Newbie to RTA’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi S

Jan 24, 2019
UK
hi all,

So I currently use a mesh pro tank (in fact I have 3 and have never had a problem with them). Flavour is amazing and finding the right set-up has totally changed my vaping experience and kept me off the stinkies. I currently use an Aegis Legend with the mesh pro.

However, I am starting to look at RTA’s. I don’t want to do RDA’s as I don’t want to be dripping all the time. I was looking at:

- The Oumier Wasp nano RTA
- The Geek vape Zeus X RTA

I would use pre-made coils to start with. The wasp nano because it’s supposed to be really simple to start off with, however it is only single coil and I like warmer vapes - currently vaping on the mesh pro around 80 - 85 watts on both double and triple coils. So I started looking at the Zeus X, which again is supposed to be pretty simple but better as I can use dual coils for higher wattage. My questions are:

1. As somebody completely new to RTA’s which one would be better?
2. Would the flavour on an RTA be better than the Mesh Pro?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The thing about rebuildable tank atomizers is the wicking can be tricky and getting it "right" kinda makes or breaks them if you get my drift.

If I were you, I'd watch a few demo videos on You Tube of whatever RTA you are considering, paying close attention to how the reviewer is wicking the tank. Watch for the amount and thickness of the cotton used, how the tails are shaped, cut, and placed etc.

Last edited:

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
1. As somebody completely new to RTA’s which one would be better?
zeus single coil, the most complete and easy RTa to begun with, just take a watch to some videos about wicking

2. Would the flavour on an RTA be better than the Mesh Pro?
totally, RTA's provide better flava, bigger coils and the most important fact, since they are meant for being re-build time by time you are the one that chooses the wire and cotton, personally i dont like mesh coils...

Between those two I would go with the Zeus X. It's top air and the Wasp is bottom air, I believe. Top air RTA's take a lot of the frustration out of RTA's. They don't leak thru the air holes.
totally on the point, but zeus x could be a triccky one, postless decks with wicking ports or holes... dunno, seems a bit advanced for me, also paraoh mini could be another interesting tank to start with, and flavor on this RTA is amazing, despite being botton air is hard to get leaks or dry hits, also have a liquid control valve

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Have to agree with above poster about the Zeus single coil RTA. I have all three Zeus attys and imo the Zeus has better flavor and is easier to build on.
the only tricky thing is the wick ends, i use to leave wick ends touching deck bottom, to avoid dry hits,

Did you mean Wasp nano single coil? Or is there another Zeus single coil RTA? Thanks
zeus-rta-blue-and-silver.jpg

I have both and agree they are both great, easy to build. I’d recommend the Zeus X first for the top air. If that’s the one you go with, I’d suggest putting the bubble glass on, because it’s easier to fill than the straight glass.
i dont have zeus X but have done coils for it, a lazy friend owns one, always asks for coils and wicks, i found better and pretty much simple zeus single compared to X

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Keep in mind that you will not find a simple RTA that will give you anywhere near the flavor of the Mesh Pro with the double or triple coils.

Also top air RTAs are not the answer, it either needs to be a side or bottom air tank.

I would recommend the Aromamizer Plus, it's an awesome tank and Steam Craves best to date IMHO. Using the postless deck with a pair of 4mm Aliens really shines for flavor and vapor.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
As far as top air RTAs my OG Zeus single was just alright, never anything special. Once I picked up the QP Design Juggerknot the Zeus was quickly put back it it's box for piffing. The Juggerknot will run dual coil or a big centered single, the Juggeknot Mini is the single coil version. It's the only top air that I've actually had any decent performance from compared to regular RTAs.

Like anything in the vape game YMMV. ;)

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Good choice! Rebuildables open up a world of possibilities. It is liberating to leave behind the "razor blade model" of disposable proprietary drop-in coil assemblies. All you need is wire, wick, nic and know-how and you'll survive the vapoccalypse.

A good starting point would be the included pair of 0.4ohm coils which should give you a final result of 0.2ohm. Choose any coil that looks like it has a lot of surface area. Ni80 is a nice material. The top airflow Zeus X is very forgiving and will save you from making too much of a mess until you get your wicking technique figured out.

Stick to variable wattage "power" mode since the Legend's TC is meant only for Geekvape pre-built mesh coil assemblies.
Would the flavour on an RTA be better than the Mesh Pro?
I seriously doubt it. RTAs are known for muted flavor and you can't compete with mesh for surface area.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
As far as top air RTAs my OG Zeus single was just alright, never anything special. Once I picked up the QP Design Juggerknot the Zeus was quickly put back it it's box for piffing. The Juggerknot will run dual coil or a big centered single, the Juggeknot Mini is the single coil version. It's the only top air that I've actually had any decent performance from compared to regular RTAs.

Like anything in the vape game YMMV. ;)

Thanks for reminding me I need a Juggerknot mini.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello Heidi S, may I chime in and mention Geekvape Ammit 25.

It's a Single Coil, Bottom Airflow RTA.

It's a bit of a pain to wick right, but it can be rewarding when you get how it likes to be wicked. Also found out by experimenting that it will work in TC/TCR mode, even though Geekvape themselves say it shouldn't.

If you decide to try one, I could give you a few pointers.

And RDA's are worth considering, if you Squonk. This resolves the issue of dripping, and they're somewhat easier to work with than RTA's.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I seriously doubt it. RTAs are known for muted flavor and you can't compete with mesh for surface area.
well... there are Mesh RDA's too, and i could tell that tanks like Paraoh mini RTA, zeus single and revolver are amazing for flavor, actually i havent had or know about a tank like those for flavor, so muted flavor is not something i could recall from RTA's, wicking and some leaking issues are from RTA's... like the manta RTA that have a interesting wicking tecnique and also coilart's mage V1 RTA ... but flavor, is always amaing with them !

Hello Heidi S, may I chime in and mention Geekvape Ammit 25.

It's a Single Coil, Bottom Airflow RTA.
another RTa that i like to add to my collection, another dualcoil but amazing is blitzen RTA, side flow tank... but, with the bubble pirex looks like crap,
It's a bit of a pain to wick right, but it can be rewarding when you get how it likes to be wicked. Also found out by experimenting that it will work in TC/TCR mode, even though Geekvape themselves say it shouldn't.
well i love those experiments, im currently like that but with the ammit mtl rta and saltz, amazing lad!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The Wotofo Profile Unity mesh RTA is the new kid in town. Having used both the Freemax Mesh Pro tank, and the Unity mesh RTA there are a lot of similarities with the experience. But subjectively I feel the Unity mesh is better in terms of vapor production and flavour. I’ve only owned the Unity for a day now so no long term evaluation. But if it shadows its RDA counterpart, wicking should last a good month+ sans any dry burns.

Won’t say the Unity mesh betters some of the coil type RTA’s that have been mentioned. The vape experience from mesh differs from that of a coil – that difference must have value to an end user. Some like it, some do not. The vape with the Unity is warm, warmer than the Profile RDA at the same wattage. But if you like a hotter vape, perhaps a coil type RTA is better suited. Mesh does not scale the same in terms of heat like a coil does. Rampup and cool down time is non existent which plays into a more consistent vape. And flavour is on point.

There is a learning curve to properly wicking any RTA, and the Unity is no exception. But it does come with wicking instructions (that work if followed) and there are many YT videos to follow. I did have a problem with flooding/leaking once the tank was filled and the cap screwed on due to pressure build up. But that seems to have rectified it’s self once I disassembled and reassembled the RTA. Wicks were not touched. And since I have had a leak/flood free experience with no dry hits operating between 60 and 70 watts. Higher wattage, YMMV

You can go through juice a lot quicker with mesh at the same power level of a coil, so the 5ml max capacity should be taken into consideration should this be of concern. But if running high wattages with a coil, especially a dual coil, you can run into the same juice consumption.

I much prefer an RDA over an RTA so my exposure to other RTA’s is limited. But the Unity mesh performs almost identically to its Profile RDA brother. It’s a mesh RDA with a tank!

Reactions: TrollDragon

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
the only tricky thing is the wick ends, i use to leave wick ends touching deck bottom, to avoid dry hits,

zeus-rta-blue-and-silver.jpg

i dont have zeus X but have done coils for it, a lazy friend owns one, always asks for coils and wicks, i found better and pretty much simple zeus single compared to X

I never had a problem with the wicks. I actually us longer tails than some of the reviewers and have never had any leaking, flooding or dry hits. The only time I got a semi dry hit was when I had the tails cut way short like mikes vapes does. I think it was him. It’s been pretty forgiving for me.

I’ve been lucky though - for some reason I’ve never had wicking issues with any of the RTAs I’ve bought. That may be due to being OCD about watching every build video I can find on a particular atty before I even attempt to try it lol!

As I’ve said earlier somewhere the only atty that gave me a bit of trouble was the SC Supreme V2 oozing around the juice control ring. But after checking out the video and tutorial on their web page that ended.

Now watch- I probably just jinxed myself lol!!

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I never had a problem with the wicks. I actually us longer tails than some of the reviewers and have never had any leaking, flooding or dry hits. The only time I got a semi dry hit was when I had the tails cut way short like mikes vapes does. I think it was him. It’s been pretty forgiving for me.

I’ve been lucky though - for some reason I’ve never had wicking issues with any of the RTAs I’ve bought. That may be due to being OCD about watching every build video I can find on a particular atty before I even attempt to try it lol!

As I’ve said earlier somewhere the only atty that gave me a bit of trouble was the SC Supreme V2 oozing around the juice control ring. But after checking out the video and tutorial on their web page that ended.

Now watch- I probably just jinxed myself lol!!
i did have some with the zeus when launched, but so far im quite happy with it, also with coilart mage ... actually this is the unique tank i bring to my friend vape shop to rebuild, cuz too hard for me

Regards,

Reactions: TrollDragon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread