Newbie vaper looking for RDA recommends for high/all vg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazling

Jun 4, 2019
Hey vapemeisters

Newbie here, struggling up the learning curve and still bewildered by the wild variety of hardware and acronyms and so on. I'm not really in it for the active ingredients (no nic, maybe just a smidge of CBD now and then) but rather for the taste, the amusement of the hobby, and the pretty clouds. In that order (not a cloud chaser really).

I'm trying to sample a number of different juices having discovered that I don't like the taste of PG and I don't like artificial flavours; got some small samples from natural-flavour and high-vg providers and now I'm looking for a recommend for the best casual RDA setup for pure taste and frequent flavour switching. Note that I'm a n00b and really intimidated by making my own coils etc, so please keep it simple! An RDA with a small liquid capacity that takes standard (not too expensive) coils, and a battery that has the power to vaporise high vg juices (but hopefully not so hot that it burns them), those are my goals.

I've been improvising with cheap disposable DA and pen batteries but looking for something a bit easier to clean, longer lasting, etc. One possibility I came up with:

HH.357 Cisco Spec Hybrid 510 Atomizer

I still don't understand all the language I'm reading :) but it seems like this atomiser head can take standard OTS coils of different resistances, is 510 threaded, and at 2 ohm or higher might play well with

Vision Vapros Spinner 2 | eGo VV Battery 1600mAh | Online Vape Shop Canada

If I am misinterpreting the language, or if there are other far better options that I'm too ignorant even to know the search terms for, please educate me... am I going down a bogus path here?

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
You've certainly picked a difficult path by restricting yourself to VG only flavors and obscure, pretentious equipment. And the entire pursuit is an exercise in self-indulgence since you don't even need the nicotine. You must be a hipster.

I don't understand all the language HH is using either. It looks like it's a very old school device (from 2013) that runs at 4-10W. And it appears to be saying that the Spinner eGo variable voltage battery would be acceptable with a 2.0ohm or higher coil.

I think you should look for something modern. Vaping has improved immensely since that thing was invented. If you want to go fancy handcrafted try a Svoemesto Kayfun or something.

Tazling

Jun 4, 2019
@GOMuniEsq: hipster ha ha :) I'm over 60 and mostly into exploring the possibility of substituting tasty vaping for snacking, which I have a bad habit of doing absentmindedly when reading etc. So taste is all important :) Also I have no idea what equipment is pretentious and what is cheap cr*p and what is good stuff, or what is old school and what is shiny new... I'm a complete n00b. That's why I'm appealing to those who know more.

Thanks for making a specific suggestion! The Kayfun seems kind of "elite" for a beginner like me, also pricey... but if there's something that makes it perfect for my application I guess I'd consider it rather than buy N different RDAs and discard them as unacceptable before finally finding the good one. You can spend just as much that way, as I've discovered with various other technologies or tools.

I'm just looking for a really simple RDA and fairly capable battery pack, so I can try small samples of a bunch of different VG-heavy juices without having to do a whole lot of washing and drying of clearomizers. What I am not looking for is a big serious mod with a vast juice reservoir :)

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Hey vapemeisters

Newbie here, struggling up the learning curve and still bewildered by the wild variety of hardware and acronyms and so on. I'm not really in it for the active ingredients (no nic, maybe just a smidge of ... now and then) but rather for the taste, the amusement of the hobby, and the pretty clouds. In that order (not a cloud chaser really).

I'm trying to sample a number of different juices having discovered that I don't like the taste of PG and I don't like artificial flavours; got some small samples from natural-flavour and high-vg providers and now I'm looking for a recommend for the best casual RDA setup for pure taste and frequent flavour switching. Note that I'm a n00b and really intimidated by making my own coils etc, so please keep it simple! An RDA with a small liquid capacity that takes standard (not too expensive) coils, and a battery that has the power to vaporise high vg juices (but hopefully not so hot that it burns them), those are my goals.

I've been improvising with cheap disposable DA and pen batteries but looking for something a bit easier to clean, longer lasting, etc. One possibility I came up with:

HH.357 Cisco Spec Hybrid 510 Atomizer

I still don't understand all the language I'm reading :) but it seems like this atomiser head can take standard OTS coils of different resistances, is 510 threaded, and at 2 ohm or higher might play well with

Vision Vapros Spinner 2 | eGo VV Battery 1600mAh | Online Vape Shop Canada

If I am misinterpreting the language, or if there are other far better options that I'm too ignorant even to know the search terms for, please educate me... am I going down a bogus path here?
Well, you do seem to be a little terminologically overwhelmed (that's OK, and understandable). Firstly, an RDA is a "rebuildable" dripping atomizer, so you would need to build your own coils for one of those (though there might be one or two obscure ones that take certain drop-in coils).

The HH.357 you mentioned is an old fashioned 510 dripping atomizer --- you don't build, nor buy coils for it, it has a coil in it (whatever resistance you order). You screw it onto your device and drip a few drops into it and take a few vapes, and repeat. It was one of the better (but pricier) of that style atomizer when those were popular. You could purchase a 2.0 ohm version and use it on an ego-style device if you wanted. There are much less expensive 510 dripping atomizers out there if you want that kind of thing. For example (since you linked to Canvape):

Genuine Joyetech 510 Atomizer Black, Stainless and White, SR or LR

306 Low Resistance Atomizer V2 Canada Cheap Clouds E-juice DIY Best Cheapest Price Fast Free Shipping British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfounland. Electronic Cigarette e-cig e-cigarette Canada.

(the second is a 306 ... don't worry, it has 510 threads and will work on a 510/ego battery, I know 'cause I still use these on occasion). Remember though, a few drops, a few vapes, repeat ... not something like a tank you can fill and go.

There is a lot to learn, but it can be fairly easy to get up and running with something simple without a great deal of cash spent. The type of atomizer you mentioned (and I linked to) is a bit old school, so not necessarily widely available. However, it might be just the ticket for how you want to start out.

Any further questions just ask away. Do tell us where you are located so we might direct you to appropriate shops in the future (you can set your location in your profile so everyone will see it).

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm a bit confused... are you sure you want a RDA? Also, what percent VG are you wanting? 70,80? Maybe not what you would expect, but this thing caught my attention. It's way different. Uses a flat mesh "coil" and has small replaceable cotton wicks (comes with 50) I want one because I'm learning to make my own juices and I can try different flavors and just change the wick each time.
You are being redirected...
The "coil" comes with the "pod" and they only cost $2 Easy to carry around too.
I have a simple RDA using a single coil (but it can use two) but you have to rewick it... kinda tricky, and I can add a tank which makes it a RDTA. I'm not sure you are ready to get into all that (I'm just learning myself)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm a bit confused... are you sure you want a RDA? Also, what percent VG are you wanting? 70,80? Maybe not what you would expect, but this thing caught my attention. It's way different. Uses a flat mesh "coil" and has small replaceable cotton wicks (comes with 50) I want one because I'm learning to make my own juices and I can try different flavors and just change the wick each time.
I have a simple RDA using a single coil (but it can use two) but you have to rewick it... kinda tricky, and I can add a tank which makes it a RDTA. I'm not sure you are ready to get into all that (I'm just learning myself)
I’m also confused by this person. Many many contradictory statements. He’s “not interested in clouds” but wants an RDA.
He doesn’t like “artificial flavors”, but that’s literally all that can be put in ecigs. The very term “natural flavoring” is a fallacy.
The Taste Makers
It just means an artificial flavor that isn’t subject to safety testing. All “natural flavor” means is stuff that is illegal to put in vape juice because it’s unsafe.
He doesn’t like PG and thinks VG will be better, but the whole point behind using PG at all is it has less taste and clearer flavor than VG.

I think this person would be better off not vaping.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
@GOMuniEsq: hipster ha ha :) I'm over 60 and mostly into exploring the possibility of substituting tasty vaping for snacking, which I have a bad habit of doing absentmindedly when reading etc. So taste is all important :) Also I have no idea what equipment is pretentious and what is cheap cr*p and what is good stuff, or what is old school and what is shiny new... I'm a complete n00b. That's why I'm appealing to those who know more.

Thanks for making a specific suggestion! The Kayfun seems kind of "elite" for a beginner like me, also pricey... but if there's something that makes it perfect for my application I guess I'd consider it rather than buy N different RDAs and discard them as unacceptable before finally finding the good one. You can spend just as much that way, as I've discovered with various other technologies or tools.

I'm just looking for a really simple RDA and fairly capable battery pack, so I can try small samples of a bunch of different VG-heavy juices without having to do a whole lot of washing and drying of clearomizers. What I am not looking for is a big serious mod with a vast juice reservoir :)
So the requirements are cheap, not crap, compatible with max-VG, easy to change flavors, and tastes great.
I guess you chose that weird old equipment because of the discount price. Yeah, forget that stuff.
And you chose an RDA for the reputation for good flavor, and ease of changing flavors, but there's a disadvantage: You'll have to put your book down every few minutes to refill it. I don't think you want an RDA.
And we can rule out modern pod systems which would otherwise tick all the boxes, because they don't work well with viscous max-VG juice.
Maybe check out what the tootle puffers are using.
Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

Reactions: bombastinator

Tazling

Jun 4, 2019

Best reply yet! I only want the RDA for evaluating juice flavours... keep trying to explain that, and you seem to have understood. I can happily use a tank device (for casual "snacking" while reading, say) later -- once I find out which flavours I like. So your usage pattern here is a good match for mine. That sounds like just the ticket. Only question is, can you buy extra packs of cotton wicks? or do you just use up the first pack and then buy another whole outfit?

[a few minutes later after checking a website organised more along my own cognitive lines] yes -- packs of wicks are cheap and available, and so are replacement heads. I have placed my order! I think this device will do very well for testing flavours and be quite affordable to own.

Last edited:

Tazling

Jun 4, 2019
Well, you do seem to be a little terminologically overwhelmed (that's OK, and understandable).
(followed by some very useful information!)

thanks! yup, dropping into the vape tech scene as an ignoramus is an alice-in-wonderland experience no matter how many jargon dictionaries I try to absorb. terminologically speaking, I'm underwater and sinking fast! but your answer to my ignorant questions is a good one... and I've bookmarked those links. I notice that vape gear seems to go out of stock quickly -- reading "best of" lists and then hunting down the recommended models, I have found a lot of "out of stock" and "no longer available" results. I'm guessing that the market is still expanding, the tech is still developing at high speed, and obsolescence is measured in months rather than years?

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Thank you so much! Glad to help. Didn't know if I was way off base and wasting your time. Please let me know if you like the unique device. Only drawback (from reviews) is it has "loose" air draw but you could easily partly cover the inlet hole (or even use your finger between vaping draws to keep the wick saturated (it's called "primer puffs) Have a great day.

Reactions: Eskie

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    For tasting ejuice mixes you can get away with a cheap clone rda on fasttech. I used to use the Hadaly clone RDA.

But as I've recently started going down the squonking rabbit hole - I've found an amazing flavour RDA that is priced $3.16 at fasttech. It would work just fine to 'taste' your mixes or ejuices. It's easier to build and wick than the Hadaly too:

Hussar V1 Styled RDA - $3.16

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    For tasting ejuice mixes you can get away with a cheap clone rda on fasttech. I used to use the Hadaly clone RDA.

But as I've recently started going down the squonking rabbit hole - I've found an amazing flavour RDA that is priced $3.16 at fasttech. It would work just fine to 'taste' your mixes or ejuices. It's easier to build and wick than the Hadaly too:

Hussar V1 Styled RDA - $3.16
    Sweet suggestion. I just ordered one as a 'taster' atomizer to take some of the trial and error out of mixing.

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    While you are waiting... watch some reviews on you tube. This guy is a bit much, but it's a good review:

Suggestions while viewing the above vid. Use closed caption. That way you dont have to put up with his foul language.
    Lol
    :)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    If you just want a quick preview of a juice, you could just soak the wick, take a few draws, re-soak wick and take a few more (without filling tank) Change the wick and repeat for next juice. That's what I want to try, but if the wick gets too dry it will have a nasty "burnt" taste. Once you find a few you really like, if you have several pods, go ahead and fill them and swap when you want to switch up flavors.

Reactions: Eskie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread