off-the-shelf grocery store flavoring. That flavoring contains artificial colors and preservatives you do not want to inhale into your lungs. Plus, you’ll need to use a lot more of it compared to GRAS vape flavoring concentrates bought online.

Look here and make another choice :)

You can thank @UncleJunkle later :D

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    i have bought Baker's Imitation Vanilla flavor that has no alcohol. What i am asking is since it is a flavor and is also a PG, Should i mix it with distilled water, and if so what ratio should use or can i just use the imitation vanilla flavor only?

According to the manufacturer (McCormick) that vanilla flavoring contains the following ingredients (Link)...
    • Water
    • Propylene,
    • Glycol, (yes, glycol is listed as a separate ingredient from propylene but that comma is probably a typo because nobody wants to pay anyone to do proper work anymore in this clown world)
    • Vanillin,
    • Caramel Color,
    • 0.1% Sodium Benzoate (Added as a Preservative),
    • Phosphoric Acid, and
    • Ethyl Vanillin.
    I have no idea if half of those ingredients are bad to vape but as @smacuser stated I see no reason to use those grocery store flavorings since flavorings that are "safe" for vaping are widely available. Look at this alone!

Also, since almost no one uses these grocery store flavors to make juice, no one would be able to tell you what % to use in your juice, assuming it's even safe to vape (which I think you should not assume).

Also, I'm not really sure why you would think you need to mix it with water nor why you would want to make 100% PG juice (although I have come across one person online who vapes 100% PG juice due to very bad asthma and VG is heavy on their lungs).

@classwife, please move this to the DIY forum...thanks.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hello everyone,
    Im a long time vapor, i have been vaping over 5 years, it has helped me completely quite cigarette smoking. I am quite happy to know that there is a helpful community to help vapors post their questions about safely making their own vape juice.

My question is that after all the research i have done i am planning to mix 100% pg vape juice, to all concerned i have bought Baker's Imitation Vanilla flavor that has no alcohol. What i am asking is since it is a flavor and is also a PG, Should i mix it with distilled water, and if so what ratio should use or can i just use the imitation vanilla flavor only?

Wow... 100% PG. That makes me want to Cough just thinking about it.

Why do you want to go so High with the PG?

According to the manufacturer (McCormick) that vanilla flavoring contains the following ingredients (Link)...
    • Water
    • Propylene,
    • Glycol, (yes, glycol is listed as a separate ingredient from propylene but that comma is probably a typo because nobody wants to pay anyone to do proper work anymore in this clown world)
    • Vanillin,
    • Caramel Color,
    • 0.1% Sodium Benzoate (Added as a Preservative),
    • Phosphoric Acid, and
    • Ethyl Vanillin.
    I have no idea if half of those ingredients are bad to vape but as @smacuser stated I see no reason to use those grocery store flavorings since flavorings that are "safe" for vaping are widely available. Look at this alone!

Also, since almost no one uses these grocery store flavors to make juice, no one would be able to tell you what % to use in your juice, assuming it's even safe to vape (which I think you should not assume).

Also, I'm not really sure why you would think you need to mix it with water nor why you would want to make 100% PG juice (although I have come across one person online who vapes 100% PG juice due to very bad asthma and VG is heavy on their lungs).

@classwife, please move this to the DIY forum...thanks.
    The main reason for going 100% pg is that honestly right now im broke and am on foodstamp, i was wanting to go pg and vg but i couldn't find any vg products that i could buy with foodstamps, if anyone knows what proper pg and vg products that i can buy with foodstamps im listening. Also im not making mass bottles just one bottle. And as the ingredients go um your are correct that my bottle of imitation of vanilla flavoring does not have a comma after propylene so if so that this bottle doesnt contaian propylene glycol but only propylene by itself then i learned my lesson

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I guess the first instinct when reading your post is to ask why. What are your goals that you're going in the direction that you're going?

As far as using McCormick vanilla extract I would not. Extracts from organic materials do not make for good e-juice flavoring in general I'm not saying it's not possible but it's carrying a lot of risk with no clear reward. I have heard of people doing it a long time ago before the mass availability of e-juice flavoring but it's frowned upon. I know that virtually all of our flavorings are food and beverage flavors but what we don't use is extracts of oils and that's what vanilla is going to be as an extract. How much oil are we talking I don't know but again it just carries risk without reward.

As far as adding water to the extract I'm not sure why that would be something to do. You do hear of people using distilled water in e-juice but it's usually as a way to reduce the viscosity which brings us on to our next question as you will not need a reduction in viscosity You actually are going to be missing a thickening aspect.

What is it that you desire about 100% PG E juice? Even with older school materials I feel like that is going to be a difficult thing to do. It's going to be extremely thin e-juice and I don't know that it would even be containable in most modern day atomizers or even rebuildables. I think the propensity for leaking is going to be near guaranteed. That is a viscosity that could even potentially leak out of a top af atomizer. Even the old school atomizers and coils wouldn't be recommended for a 100% PG even when PG was the dominant material 100% would be considered unnecessarily thin e-juice. And I don't even want to think about the harshness... I don't know that it would even be usable I know I couldn't use it but I'm sure there's someone out there that can lol

I'm trying not to sound critical please don't think that I'm being critical of you I'm just wondering why and also suggesting heavily that you do not use McCormick extract

*So I didn't read the post above mine that actually explains the circumstances behind the PG and probably the flavoring too I'm going to keep this up anyway just in case but now I understand why..

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The main reason for going 100% pg is that honestly right now im broke and am on foodstamp, i was wanting to go pg and vg but i couldn't find any vg products that i could buy with foodstamps, if anyone knows what proper pg and vg products that i can buy with foodstamps im listening. Also im not making mass bottles just one bottle. And as the ingredients go um your are correct that my bottle of imitation of vanilla flavoring does not have a comma after propylene so if so that this bottle doesnt contaian propylene glycol but only propylene by itself then i learned my lesson

I'm really sorry to hear that, but buying grocery store flavors because you are poor isn't the way to go. It can prove dangerous, possibly even fatal. Funny, though, last week I was in a local surplus food store and they have flavorings from a manufacturer that seemed safe. Ingredients were mostly just PG and flavors.

BTW: No one is telling you not to use flavors based in PG, most flavors are. It just sounded like you wanted to make 100% PG juice.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @Tardisbob75 I'm confused. Do you have plain PG, plain VG and nicotine base? Because without those you aren't making juice (well, you don't need the nicotine if you want to vape 0mg juice, but you need PG and VG).

You can't make vape juice with flavor and water. I'm beginning to think this is what you are trying to do?

Ejuice is made of:
    • Some percentage of PG
    • Some percentage of VG
    • Some percentage of nicotine base (most people use a 100mg base and dilute that)
    • Some percentage of "safe for vaping" flavorings

Reactions: DavidOck

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    LorAnns flavors can be purchased at Walmart and I think, but am not sure, that they may be purchased with food stamps. It is found in the cake decorating section. Also in the cake decorating section, are bottles of glycerine, which is VG. I don't know if food stamps can be used for that. You can try.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hello everyone,

Hi and Welcome,
    But what about the nicotine?
    IMO, it's the most important part of the mix.

Which device do you have/plan to use?

Cheers
    I

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Having financial constraints to me means that you actually have to be even more careful about what you're using because you're so close to the edge as it is if you were to vape something with oil and it were to damage your lungs the medical care would be devastatingly out of reach most likely.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DavidOck

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    LorAnns flavors can be purchased at Walmart and I think, but am not sure, that they may be purchased with food stamps. It is found in the cake decorating section. Also in the cake decorating section, are bottles of glycerine, which is VG. I don't know if food stamps can be used for that. You can try.
    Aren’t there LorAnn’s that you can and cannot use? I believe there’s a sticky regarding that matter.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Aren’t there LorAnn’s that you can and cannot use? I believe there’s a sticky regarding that matter.

Yes. Thank you for that clarification and sticky. The majority of LorAnns are safe, but a few are oil based and should not be used. Most of the time, it says oil on the name of the flavor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread