NEWBIE to NEWBIE - A quick Summation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA-Vapite

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Los Angeles
As one newbie to others I thought I would share my observations and experiences
Only 70 days of no tobacco smoking, but I am a hound for research and trying options

This can be a great new hobby, and/or just a great way to get off the analog habit

Fortunately live in an area (North Hollywood, CA) where there almost too many locations and Vapor Bars which are popping up all around me (at least 1- within 5 miles). But The online vendors can be quite good, and many have very low or no shipping.
But Finding a local store that can assist in questions, as well as offer tasting juices is a great way to go. Retail will be a bit more, but it's nice to have a rapport with your local store.

Understandably many of us are not only trying to kick the habit but save money.
The saving of money will come, but don't limit your options in the beginning.
Most of us spend 50.00 ++ a week in Cigs, so I gave myself that same funding options in the beginning to experiment

:2c:
OPTION 1
The Cigga-lites
Best Rechargeable Electronic Cigarette Buying Guide For 2013

Nothing wrong with them, and I bet they get better in 2014.
Personally but I think the next level up, is a more enjoyable experience and was what finally worked for me.M
ost Walgreens, CVS sell a 1 pieced disposable 300 puff option, to at least give you an idea of what these are about . The kits in the link can run ~ $50.00

:blink:
The EGO "style" Battery , tank and E-juice option

EGOBATTERIES -

• They come in different size lengths, which is based on the battery size and power duration
  • Some come with the option to have a variable voltage output setting, and the newer one's have LED displays with a USB bottom connection pass through
(means you can power in your car, and still VAPE if the battery gets low)

:glare:
TANKS

• Almost too many choices here
  • Kangar, Aspire, are 2 well popular and well known manufacturer, of many styles
  • Size, Cosmetic differences, and Styles are abundant.
  • I suggest 2-4 tanks in the beginning so you can easily mix and match with different juices
  • EVOD, T3, for the Kangar, or the new Aspire BDC tanks are my favorites
  • Buy one brand first and a pack of replacement coils that support all the tanks

:vapor:
JUICE

• Man. now you get to the options.
  • Think of flavors that you would enjoy, and NOT limit yourself to only a menthol or Marlboro Flavor.
  • There are some great Rich Tobacco flavors out there that I only wish a cigarette would have had
  • Strawberry, Peach, Cinnamon, can all be quite good!
  • This is where your local Vapor Store comes in handy, as they want to make you a regular, so try/try/try.
They should be fairly knowledgeable on what they are selling and offer a good selection to try

OPTION 3 and 4 and beyond
Here is where you get into more powerful batteries, more adjustment options, more power and more Vape Clouds.
My Knowledge here is pretty limited, but my new SVD is quite nice.
I do not suggest going this route initially, but if you enjoy Vaping as much as I do, you'll get there

Summation
As many of us have tried numerous methods to rid oneself, or reduce a 20/30/40 year habit of Tobacco burning, deserves serious attention! I personally tried this on a whim and have not looked back. My last cigarette I tried tasted so poor compered to my Blueberry waffle juice - how did I ever do that :)

I have helped some close friends discover the joy in Nicotine Vaping as what MUST BE a much healthier alternative to Tobacco burning.

Hope this is useful Info
LA-VAPITE

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Hey, congrats on your success. Excellent post and lots of good information for new folks. There is so much out there in the way of equipment, it can be very confusing for newcomers.

I'm probably not going to be a "hobbyist" sort at this. I tend to be a pragmatic person and will just stick with whatever works to keep me off cigarettes. I currently have an ego set up that is suiting my needs. But, I know, never say never.:blush:

I've already reversed my thinking about juices. I first thought I would want something that tasted like my cigarettes - Wrong, I am really liking Banana Nut Bread, and one that tastes a little like coconut cream pie. Ha!

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
As one newbie to others I thought I would share my observations and experiences
Only 70 days of no tobacco smoking, but I am a hound for research and trying options

This can be a great new hobby, and/or just a great way to get off the analog habit

Fortunately live in an area (North Hollywood, CA) where there almost too many locations and Vapor Bars which are popping up all around me (at least 1- within 5 miles). But The online vendors can be quite good, and many have very low or no shipping.
But Finding a local store that can assist in questions, as well as offer tasting juices is a great way to go. Retail will be a bit more, but it's nice to have a rapport with your local store.

Understandably many of us are not only trying to kick the habit but save money.
The saving of money will come, but don't limit your options in the beginning.
Most of us spend 50.00 ++ a week in Cigs, so I gave myself that same funding options in the beginning to experiment

:2c:
OPTION 1
The Cigga-lites
Best Rechargeable Electronic Cigarette Buying Guide For 2013

Nothing wrong with them, and I bet they get better in 2014.
Personally but I think the next level up, is a more enjoyable experience and was what finally worked for me.M
ost Walgreens, CVS sell a 1 pieced disposable 300 puff option, to at least give you an idea of what these are about . The kits in the link can run ~ $50.00

:blink:
The EGO "style" Battery , Tank and E-Juice option

EGOBATTERIES -

• They come in different size lengths, which is based on the battery size and power duration
  • Some come with the option to have a variable voltage output setting, and the newer one's have LED displays with a USB bottom connection pass through
(means you can power in your car, and still VAPE if the battery gets low)

:glare:
TANKS

• Almost too many choices here
  • Kangar, Aspire, are 2 well popular and well known manufacturer, of many styles
  • Size, Cosmetic differences, and Styles are abundant.
  • I suggest 2-4 tanks in the beginning so you can easily mix and match with different juices
  • EVOD, T3, for the Kangar, or the new Aspire BDC tanks are my favorites
  • Buy one brand first and a pack of replacement coils that support all the tanks

:vapor:
JUICE

• Man. now you get to the options.
  • Think of flavors that you would enjoy, and NOT limit yourself to only a menthol or Marlboro Flavor.
  • There are some great Rich Tobacco flavors out there that I only wish a cigarette would have had
  • Strawberry, Peach, Cinnamon, can all be quite good!
  • This is where your local Vapor Store comes in handy, as they want to make you a regular, so try/try/try.
They should be fairly knowledgeable on what they are selling and offer a good selection to try

OPTION 3 and 4 and beyond
Here is where you get into more powerful batteries, more adjustment options, more power and more Vape Clouds.
My Knowledge here is pretty limited, but my new SVD is quite nice.
I do not suggest going this route initially, but if you enjoy Vaping as much as I do, you'll get there

Summation
As many of us have tried numerous methods to rid oneself, or reduce a 20/30/40 year habit of Tobacco burning, deserves serious attention! I personally tried this on a whim and have not looked back. My last cigarette I tried tasted so poor compered to my Blueberry waffle juice - how did I ever do that :)

I have helped some close friends discover the joy in Nicotine Vaping as what MUST BE a much healthier alternative to Tobacco burning.

Hope this is useful Info
LA-VAPITE

sounds like you are more than a newbie :)

altho i do disagree on one thing holding off on the purchase of the upper middle class vape equipment, skip the eGo battery phase and goto the SVD/VAMO type. As the OP stated ...you are going to get there anyway :) no sense in spending 40-80$ on the low middle class phase...
I tried Blu's ( the batteries died within a month) went to eGo's ( they died in 2 months) Went to the Vamo3 ( 2 of them, ones dead from a drop, the other dropped too and the screen is dead but still vapes) Got an SVD ... just awesome, altho I havent dropped it yet, probably will with my previous record... but its built better than the Vamo

LA-Vapite

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Los Angeles
Good job !! Only thing I would add is that there are also many good top-coil tank units for those coming directly off cigarettes who crave a warmer vape..Vivi novas and I-clears come to mind...Just my 2 cents :)

Goof Point Nashville Dave.
I just found that the messy Ocypus looking tanks through me off.
Being able to Purchase The Kangar Family with only needing one coli for all was a plus.

I actually have started replacing many of my Kanger's with The new BDC form Aspire.
They are really wonderful

But I still like my disposable CE3's as well, as they do give a nice flavorful warm hit

Ppint is to try a variety, as juice/tank/battery combo's all have a unique offering

Banana Vap70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2014
AZ, USA
It's nice to see others with the same experiences. What a great accomplishment. I am amazed at the amount of time I have spent trying to learn about everything. By the time I get to where I think I understand something, then that's old news and there is new stuff to learn.

I started out using the disposable e-cig from Walgreens and did not know anything about vaping, the point for me was to be able to smoke in situations where I couldn't, in company vehicles etc. What that showed me was that it actually worked as far as the nic cravings. I have wanted to quit for many years and this spurred my research.

I started with an VV Ego twist with the C4 tanks and never looked back. I have since purchased a Kanger Pro Mini, but I don't really think the flavor is better then the C4, so I haven't been using it. I would prefer a rebuild-able tank over a disposable one for cost sake, but also do not want to throw good money after bad at it. I have also opted for convenience sake when out and about and at work, to use the smaller batteries (cig size), not sure how they are referred to 510 or 801 IDK. I have a V2 cig but prefer my Halo G6. I fill my own cartridges and will be starting to DIY juice within a week or so.

The equipment bug didn't bite me but the DIY juice bug did. Hobby or obsession....not sure.

LA-Vapite

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Los Angeles

altho i do disagree on one thing holding off on the purchase of the upper middle class vape equipment, skip the eGo battery phase and goto the SVD/VAMO type. As the OP stated ...you are going to get there anyway :) no sense in spending 40-80$ on the low middle class phase...
I tried Blu's ( the batteries died within a month) went to eGo's ( they died in 2 months) Went to the Vamo3 ( 2 of them, ones dead from a drop, the other dropped too and the screen is dead but still vapes) Got an SVD ... just awesome, altho I havent dropped it yet, probably will with my previous record... but its built better than the Vamo

I see you point Bunny Killer,
Personally, I carry 2batts and 2 tanks, plus a spare tank juiced and ready to go.
The Ego's and My iTaste V3 are a bit easier to deal with.
Makes Lunch Breaks, and quick hits in the office Bathroom, easy.
I found the SVD to be an improved experience, but I like saving that for my Home and week-ends.
I know many at my work many are using the min ego's since they do not feel comfortable with a light saber in the break area !

I just started using VW and see the advantage of such,
In the beginning, I preferred a more plug N play solution.

I have tons to learn as well as what I get for my first mechanical, but still new to all this !:blush:

CosmicCatalyst

Dec 31, 2013
Evansville, IN
I agree with skipping "entry level" setups and going straight to wet feet setups. If it wasnt for a Vision Spinner I'd never be vaping still. I kinda wish I would've shelled out the extra bucks for an MVP 2 to really get me started. I was looking at it compared to analogs. I was used to paying $5 a day for analogs not making investments.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa

If you're talking about mods, I agree - an MVP II or vv/vw using rechargeable batteries (safe batteries) should be a standard part of every new vapor's toolkit.

But, if you're talking about things like drippers, mechs, and KayFuns, STRONGLY disagree.

TXSundevil

Oct 9, 2013
Dallas, TX, USA
Welcome to the Forum! Great post! It's always great to see another persons perspective on what is out there right now, what worked for them and what they would recommend to someone just joining the fold. Have been busy reading some rather heated discussions on the forum the last few days/weeks, and it was just really refreshing to see this. After all, this is what its all about, vapers helping vapers, learning, and growing together. I wish you many many more smoke free days, and hope your vaping journey brings you and those you touch tons and tons of happiness. I'm going to stop now be for I burp a rainbow or something. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread